Transfer Failures (or mis-management?), over the last 3 years

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I couldn’t disagree more. We’re a complete mish mash of a squad and we don’t really have the personnel to play a formation that would see us compete. We have very little pace in our side and only one out and out winger. Not only that, we’ve given big wages to players that consistently warm the bench. 

We had an ideal opportunity to build and rebalance the summer we lost Grealish but signing Bailey, Buendia and Ings was anything but using common sense. Grealish played on the left so we signed two right sided attackers and a back up, past his best striker on 125k a week? It was an awful window. Why do you think we’re playing a striker as a left winger today? Is that acceptable having spent the money we have? El Ghazi is a better left sided attacker than Watkins. Sanson? Dendoncker? That’s £25m on two players that will barely feature. I also probably wouldn’t use examples of players signing for Spurs as a way to support our scouting department. 

Gerrard is a huge issue for this club, no doubt, but we’ve been scattergun ever since Grealish left. 

Our transfer policy is haphazard at best and shambolic at worst. Purslow needs to answer for that. He’s spent a LOT of money. 

I am with you on the fact that the starting team is a mish mash and would benefit from being more balanced. 

But in relation to the Sanson and Dendonker comment,  it's not Purslow who is deciding to keep them benched.

Sanson was highly rated in a position we needed, and someone was needed as a quick replacement for Kamara's injury. 

I know we're not going to agree here, but I think at the time of each signings, they fitted the spec of what we needed. Hindsight says some haven't turned out as expected, rather than it being obvious when we brought them in.

I think we've missed out on signing a 'big' attacking player for the left, but changing to Gerrard meant we went for Coutinho instead of a wide player. 

Haphazard and shambolic describes how the players are being used, not the thought process when signing them.

Just now, May-Z said:

I am with you on the fact that the starting team is a mish mash and would benefit from being more balanced. 

But in relation to the Sanson and Dendonker comment,  it's not Purslow who is deciding to keep them benched.

Sanson was highly rated in a position we needed, and someone was needed as a quick replacement for Kamara's injury. 

I know we're not going to agree here, but I think at the time of each signings, they fitted the spec of what we needed. Hindsight says some haven't turned out as expected, rather than it being obvious when we brought them in.

I think we've missed out on signing a 'big' attacking player for the left, but changing to Gerrard meant we went for Coutinho instead of a wide player. 

Haphazard and shambolic describes how the players are being used, not the thought process when signing them.

All really fair points. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

There isn’t one. The Ings transfer was the one that bugged me the most. It was no coincidence that he just so happened to appear out of the blue when Grealish was confirmed as leaving. It happened so quickly because both him and Southampton couldn’t believe the offer we’d made to them. Ings isn’t a bad player, but no sensible club spends £25m on striker with no resale value, a history of injuries and then makes him the top paid player at the club. Especially as Watkins was guaranteed to start most weeks at the time. We should have spent that money on a left sided attacker or a central midfielder. Either way, that’s long gone now. 

The Dendoncker transfer is worrying simply because he couldn’t get in the Wolves side and it was clearly a complete failure of the scouting department to accept you need another central midfielder but then go and spend £12m on a benchwarmer from a club down the road. All the leagues, in all the world, with all the data we have, we land on Dendoncker?

Like I say, these things worry me just as much as Gerrard being our manager does.

Â