January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just now, Jas10 said:

Said it before, but I would really love for us to have a technical striker, a “cultured finisher” with a variety of goals in his arsenal.

Someone who has more approaches than blasting it hard and low. Can take on the keeper, excellent in one on ones, chips, lobs, volleys, headers, curlers, pile drivers… the lot basically 🤣

Who was the last player we had like this? This seem to be a dying art form imo, it’s supposed to be the beautiful game! 😆

The last player we had with a variety of finishes was probably Benteke, some absolutely ludicrous goals with us at his peak. The one away at West Brom is a favourite, where he turns the marker inside out and lasers it inside the far post. 

With reference to some of the above, I'd be very happy with Moussa Dembele if we could get him. He's been a staple for me on many Fifa/Football Manager saves 😅

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Said it before, but I would really love for us to have a technical striker, a “cultured finisher” with a variety of goals in his arsenal.

Someone who has more approaches than blasting it hard and low. Can take on the keeper, excellent in one on ones, chips, lobs, volleys, headers, curlers, pile drivers… the lot basically 🤣

Who was the last player we had like this? This seem to be a dying art form imo, it’s supposed to be the beautiful game! 😆

I'd say the last technical striker we had was Angel.. would love to have a player just like him in his prime right now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Could we do better? Sure.

Is selling Ings for book profit and getting his wages off the books a bad move? Financially, absolutely not. 

Getting a lot of grief for this, but i'm actually quite pleased we are selling Ings. He's a good striker, but mainly sitting on the bench and picking up a big wage whilst losing any resale value.

Means we are moving into the next phase of our strategy now we are consolidated in the premier league and removed the Apprentice manager. We need to make business led decisions in some cases, and with Ings going to be 31 in the summer with 1 year on his large contract, selling him for a book price profit is good for us. We have replaced him with player who is 10 years younger, on 3rd of the wages, who will most likely have a decent resell value and suits Emerys style. 

We can't be getting the likes of Kamara, Guendouzi, Thuram etc in with 7 x 30 year old players on high wages and no resale value. We don't have that commercial income (yet) to, that's how you end up like Everton.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If Digne wages weren't so high, I'd have absolutely no issue keeping him.

We could do much worse.

If we can afford to keep him we prob should.

The wages is the main issue for me. It’s just not financially responsible or sensible to have £100k+ pw players sitting on the bench for us. And I prefer players with energy and longevity… they’ll make more of a difference coming off the bench too…

Coutinho should also be shifted.

Tbh, I don’t have a personal issue with any of our players. Danny seemed a great guy but again, he’s made a killing by not playing much. I’m glad we’ve sold him so long as we are bringing in more integral players that make good impacts and contributions.

I trust Unai, he is going to make us a lot better.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tricky_Vale said:

I'd say the last technical striker we had was Angel.. would love to have a player just like him in his prime right now.

I agree, he was class.

Benteke was more of a powerhouse but Angel was so skilled. Carbone was great too 😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Getting a lot of grief for this, but i'm actually quite pleased we are selling Ings. He's a good striker, but mainly sitting on the bench and picking up a big wage whilst losing any resale value.

Means we are moving into the next phase of our strategy now we are consolidated in the premier league and removed the Apprentice manager. We need to make business led decisions in some cases, and with Ings going to be 31 in the summer with 1 year on his large contract, selling him for a book price profit is good for us. We have replaced him with player who is 10 years younger, on 3rd of the wages, who will most likely have a decent resell value and suits Emerys style. 

We can't be getting the likes of Kamara, Guendouzi, Thuram etc in with 7 x 30 year old players on high wages and no resale value. We don't have that commercial income (yet) to, that's how you end up like Everton.

You shouldn’t be getting any grief. I’m with you and everything you’ve said is more than fair. Totally agree.

If we’re going to get better, we have to make changes and let Unai do his work…

• Thanks 1

Being honest I cant get annoyed about Ings being sold as he hasnt really worked, is at the end of his career and still has value that could be better used. My hope is we have sufficient cover planned. It just wasnt a great signing on lots of levels, and thats no slight on Ings as he is a very good striker and had a terrific career.

But Ings is an old school striker, we need some one quicker, more mobile and versatile to displace Watkins. If his value is £15+m this January, it will be £10m in the summer so might as well sell if we have sufficient cover in what is a transitional period for the club. I have no fears about relegation and whether we finish 14th, 12th or 8th is really immaterial in the long game and where we intend to be next season and beyond.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tricky_Vale said:

I loved JPA but he wasn't the all rounder that Benteke was at his peak. The range of goalscoring abilities meant that defenders had no idea how to handle him: I'd love to have that sort of player who strikes fear into teams. 

Of course, it might be that the league wasn't ready for JPA -- too many cloggers back when he arrived, perhaps -- but I don't think he put the fear of God into defenders in the same way as Benteke (barring that half of the killer season when JPA scored that gorgeous goal at VP in the cup).

I do wonder if these all rounder strikers have had their day, though? Like, did ticatakka kill the striker? 

Just now, jacketspuds said:

If we don’t sign another striker ASAP, and we end up losing to Southampton, there may be some miffed fans knocking about the place.

We aren't going to get someone in before the Southampton game. Which is why selling Ings now makes no sense, we only have one game before the transfer windwow shuts.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

We aren't going to get someone in before the Southampton game. Which is why selling Ings now makes no sense, we only have one game before the transfer windwow shuts.

Maybe the deal from Spam was that they it was a now or never offer? They’d want him in asap or move onto other targets. We wanted the money so we accepted their haste?

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Maybe the deal from Spam was that they it was a now or never offer? They’d want him in asap or move onto other targets. We wanted the money so we accepted their haste?

West Ham are the desperate team needing a striker, we would be fold to their demands?  It's not like we need the money.

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Being honest I cant get annoyed about Ings being sold as he hasnt really worked, is at the end of his career and still has value that could be better used. My hope is we have sufficient cover planned. It just wasnt a great signing on lots of levels, and thats no slight on Ings as he is a very good striker and had a terrific career.

But Ings is an old school striker, we need some one quicker, more mobile and versatile to displace Watkins. If his value is £15+m this January, it will be £10m in the summer so might as well sell if we have sufficient cover in what is a transitional period for the club. I have no fears about relegation and whether we finish 14th, 12th or 8th is really immaterial in the long game and where we intend to be next season and beyond.

Agree with this. Never really warmed to Ings as a Villa player despite him seeming like a decent bloke. I'm sure we'll have something in place - exciting times to watch us (hopefully) stepping up a level.