January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

All the Guendouze chatter has gone quiet sadly. Hopefully that means things are progressing in background. 

Hey there was a plane that flew out to Marselllie and not due back to 9pm tonight.  Ya never know 

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Hey there was a plane that flew out to Marselllie and not due back to 9pm tonight.  Ya never know 

I imagine that’s him saying his goodbyes to his Marseilles team mates. 

I expect this to be done by/on Wednesday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

47 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He was 26 when we brought him, Guendouzi turns 24 in a couple of months…so while different, not huge as you are trying to make out.

They both are/were playing for Marseille when we are/were interested in them, with CL experience, midfielders and playing really well so a lot of comparables.  

Yes Guendouzi is a fringe French International which hopefully if he signs for us becomes a regular.  

I’m surprised you are excluding CL experience…and playing in the PL isn’t a plus in his case imo because if it was based on that time at Arsenal I wouldn’t be buying him as he wasn’t exactly great.

My point of the comparison was no more than because there is a lot of comparables between the two at the point of buying it just worries me especially after I wasn’t impressed with him at Arsenal.  I hope he becomes a massive success for us and his attributes are what we need but my comparison isn’t unreasonable for the nervousness.  

Surely if you wanted to argue with me, rather than the comparison argument you should’ve said how well Kamara is doing for us rather than the comparison with Sanson which is a fair point….that I’ve done on your behalf 😜

I'm excluding CL experience because he has only played 6 CL games (same as Sanson actually), so very inexperienced in that regard.

But Unlike Sanson (who only played in France), Guendouzi has also played in England and Germany.  I think that counts for more than a handful of CL appearances.

He's also quite well known to Emery, which all in all should account for more than the punt we took on Sanson.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Flying Guendouze here and taking Sanson back :D 

Plane left on Saturday.  Sanson could have been on it.  Anyone see if hes at training today? 

Joking aside, I hope Sanson stays.  Anytime i saw him play, he wasn’t bad.  Doesn’t merit the ones wanting him gone asap.

15 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Plane left on Saturday.  Sanson could have been on it.  Anyone see if hes at training today? 

Joking aside, I hope Sanson stays.  Anytime i saw him play, he wasn’t bad.  Doesn’t merit the ones wanting him gone asap.

I actually thought he looked rather bad vs Leeds. Lazy defending that led to their goal.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm excluding CL experience because he has only played 6 CL games (same as Sanson actually), so very inexperienced in that regard.

But Unlike Sanson (who only played in France), Guendouzi has also played in England and Germany.  I think that counts for more than a handful of CL appearances.

He's also quite well known to Emery, which all in all should account for more than the punt we took on Sanson.

Ok so you don’t agree with my comparison, who cares!  

I think it’s a reasonable comparison on so many points and yes it’s not 100% comparison.  Talk about missing the point!  

Can I not say I’m nervous about a player that wasn’t great in the PL but doing really well in France and I can see comparisons with Sanson.  

Of course as I’ve said countless times I trust Emery 100% but I can still be nervous about a transfer given my own thoughts on a player and comparisons to a player we already have at the club.  You don’t agree with some of those comparisons, great that’s your choice but I do.

Of course if he comes I want to be successful but I can still be nervous because we don’t have a great track record with young french players either over the years and yes different owners/managers blah blah blah but you must understand the nervousness given Amati, Gueye, Veretout, Sanson and I’m sure many more that don’t do well with us but do very well elsewhere, even Guendouzi sounds like he’s far more successful in France than his…yes early years…at Arsenal where imo he wasn’t so great.

Can we just agree to disagree on the comparison and let’s just hope if he comes in he’s brilliant and is as good for us as he sounds like he is for Marseille and that he’s more like a success like Kamara than Sanson. Deal?

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I think this may have been posted directly but I can’t be bothered to check 😁

I don't think there's any truth in this, but he is a very good player and very creative. Would be there to rival Luiz as the creative partner to Kamara. These creative 6s are like fine wines. Pirlo, Modric etc.. showing what they can do into late 30s

If Jarrod Bowen was available then I think he is the kind of player we need. He can play as a wide or centre forward, has reasonable pace and is proven at this level. 12 goals and 10 assists in 34 starts last season is a decent return. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I wasn’t impressed with him at Arsenal but he was young and I’ve heard, mainly from here, how much he’s improved…I do worry that if that improvement is him or whether he’s in a poorer league, probably a bit of both.  Hopefully if we buy him, he will be a massive success with us.

Yeah thats what im weighing up also, maybe kamara has helped us in changing that mentality for french league step ups, emery has to fine tune him and keep him disciplined, we cannot afford any loose cannons in this so far well disciplined team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it’s a reasonable comparison on so many points and yes it’s not 100% comparison.  Talk about missing the point!  

Can I not say I’m nervous about a player that wasn’t great in the PL but doing really well in France and I can see comparisons with Sanson.  

Of course as I’ve said countless times I trust Emery 100% but I can still be nervous about a transfer given my own thoughts on a player and comparisons to a player we already have at the club.  You don’t agree with some of those comparisons, great that’s your choice but I do.

Of course if he comes I want to be successful but I can still be nervous because we don’t have a great track record with young french players either over the years and yes different owners/managers blah blah blah but you must understand the nervousness given Amati, Gueye, Veretout, Sanson and I’m sure many more that don’t do well with us but do very well elsewhere, even Guendouzi sounds like he’s far more successful in France than his…yes early years…at Arsenal where imo he wasn’t so great.

Can we just agree to disagree on the comparison and let’s just hope if he comes in he’s brilliant and is as good for us as he sounds like he is for Marseille and that he’s more like a success like Kamara than Sanson. Deal?

You don't be a regular in Arsenal's midfield at the age of 19 if you're not very good. While he may have not been a world beater, to say that he wasn't great in the PL is doing him a massive disservice.  Those players you've highlighted had never played outside of France at any decent level, we took a punt on them, and they didn't work out.  I have no such fears with Guendouzi, he's proved he can play at this level.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You could add to the Sanson angle that he got injured, the manager that bought him got sacked within a couple of weeks of him being fit,  and then got unlucky by being subjected to a manager that is largely useless, and ultimately hated him.

None of those things are on Sanson really, and given Guendouzi (if he came) is wanted by Emery, and Emery looks like he'll be here for a long time (we pray), then you have even more ammo to say this won't go the same way the  Sanson purchase did.  I won't go into his injury record as that's a curse waiting to happen if I do. 

Try looking for the positives, amongst the negatives Nick.  Keep the expectations low, by all means, but go beyond a high level lazy comparison.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You don't be a regular in Arsenal's midfield at the age of 19 if you're not very good. While he may have not been a world beater, to say that he wasn't great in the PL is doing him a massive disservice.  Those players you've highlighted had never played outside of France at any decent level, we took a punt on them, and they didn't work out.  I have no such fears with Guendouzi, he's proved he can play at this level.

That Arsenal midfield at the time wasn’t exactly stacked with talent. It was Xhaka, Ceballos and Torreira and that’s it.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

And will be better prepared this time round.