January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

44 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Exactly, This guy makes some very irrational statements lol @paul514

It’s completely rational we apparently have an exceptional young right back so give him the game time, the long term solution. If he isn’t the long term solution we need to buy one.

28 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It’s completely rational we apparently have an exceptional young right back so give him the game time, the long term solution. If he isn’t the long term solution we need to buy one.

Hes on loan at a club in the championship, he isn’t exactly ready to start league matches here then why risk that just yet, young is having a very decent season why cant you just appreciate him, take the age factor out your head, there will be a time when playing every week will become too much for him but that time does not look to be now…whos to say we may not even sign a new RB ( which i think will be the case) 

many of us were against renewing youngs contract but most will agree hes been our best wing back this season and what we would have done without him.

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, useless said:

I can't find where he's said it, but Birmingham Mail are claiming that Romano has said that we're in talks for Danjuma.

They're quoting a publication called 'givemsport' who claim that Romano has told them that we're in talks with Danjuma, but when you read the quotes he doesn't really say that we're in talks, just says: “Unai Emery knows the player so well so he could be an option also for Aston Villa. I’m told there is a chance for him to leave in January. So, all these clubs are speaking to Villarreal." So basically it's clickbait.

Edited by useless

My ideal January window would be bringing in Ismaila Sarr to play left wide forward/left winger (he has played most games on the left this season), he is one of the fastest players in England and would give us good options, having him and Bailey on each flank would be a great option. He also seems to be a good character, has good technique and can develop further, is settled in England and used to the PL. Then I would like another option up front, a target player, there Teremi Moffi has really caught my eye, could be a good gamble at 25M. Then I'd like to exchange Sanson and some money for Guendouzi, we would be well equipped with Kamara, Luiz, Guendouzi and big Donk in the middle of the pitch.

To balance the books I wouldn't mind letting Cash go, I think Young and Konsa/Chambers could do a job there until the summer. If needed I could let Ings go as well, though I'd prefer him to stay. Bednarek could also return, with Carlos coming back and Chambers or even big Donk we have cover there. It's also time to let Nakamba get some more playing time at another club. We do need another back up keeper as well, but also that can wait to the summer.

That would make us well balanced with plenty of options, but at the same time not stock piling players, but giving everyone some playing time and keep them happy.

Martinez/Olsen as GK. Mings, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers and big Donk as CB. Digne and Moreno as LB. Young and Konsa/Chambers as RB. Kamara, Luiz, Guendouzi and big Donk as CM. Ramsey and McGinn as the forward midfielders if we play 4-2-2-2. Sarr and Bailey on the flanks if we play 4-2-3-1. Buendia and Coutinho as no 10 (or the further midfielders in the 4-2-2-2 or inside forwards in the 4-2-3-1. Then Watkins, Moffi and Ings as strikers.

I guess it would be about 25M for Sarr, 25M for Moffi and perhaps 15M + Sanson for Guendouzi. Say we can get 20M for Cash, 5M for Nakamba and save some wages on Bednarek and if needed also on Ings. If someone would be willing to take Coutinho on his wages, I would let him go as well.

Do you know what, if West Ham are linked to a striker for big bucks then I'd rather leave him alone.

Their best striker over the last few years has been an aging RB that somehow turned into a CF for a season or two in Antonio. 

Their list of failed strikers and the money they used to get them is a joke.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

You haven't told us what tier the guy is, how can we read the tweet until we KNOW WHAT TIER THE GUY IS?!?

@Steero113You need to put your notifications on for me. I did 24 hours ago in the thread. 
image.png

5 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Do you know what, if West Ham are linked to a striker for big bucks then I'd rather leave him alone.

Their best striker over the last few years has been an aging RB that somehow turned into a CF for a season or two in Antonio. 

Their list of failed strikers and the money they used to get them is a joke.

Haha that's true actually, but sooner or later they will find one if they keep buying! Moffi looks a real prospect!

Majority on here always say we need to replace Watkins for some odd reason. But Watkins is 20 times the player of these flops(Which many of the same people suggested we should sign when they was at their former clubs). Moffi will probably end up the same. 
image.png

Edited by messi11
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8th place isn’t beyond the realms of possibility, especially with Unai in charge, but we must strengthen the team to try to achieve something like that. Just managing to achieve a top half finish would be an achievement but, if things go our way, we can do a little better.

Hopefully the form of a few teams will drop off while we continue our ascent… we do need some genuine quality in the right areas and to cover for any injuries/suspensions. I do expect Unai to continue to improve us…

I would love to replace Olsen 🤣 (bloody good job he didn’t play vs Leeds!) but it’s not a priority right now I suppose. 

Defence is fine for now and Carlos will be “like a new signing”. We can properly address it in the summer and maybe go for someone like Pau Torres and a RB upgrade. Maybe bring in a young LB if we  offload Digne (in favour of this, he’s not worth his exorbitant wages).

Add a quality MF like Guendouzi to help us become more composed and better in possession, give us some more control in games. Pass and retain the ball better.

Where we really need to upgrade is in attack, we’ve got to become better at scoring goals while creating a regular supply of chances. Coutinho to leave in the summer, not worth the investment, but a useful option for now.

Even with a full strength side, I don’t think we have enough (or enough high quality or effective) attacking options in the squad. Nothing to really help us change a game and be more potent for example…

I think creativity will improve as Emery works with the players on how to be better in possession. But we need a better and more reliable finisher with the right attributes to help the team. We should see a proper shakeup ahead of next season but also need an attacking boost right now…

I’m assuming making us more defensively sound and organised was the priority and we will get better on the ball going forwards…

Trust in Unai (and back him 💰).

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

8th place isn’t beyond the realms of possibility, especially with Unai in charge, but we must strengthen the team to try to achieve something like that. Just managing to achieve a top half finish would be an achievement but, if things go our way, we can do a little better.

Emery's career average ppg is about 1.5 and, if we do that this season, we will finish around 8th. If we carry on with his current ppg of 2 then we will probably finish 5-6. It's not impossible, as Newcastle have been at that level for 12 months with a similar quality squad. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

You haven't told us what tier the guy is, how can we read the tweet until we KNOW WHAT TIER THE GUY IS?!?

He's on Talksport as one of their main reporters. Has pretty good links with the south coast teams so he'll be pretty accurate on Danjuma.

No idea what tier he is, are we back in lockdown?!😉