January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just now, DCJonah said:

I do not get the panic. 

Chances are Ollie stays fit for the rest of the season and Dhuran gets to play every so often. 

People are acting like we've just sold our only forward player. 

Ok, serious questions, say we buy nobody, and in the first game after the window shuts, Ollie gets a season ending injury. Not entirely unwarranted, probably unlikely but it definitely could happen. It's a measurable risk. 

1.) Assuming we then play Jhon up front for the remainder of the season how many goals do we think he will score.

2.) Where will we finish in the league.

Selling Danny was probably shrewd in terms of economic business, but damn it comes with a risk. 

Except it doesn't because we will sign someone. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wes said:

I personally think they're all in on targeting Jonathan David from Lille in the summer.

For now I can see them looking at getting two versatile forwards/wingers who, for the remainder of the season, can deputise for Watkins (who is Emery's first choice like it or not), can rotate with Bailey in the role he's currently playing as the second forward, or can stretch the field horizontally by being comfortable playing "with his heels on the sideline".

I would expect one of these to be a more seasoned veteran, and the other to be someone younger who Emery sees as more of a project he can work on.

Alongside another central midfielder, I think three more signings this window are still to come now.

If Jonathan David has a 2nd half of the season like the first, it may prove very difficult to be at the front of the queue to sign him in the summer.

Let's hope that Ings leaving will pull forward any planned deal for a big summer striker signing.

I think a winger, striker and midfielder will come in before the window closes.

Complete BS. What “proven PL striker”? None of these journos have much clue ir insight into our transfer strategies until players are actually signed. How many of them have managed to make decent calls on who we’ve signed and have targeted? 

Duncker by name, dunker by nature…not a clue…

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Digne, has seen someone signed that plays his exact position. No shit he's got an uncertain future.

Cash been dropped in favour of a 37 Yr old,  despite not being injured,  after previously being ever present.

Winger is a priority? Unai has said he wants a winger... that was day's ago.

Then he speculates that the market for strikers is a bit crap at the moment, which it is, and that we might go for a loan over a permanent signing. 

I thought he was one of the good ones?

33 minutes ago, Wes said:

I personally think they're all in on targeting Jonathan David from Lille in the summer.

For now I can see them looking at getting two versatile forwards/wingers who, for the remainder of the season, can deputise for Watkins (who is Emery's first choice like it or not), can rotate with Bailey in the role he's currently playing as the second forward, or can stretch the field horizontally by being comfortable playing "with his heels on the sideline".

I would expect one of these to be a more seasoned veteran, and the other to be someone younger who Emery sees as more of a project he can work on.

Alongside another central midfielder, I think three more signings this window are still to come now.

David isn't "the guy" for me. Certainly not someone we should be spending £50/60/70m on.

Very similar ceiling to Watkins IMO. I actually don't think he'll be much of an upgrade across a season. Might get a few more goals, but will have a few more stinkers.

The X-factor here is of course Emery. I do back him to massively improve most players.