January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign another young Colombian, or a player that Duran has played with previously, as that's something we seem to do a lot. Gulbert and Sanson, Wesley and Luiz, Buendia and Martinez. Ings and Chambers, Kamara and Digne, possibly Guendouzi as well, probably other examples. I guess if you sign players that have already played together, or even just from the same country, can help them settle better and gel better as a team, wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in someone to do similar with Duran, of course we have to rate that player though.

25 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign another young Colombian, or a player that Duran has played with previously, as that's something we seem to do a lot. Gulbert and Sanson, Wesley and Luiz, Buendia and Martinez. Ings and Chambers, Kamara and Digne, possibly Guendouzi as well, probably other examples. I guess if you sign players that have already played together, or even just from the same country, can help them settle better and gel better as a team, wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in someone to do similar with Duran, of course we have to rate that player though.

Juan Pablo Angel's son is probably a good shout then. Hard to play in your father's shadow, though.

8 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Unai has clearly stated that he's after a winger as a top priority. 

I would love for us to go after Pulisic given how ridiculously Chelsea are being run right now. He has no guarantee of European football next season and has already stated that there's a good chance he's leaving the club this month. 

Would be expensive as hell, but at 24 and where we're going, it would be amazing. 

If he didn't spend 80% of his time in the training room, yes - but I'd much rather look at Brenden Aaronson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Marcus Thuram would be simply sensational, goals, assists, speed, power, shooting both feet, can play anywhere in the front three.

Totally. We deserve great players in their prime or close to it, and that who Thuram is. Really don't understand the idea of Villa ruling out "unrealistic" choices, as if we need to be careful not to "get above our station." We're three points off the top six. We're obviously shallow up front. So are we aiming for another European star, or not? That's what I want to know. Yes? Or no? I get the idea of waiting for summer for the big transfer push, but we're either playing at the big money table, or we need to ante up at the Leeds-Southampton-Wolves, etc. table.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

He'll have 5 South American Spanish speakers and Moreno and Emery and the coaching staff to help him settle. 

He'll have picked up some English in Chicago as well. 

I don't think it's just a language thing, I think signing players that already know each other, have played with each other, and are of a similar age and likely to get on well, maybe spend time together off the pitch, can be a strategy as well, as helps them not only to settle into the club, but also can help on the pitch.

• Like 4

With all the talk of Emery’s favourite formation I’m just wondering if anyone else is worried about JJ’s position in it. 

I know he’s been deployed LM and comes inside but is he suited to that. 

I’m worried he might be the sacrificial lamb moving forward as Emery beds in his team and goes after the players he feels best suit his team.

Has Emery had a similar ball carrying player in any of his previous teams before?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, burchy said:

With all the talk of Emery’s favourite formation I’m just wondering if anyone else is worried about JJ’s position in it. 

I’m worried he might be the sacrificial lamb moving forward as Emery beds in his team and goes after the players he feels best suit his team.

Has Emery had a similar ball carrying player in any of his previous teams before?

I think the position is absolutely perfect for JJ, plays to his strengths. He's unfortunately been injured for first time and was out for nearly 2 months. So missed a lot of training, especially in camp during WC. I think his attacking attributes, his ability to carry ball forward and his shots from edge of the area arriving late. All suit this formation perfectly

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, burchy said:

There’s no way Ramsey loses his place. He’ll be in the side ahead of Buendia, McGinn and Bailey. 

• Like 2

I know we don’t play this formation, but this is starting to come together…

————————Watkins————————
Ramsey——————————————New
————Guendozi————Luiz—————
—————————Kamara———————
Moreno——Mings——Carlos——Young
————————Martinez————————

I know Emery is very fluid in his set up but I think he’s building up to something like the above. Not sure. Future is bright though!

(If we sign Guendouzi)!

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

————————Watkins————————
Ramsey——————————————New
—————————Kamara———————
————————Martinez————————

I know Emery is very fluid in his set up but I think he’s building up to something like the above. Not sure. Future is bright though!

(If we sign Guendouzi)!

No Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho? 

13 minutes ago, Tayls said:

No Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho? 

Not until they can perform consistently to a higher level. I see all three as our weak links most weeks tbh. I'm really hoping Bailey can get better but Buendia doesn't have the tools to succeed at the level we want to be at. Almost given up completely on Coutinho. 

• Thanks 1

If we let Sanson (gone already according so reports) and Marv go we are leaving ourselves very light in midfield. An injury to Bouba or Luiz and we are looking pretty poor. 

Same goes for up front  letting Ings go and only brining in the kid from the US looks a serious gamble! 

I’m going to assume Unai has something up his sleeve for both these issues. 

39 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

————————Watkins————————
Ramsey——————————————New
—————————Kamara———————
————————Martinez————————

(If we sign Guendouzi)!

That formation can easily morph into:

------------Watkins------------New--------------------
Ramsey-----Guendouzi-----Kamara-----Luiz
Moreno -----Mings ------ Carlos--------Young
----------------------Martinez---------------------------

• Like 1

11 hours ago, useless said:

A Wim Jonk to Dennis Bergkamp or Abel Balbo to Gabriel Batistuta? Does make a bit of sense. When we signed Angel we invested a (then) fortune in him but did nothing to protect or enhance the investment. We expected him to just show up and start scoring goals, despite the fact he had no English and no one to help him do basic things like open a bank account or rent a house. I think it was only when Lerner bought the club that we recruited a player liaison officer. Suspect it's very different these days.

45 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

————————Watkins————————
Ramsey——————————————New
—————————Kamara———————
————————Martinez————————

(If we sign Guendouzi)!

I think Ramsay is most effective in that front three. He was superb when he played there against City under Gerrard. He didn't keep him there though.

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I think Ramsay is most effective in that front three. He was superb when he played there against City under Gerrard. He didn't keep him there though.

Ramsey

Sorry... Ramsay triggers me. :D