January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I wonder about Sarr… right now, could he be more effective for us than Bailey? I rate Leon but he hasn’t really hit the heights or reached top form… much more to come from him I think and believe… maybe some competition would help?

I would think we would be setting our sights higher but I do remember Sarr being a very pacy and dangerous (good finisher) player when Watford were in the PL, haven’t seen much of him in the Championship…

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

Workrate and pressing.

If you think in terms of the first 11 as opposed to the squad 25, you might have more of a point.....but I am talking squad.

I think in general, he is better than McGinn and Buendia.....and judging by his inclusion in the England squad, others too think he is in front of JJ.....but its just opinions, for what they are worth.

Its moot anyway, because it looks like no one is coming in...and Gallagher is not even linked.

We all know the England squad isn’t picked on talent.

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

On today's episode of "Journalistis have no clue" we have the curious case of Did we or did we not bid for Nico Williams?

My understanding of bidding is this:

A club will do some due dilligence of the likelyhood of a deal....i.e Player wants to come. and club is willing to sell.

If that criteria is met....buying club will bid.

Its not a good sign to be bidding and not get your intended target..... it tends to spook other targets.....bit like a House being on the market for too long, can spook the buyers.

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I wonder about Sarr… right now, could he be more effective for us than Bailey? I rate Leon but he hasn’t really hit the heights or reached top form… much more to come from him I think and believe… maybe some competition would help?

I would think we would be setting our sights higher but I do remember Sarr being a very pacy and dangerous (good finisher) player when Watford were in the PL, haven’t seen much of him in the Championship…

Sarr would make little sense for Watford to sell right now. Only way they would is for a bad price for us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I don't full subscribe to this. The World Cup window was a nice break the the squad. 

We've GK and defence covered, two players for every position. Once Carlos is back we're 100% fit in the department

Midfield - we've 7 players - Coutinho, Buendia, Luiz, Kamara, Dendoncker, JJ, McGinn. All fit for Leicester. - Bailey, Cash, Moreno, Young, Chambers all can operate in midfield if required.

Attack - Watkins, Bailey, Duran. We're a player light here and have a Watkins risk for experienced Striker if he were to be injured for multiple games. 

We need 1 attacking player to mitigate that risk imo. 

That's if we want to stay still though. The point of the transfer window, particularly with a new manager, is to improve or bring in what he wants. Granted that's not easy in January, but then at least don't go getting rid of players you've already got. Especially your top scorer. As you say we're definitely light up front, and that will be the toughest position to buy for. No-one wants to sell a goal scorer at the best of times. And we've got rid of 2 others and looking at 1 or 2 more. I don't think our current January transfer window activity can reasonably be spun particularly positively at the moment. But there is time.

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

If there is any substance or accuracy to recent links or rumours, it sounds like we’re after a WF and if we can’t bring in someone ”high on our list of targets” now then we’ll look to complete a loan deal for someone like Ziyech.

But, who really knows? I genuinely don’t believe that there is a single journalist who has any real insight or “inside information” regarding our transfer activity and targets, maybe they just pick up snippets here and there (maybe more from the player’s club or agent rather than the club itself) or only find out at the “last minute” or just announce completed deals (like Percy?)…

I just think it’s best to reserve judgement until the window is actually closed. For those worried about a lack of activity, the consolation is that we will surely be one of the most active clubs in the summer and be spending on genuine upgrades and enhancements that it wasn’t possible to bring in right now. We’ve freed up funds and spaces, ready for Unai to recruit the talent that he wants.

There is a jail at BMH for staff who leak info to the press.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Sarr would make little sense for Watford to sell right now. Only way they would is for a bad price for us. 

Fair point. Keeps getting linked to us… (not that it means anything) wonder why he hasn’t got a move…

I would expect “higher level” targets tbh but he did look good a few years ago…

Again, Watford must get promoted so we get that 15m for Davis..

so…Ismaila can stay there and bang in the goals please 😆

We are about as thin as you'd accept the squad being currently, and we're woefully short in some positions of an injury happens to key players.

We're taking a risk if we end January like we stand.

• Like 3