January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

15 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

What would Gallagher add to the squad? Im not saying he’s a bad player but he doesn’t improve our midfield.

He does have a higher xAG per 90 than anyone else in our squad. Could help with chance creation.

Look at the goal Chelsea scored here for example. Quality cross and his crossing stats in general are quite exceptional for a midfielder.

Edit: Here's another example of him putting in a quality cross in at the 7 minute mark.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

We will be fine.  I'd be worried about the squad if Gerrard was still in charge, but Emery is at the wheel. The below is enough to see out the season, add a few youth players as well for good measure.

GK - Martinez/Olsen
RB - A. Young/Cash
CB - Konsa/Chambers
CB - Mings/Carlos
LB - Moreno/Digne
RM - J. Ramsey/McGinn
CM - Luiz/Dendoncker
CM - Kamara/McGinn
LM - Buendia/Coutinho
SS - Bailey/Buendia
CF - Watkins/Duran

Lining them up is all nice and tidy, but I feel as if we're going to struggle to break teams down. There's not much pace there apart from about three players, and there's not much creativity apart from pretty much one. Maybe Moreno will help more with that than I realise—he does add necessary pace to the left side.

We've proven we can grind out results, but we've also been lucky too, and a little over-reliant on Martinez in the last two wins against not very good teams. We've lost the ball near enough constantly in the last few games. I think we might be in for a bit of a meh second half of the season. I'm sure there'll be results, but our luck will run out too.

• Shocked 1

Just now, Rolta said:

Lining them up is all nice and tidy, but I feel as if we're going to struggle to break teams down. There's not much pace there apart from about three players, and there's not much creativity apart from pretty much one. Maybe Moreno will help more with that than I realise—he does add necessary pace to the left side.

We've proven we can grind out results, but we've also been lucky too, and a little over-reliant on Martinez in the last two wins against not very good teams. We've lost the ball near enough constantly in the last few games. I think we might be in for a bit of a meh second half of the season. I'm sure there'll be results, but our luck will run out too.

This is a post full of really bad takes, fyi.

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not if he isnt scoring he wont. He needs to work on that. No one is a guranteed starter under emery

Yeah, he will. It's a team game and goals are shared around - he is a tremendous foil for the players around him and he plays a major part in our system. He's going nowhere.

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

We destroyed United and Spurs with that team. Yes, we'll probably lose a few games, and we'll probably win a few, not the end of the world is it? 

If Emery is happy with the squad, then i'm happy.

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He does have a higher xAG than anyone else in our squad. Could help with chance creation.

Look at the goal Chelsea scored here for example. Quality cross and his crossing stats in general are quite exceptional for a midfielder.

No he doesn't. If you look at Fbref that's for midfielders. Next to that tab is Att mid/Wingers and he's 15% with 0.13 xAG Buendia is 0.26 Bailey is 0.15

Can't look at Fbref percentiles without factoring in vs position. He looks good amongst DM/CM but it's excluding AM and wingers 

Edited by Kiwivillan

21 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Don Unai is setting the standard and shifting all the deadwood is of a bigger importance than signings for the sake of it. Moreno and Duran show we are willing to spend in a difficult window. 

Getting rid of players now means we can go into the summer without being restricted on who we can sign. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's nearly half a season. More games than usual at this stage due to the world cup break.

That's another point, games are gonna be compressed. Teams that can rotate are gonna have an advantage.

• Like 1

The main issue if there are no last minute loans is obviously, what if Watkins gets injured. I know he's a healthy lad but still there should be some sort of planning.

Do we really start Duran every game and let him play 90 minutes -- I would think not. Maybe Bailey and Buendia as forwards?

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Getting rid of players now means we can go into the summer without being restricted on who we can sign. 

Depends if our league position suffers. Whole new constraint.

I think it should be fairly obvious we will not be signing other teams rejects - the likes of Chelsea are actively trying to replace these types of players by spending huge sums of money in the process. They then hope to recoup some of that back by charging insane amounts for those that they are trying to get rid of. I’d like to think we are beyond that now and it’s teams like a very desperate Everton that will be taking up those opportunities.
We, on the other hand, are looking to take star players from teams. We haven’t been successful (yet), and I’m not sure we will be this window, so may have to resort to a solitary loan from somewhere… not ideal. But, it is what it is. 

Im disappointed with the window, I think I’m allowed to be, as I have said all along, it feels like a missed opportunity to finish really well. 

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

God, could you imagine.

A headless chicken who can't play with the ball anywhere near to the extent we need.

It would reak of a Purslow deal if it happened.

I remember when we sold Chuk it was because he was sat next to Boehly at some sort of function and they negotiated during that.

Lets hope they didn't swap numbers.

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

No he doesn't. If you look at Fbref that's for midfielders. Next to that tab is Att mid/Wingers and he's 15% with 0.13 xAG Buendia is 0.26

I was looking at the league this season. Not in the past 365 days. 

Gallagher is on 0.22 this season whilst Buendia is on 0.15.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

The main issue if there are no last minute loans is obviously, what if Watkins gets injured. I know he's a healthy lad but still there should be some sort of planning.

Do we really start Duran every game and let him play 90 minutes -- I would think not. Maybe Bailey and Buendia as forwards?

I've often wondered what constitutes an 'emergency loan' that I've heard so much about? I take it that having no players cos of injury doesn't count? Or does it?

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

It would reak of a Purslow deal if it happened.

I remember when we sold Chuk it was because he was sat next to Boehly at some sort of function and they negotiated during that.

Lets hope they didn't swap numbers.

To be fair. That's one of Purslow's best bits of work since he's been at Villa.

10 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

This is a post full of really bad takes, fyi.

Every bit of it happened though. I know we had moments of good play against Leeds and Southampton, but we definitely rode our luck at times, and we were losing the ball a lot too. Martinez made about 4/5 great saves between the two games. Tbh, I should add the Wolves game into that one too—they were all over us, though of course we could have won it at the end (notably we have sold our goal scorer from that game, and the same guy who almost provided the assist for the winner).

Yes, against the big teams we look more solid, but against the lesser teams we've looked less so (I think a similar thing happened to Emery at Arsenal, though I am not an expert). It's against the lesser teams where I anticipate problems, and for the reasons I said.

We're light. We have very few options to change things in the game.

If this was the end of the summer transfer window, plenty more people would be screwing about how light we are. We'd be praying to get through to January without an injury to our only striker or our only winger—we have basically the same number of games now.

Edited by Rolta