January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 hours ago, PerryBarrPet said:

It certainly is a gamble but what’s the alternative ? Low risk mediocrity for as long as the fans will fall for it? HDE comes to mind.

Spurs from the mid 2000's buy young and lots of them, don't pay stupid salaries.

It has got them far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes it’s easy to get lost in dream of having a starting 11 of academy players but realistically only 1 or 2 out of 20 will be good enough. Iroegbunam will be certainly who would have guessed 2 years ago when all the talk was about louie Barry.

I didn't get the Louie Barry stuff the lad is tiny.

Might be great technically but you will have to be a wizard to deal with the PL at that size.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, paul514 said:

IS this a serious comment? Do you not think you can make good signings of people who are 25 and under? What kind of comment is this? That is just weird.

How do you not take that comment seriously? He’s clearing showing that we do sign players under 25 but it’s not a guarantee that they will be more valuable later on. Your post made it seem like you only want us signing under 25s in order to sell them at a higher price down the road and anything 29 and older is “bad business.”

4 hours ago, Steero113 said:

The value of the signing has no bearing on the quality. 

Kamara was free for example. 

Let’s judge Moreno in a few weeks from now, I think you’ll be pleasantly suprised. 

EDIT: Also, please indicate to me which players we have been linked with that get no game time at their clubs? Deulofeu is critical to Udinese, as is Guendouzi to Marseille. They start every single game for their clubs. 

I am over the moon with the Moreno signing, I am moaning about the fact that he is the only signing, YES, I know there is over 2 weeks left in the window, and I question why we didnt have more like him lined up to sign when the window opened.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This article doesn't say anything really.

Apparently Villareal are happy to loan him out and offered him to Everton already. Guess he dosen't fit in with new managers style as seems a bit odd given the numbers he was posting last year and he's still not that old.

Guess they thought Holland would call him up and he'd have a good world cup so would boost clubs after him like we've seen with Wout Weghorst. 

Bournemouth also being linked with Danjuma.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

How do you not take that comment seriously? He’s clearing showing that we do sign players under 25 but it’s not a guarantee that they will be more valuable later on. Your post made it seem like you only want us signing under 25s in order to sell them at a higher price down the road and anything 29 and older is “bad business.”

Making the odd signing over that age is fine you don't want the majority of the players you sign to be over it. So for example if you are signing 10 players I would have thought 8 of them should be 25 or under.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Making the odd signing over that age is fine you don't want the majority of the players you sign to be over it. So for example if you are signing 10 players I would have thought 8 of them should be 25 or under.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, only 3 of the 20 players brought in during Emery’s time at Villarreal were over 29. And so far 1 of the 4 “linked” to us are over 29. So he clearly prefers signing younger guys.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, only 3 of the 20 players brought in during Emery’s time at Villarreal were over 29. And so far 1 of the 4 “linked” to us are over 29. So he clearly prefers signing younger guys.

Not signing anyone over 29 doesn't mean he prefers only signing younger guys lol. That's an indication they don't prefer signing older guys at the end of their careers. I reckon most managers in the top flights rarely sign anyone over 29.

Younger guys would be 24 or younger.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

14 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Not signing anyone over 29 doesn't mean he prefers only signing younger guys lol. That's an indication they don't prefer signing older guys at the end of their careers. I reckon most managers in the top flights rarely sign anyone over 29.

Younger guys would be 24 or younger.

Firstly, I think I’ve made it perfectly clear I was inebriated when posting said post. Lol. To hopefully clear things up, 16 or 17 out of the 20 were under 24. Average age being 22.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m really not sure on Danjuma tbh. Not sure he’d improve us. 

I'm not sure about Danjuma, or Deulofeu. I can't  see how they're better than what we have. They also get injured a lot. Danjuma does seem.like a good finisher (as far as wingers go), and Deulofeu is really skillful, but think about Coutinho,  Buendia, and Bailey's reputations before they came here! All 3 were higher rated.

24 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'm not sure about Danjuma, or Deulofeu. I can't  see how they're better than what we have. They also get injured a lot. Danjuma does seem.like a good finisher (as far as wingers go), and Deulofeu is really skillful, but think about Coutinho,  Buendia, and Bailey's reputations before they came here! All 3 were higher rated.

We dont have any natural wide players except Bailey 

• Like 2

I still think there is one or two players we’re looking at, that haven’t been mentioned yet. Wide players with pace I imagine. I think we’ll see a couple more links appear over the next week or so that we weren’t expecting. 

Being honest, Guendouzi is the only link that has excited me so far this window. I think he’d really improve us. The others may well do as well, I’m just not sure by how much!

• Like 1

It's interesting how Emery sees the squad. He seems to mention that in final 1/3rd we're not too light as he can play with a 10 (which we did away to Brighton). It might give an indication that when we have made signings the midfielder 4 will be different as in the two central roles are the 6 and more creative 6/8. He wants a winger on one side of midfield he's clear about that and has said it often. He's clear the McGinn / JJ are players who like to come in centrally. So where in his mind does this leave Buendia and Coutinho. Bailey he see's more as a forward, who can also play as winger (I don't think he trusts him defensively to play the winger role regularly). 

It will be interesting to see how this team is set up come end of Feb after we sign new players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We dont have any natural wide players except Bailey 

and I feel Emery doesn't trust him as a winger. I think he ants his type of Winger for Left Mid and he might play a 10 like Coutinho / Buendia alongside a Watkins / Ings to drop deep from forward line and then winger attacks the space. 

I hope we get this Winger he wants this window.

• Like 1