January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not at all optimistic 

On one hand i get it why spend money that wont improve us whwn we could spend big in the summer, on the other hand we are in with a outside chance of top 7

Will plop and chelsea be this bad next season? Im not so sure

The thing is if we sign a player who is no better than Watkins then we have back up if one or other of those Strikers are injured. The issue is it doesn't improve the 1st team. It also means our Striker search ends because we'd have 2 senior Strikers and Duran. If we believe there are a few Strikers available in summer who are better than Watkins then the right decision is to clearly wait. The fact that the other PL clubs have all been desperate to get Strikers in should mean a little less competition in Summer too. 

These are the types of decisions that need to be made. It's all calculated risk taking. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

If Dembele goes to Southampton for 3m that will be a shame - one we should have got in for sure. 

It does beg the question, for that sort of money, why isn’t there a queue down the street for him?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I don't want a back up to Watkins. 

I want a new starting striker. That's going to be easier to achieve in the summer. 

I agree, I just want one more attacking player in this window primarily who can play up top either with Watkins or also in Watkins place in case he gets injured. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I want a new starting striker. That's going to be easier to achieve in the summer. 

Watkins will likely play every game for us this year and next. Get used to it. Try to enjoy it, even. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

If Dembele goes to Southampton for 3m that will be a shame - one we should have got in for sure. 

Maybe Emery doesn’t rate him? The last thing we need is another Sanson, Nakamba situation.  

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He'll just end up going somewhere like Chelsea for triple the money in the summer of next January or something. Lol

These types in general I mean.

I think that's the plan. It's like the Gary Cahill situation - he wants to go somewhere for first team football and to prove himself. He's good enough IMO but not that many teams are going to guarantee a start to a 20 year-old CB coming out of the Ukrainian league. It's really sad tbh, this rumour was a beautiful blending of two worlds for me - much like you must've felt when we were linked with/signed Bailey. 

19 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It looks like we did some massive housecleaning and added 2 players - one a first team starter, the other a potential off the bench.

I'd say we had a 7/10 window, if we add a striker or guendouzhi we'd take it to 9/10.

I’m struggling to get past 5/10 overall at the moment.

Great getting out some of the fringe players, that’s huge.  

Letting go of Ings with no replacement is incredibly poor.

Bringing in an upcoming talent in Duran is great and another loan move out for Archer is great. One in, one out there for the second half of the season.

Moreno in seems a good deal, although not a desperate area needed for upgrading but Emery wanted him so all good.

Our attacking side was under strength before the window is now even weaker.

So as it stands it’s at best a 5 out of 10 window.  Hopefully that will improve after today.  I can’t imagine Emery will be satisfied with the window.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think it has been a great Premier League market for teams around us either, nobody has signed a player that stands out as a great deal who would automatically improve us. A lot of money has been spent and probably majority will provide little value 

I liked the look of Brentford's new forward, Schade. Hope he's not that good after all.

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I’m not sure it is because the number of clubs that want a striker in the summer is significant.  So our competition maybe harder in the summer to get our targets.

33 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

What's the point of signing someone who is not clearly an upgrade on what we have. We are busy trying to sell players like that today.

January is not the time we can really make signings that are upgrades on the first team. The summer will be that time. We have 1 game a week now so we can cope with what we have left and push forward in the summer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we don’t sign a striker the biggest disappointment for me will not be letting Ings leave. I totally get that. It’s letting Archer go out on loan.

I do see where you're coming from, but even if we kept Archer I just don't think this half season he would be used very often. 10, 15 min subs maybe. Starting week in for Boro is better for him if not us. 

I think we'll get a loan in though

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I do see where you're coming from, but even if we kept Archer I just don't think this half season he would be used very often. 10, 15 min subs maybe. Starting week in for Boro is better for him if not us. 

I think we'll get a loan in though

Yeh I guess we’re banking on Olie staying fit and Duran playing minutes here and there. There should be a recall option in certain circumstances really.