January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Can we not just cryogenically de-age Ashley Young? His former self is exactly what we need out left. 

I said to a colleague this morning, it's a damning indictment of our current fullbacks that, if we had two Ashley Youngs, both would start at RB and LB. 

I honestly didn't see full backs being an issue going into the season, but Cash and Digne have really underwhelmed so far. I don't think it's critical we upgrade, but it definitely needs looking at (as we are with Moreno). 

The biggest issue we have is with our wide players and attacking unit. Buendia, Bailey and Ings were supposed to come in and replace Grealish's output. Collectively, they're f*****g miles off.  

• Like 3

Just now, VillaChris said:

When he first came in yes.

But ultimately he couldn't create, dribble etc so we then had games under McLeish/Lambert when he'd touch the ball 7 times in a game.

Benteke could create and dribble so even in terrible teams he looked like scoring every game when fully fit.

I get that but regardless his gpg ratio is exactly the same as Dwight Yorke, tied for second best during the PL era. 

I think what we lack is leaders with tactical nous out on the pitch. It feels like our players sometimes need a player to dish out a rollicking or two on the pitch if standards start to drop, someone who can carry out the managers instructions. Dare I say it, someone like Roy Keane in his prime or a Jordan Henderson. I hope this is something that UE will look to resolve fairly soon.

We’ve had to build a squad for survival and then build for consolidation and now the next process is going to be the hardest which is to get top half and subsequently Europe.

But unlike other teams we’ve done it in a much shorter time scale. Had we waited a few seasons to consolidate further we probably miss out on Emery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I said to a colleague this morning, it's a damning indictment of our current fullbacks that, if we had two Ashley Youngs, both would start at RB and LB. 

I honestly didn't see full backs being an issue going into the season, but Cash and Digne have really underwhelmed so far. I don't think it's critical we upgrade, but it definitely needs looking at (as we are with Moreno). 

The biggest issue we have is with our wide players and attacking unit. Buendia, Bailey and Ings were supposed to come in and replace Grealish's output. Collectively, they're f*****g miles off.  

The full backs can't defend.

Cash lets in crosses like the channel boats, free from resistance......His example with Norris hitting the bar in the 38th minute, was woeful, and unacceptable.

its been the case for some time....we need to wake up.

• Like 1

If I was Emery I'd be looking at completely revamping our whole squad. Other than Martinez, Luiz and Kamara, Ramsey and maybe Cash, I think every other player is quite easily replaceable at this point which is pretty shocking recruitment from the club. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Mcginn’s been excellent under Emery

I’ve not been a McGinn hater like many on here, I think he’s been underwhelming like many under Gerrard.  Saying that, while I think he’s been a bit better under Emery and that pass for Luiz goal was great I don’t think he’s been excellent at all.  I think he’s been one of the weaker parts of the team but have appreciated his effort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

The guy's a baller. Comfortable in possession, and finds his man. I think him and Kamara could work well together.

I can see why UE likes Doug, as he looks to play on the front foot, but Sanson, Kamara, and a new attacking mid could be a good combo. 

@thunderball we cannot be getting excited about Sanson based off this, who in fairness played slightly better than the rest but because he scored a goal hes a superstar NONSENSE.. no he is NOT quote on quote a ‘BALLER’ we are forcing this by a long mile, I just as much as you want him to be that baller and was fully backing him to be that player but he just simply isn’t and thats the reason why none of the previous managers have been able to afford him more game time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

The guy's a baller. Comfortable in possession, and finds his man. I think him and Kamara could work well together.

I can see why UE likes Doug, as he looks to play on the front foot, but Sanson, Kamara, and a new attacking mid could be a good combo. 

Kamara/Luiz/Sanson feels a really good balance. That’s suggests a 3 man midfield whereas apparently we play 4-2-2 now? But I think most smart coaches suggest there is no such thing as a strict formation? 

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:

@thunderball we cannot be getting excited about Sanson based off this, who in fairness played slightly better than the rest but because he scored a goal hes a superstar NONSENSE.. no he is NOT quote on quote a ‘BALLER’ we are forcing this by a long mile, I just as much as you want him to be that baller and was fully backing him to be that player but he just simply isn’t and thats the reason why none of the previous managers have been able to afford him more game time.

In your opinion. I was the one who called him a 'baller'. In my opinion he looked good. 

Let me put it this way. in his sporadic appearances, has he ever looked terrible? If the answer to that is no, then my opinion is based on as much fact as your opinion that he is no good. 

5 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I'd happily drive Cash to Chelsea for £25 mil

With the way Chelsea are spending I'd be asking for £60m. He's better than their Left Back who they paid £60m for. 

• Like 1