January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Ok so you don’t agree with my comparison, who cares!  

I think it’s a reasonable comparison on so many points and yes it’s not 100% comparison.  Talk about missing the point!  

Can I not say I’m nervous about a player that wasn’t great in the PL but doing really well in France and I can see comparisons with Sanson.  

Of course as I’ve said countless times I trust Emery 100% but I can still be nervous about a transfer given my own thoughts on a player and comparisons to a player we already have at the club.  You don’t agree with some of those comparisons, great that’s your choice but I do.

Of course if he comes I want to be successful but I can still be nervous because we don’t have a great track record with young french players either over the years and yes different owners/managers blah blah blah but you must understand the nervousness given Amati, Gueye, Veretout, Sanson and I’m sure many more that don’t do well with us but do very well elsewhere, even Guendouzi sounds like he’s far more successful in France than his…yes early years…at Arsenal where imo he wasn’t so great.

Can we just agree to disagree on the comparison and let’s just hope if he comes in he’s brilliant and is as good for us as he sounds like he is for Marseille and that he’s more like a success like Kamara than Sanson. Deal?

If I can try and ease your nervousness slightly - UE gave him his break at Arsenal and I would imagine has been following his career with interest since then.  If we are in for Guendouzi (which it sounds like we are at least interested) then either (a) UE has pushed us to look at / try and sign him - which seems to be worth quite a lot in terms of his managerial / coaching reputation and / or UE's confidence in him fitting in well with the system(s) that he wants us to play and being part of the Villa family or (b) our scouts have been looking at him for a while and UE has done nothing to persuade them that their interest is not warranted.  I think if we are genuinely interested then the fact that the manager has seen the player up close probably counts for a lot - UE must be confident in him so it's less of a "jump" than signing players who have done well in France and not had the same impact in the Premier League (even if they have then gone on to play at top 4-8 place level in the French, Italian or German league.  I think if UE has any doubts then we don't try and sign him.

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

Yeah thats what im weighing up also, maybe kamara has helped us in changing that mentality for french league step ups, emery has to fine tune him and keep him disciplined, we cannot afford any loose cannons in this so far well disciplined team.

UE has worked with the guy day in and day out - if he has any doubts about (a) his ability or (b) his character, then there is no way that he endorses the move or (if he isn't in charge of transfers) fails to tell those in charge that it would be a mistake.  A manager like UE will only be buying players that he has previously worked with if he thinks they are very good - he's not going to risk his reputation to buy someone he isn't sure about.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

UE has worked with the guy day in and day out - if he has any doubts about (a) his ability or (b) his character, then there is no way that he endorses the move or (if he isn't in charge of transfers) fails to tell those in charge that it would be a mistake.  A manager like UE will only be buying players that he has previously worked with if he thinks they are very good - he's not going to risk his reputation to buy someone he isn't sure about.

Yeah same and im in favour of signing him 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

You could add to the Sanson angle that he got injured, the manager that bought him got sacked within a couple of weeks of him being fit,  and then got unlucky by being subjected to a manager that is largely useless, and ultimately hated him.

None of those things are on Sanson really, and given Guendouzi (if he came) is wanted by Emery, and Emery looks like he'll be here for a long time (we pray), then you have even more ammo to say this won't go the same way the  Sanson purchase did.  I won't go into his injury record as that's a curse waiting to happen if I do. 

Try looking for the positives, amongst the negatives Nick.  Keep the expectations low, by all means, but go beyond a high level lazy comparison.

Sanson was also bought at a time to try and get us from avoiding relegation to maybe lower end of mid-table.  If we are in for Guendouzi then that suggests that UE sees him as a player who can take us from lower end of mid-table to the battle for 6th-8th (minimum).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

well there's just not enough strikers around at the minute and almost every PL team outside of Man City & Spurs are after a striker. Manchester United just signed ******* Wout Weghorst on loan. Leeds splashed a club record 36m on Georginio Rutter, a French striker who has 10 goals over roughly 1.75 Bundesliga seasons. Everton needs a new striker after Maupay signed. 

It's very crazy, there is just a real dearth of top league strikers available for teams. Durán is a shot in the dark with huge potential

Are good strikers becoming scarce or are defenders getting better 👀

Jhon Durán coming in should still mean we sign a new ready made top centre forward in the summer! , in this window still we need to sign a LW and Centre-Mid (most likely Guendouzi) … id expect Ings would be moved on in the summer and maybe even watkins. Duran would be used in rotation with the new CF which would allow duran to settle in, tbh ive not been sold on his highlights and i dont see nothing which stands out but its highlights so cant judge fully 

Edited by RicRic
Spelling

Just now, burchy said:

Not sure Durán would have been the forward I would have targeted personally but I trust Emery so will support.

Is that us done now striker wise do we think?

Summer window we snatch a more prolific forward who would be the main starter and star of the show ⭐️ Durán just gives us that cover until then and can show what he is able to do.

15 minutes ago, allani said:

Sanson was also bought at a time to try and get us from avoiding relegation to maybe lower end of mid-table.  If we are in for Guendouzi then that suggests that UE sees him as a player who can take us from lower end of mid-table to the battle for 6th-8th (minimum).

We were 8th when Sanson signed😛

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m probably the only one but I wouldn’t mind Parejo. We could with a bit of top level experience in the middle at times.

We dont have a midfielder still to control the tempo in midfield so could do a job

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, burchy said:

Not sure Durán would have been the forward I would have targeted personally but I trust Emery so will support.

You just know that Emery and his team are studying their Villa jigsaw and analysing the missing pieces. 

As you say, he'll know exactly what he needs to construct his vision. I get the impression he's looking for players to perform specific roles in the team, therefore his shopping list may be more niche than we've seen before.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, burchy said:

Maybe but he seems one for the future so may go out on loan but you can equally argue with Watkins and Ings that he’ll take Archers place on the bench and squad and see where he is at close season whether he needs a loan or not.  I hope we’re after a striker that’s ready for now but £15-20m on Jhon would suggest we are likely not to spend more on another striker in January.