January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Sorry had to edit out post as I made it up, instead I will say that we will probably sign someone from nowhere that hasn't been talked about, as we usually do.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Where’s this idea we aren’t buying anyone when Unai has said otherwise? I do love the internet 

Not a clue. We give far too much weight to random rumours from Twitter ITKs - out of boredom, I guess? - but this time I don't even know where this idea has come from.

Edited by His Name Is Death

I want to push back against the idea that 30 million euros only gets you a midtable winger. I don't think any of the wingers that were playing for the clubs that finished between 7-10th last season cost as much as Bailey did.

We can't be expecting that players should only be as good as how much we paid for them. Yes the sky 6 are stupid with money but you can't really compare finances with them. Almost every other club in the league are operating more efficiently than them with how they spend their money. They purchase players relative cheaply and are able to grow their asset. That's why for those clubs that finished between 7-10th, none of their wingers cost more than 30 million when they were first purchased. They eventually grew to possess that value later if at all.

The problem with our signings is that, you really cannot say the same about many of our players. Most have stagnated in value, some have regressed. And unless we are going the route of paying stupid money like the sky 6, we are never going to close the gap this way. In other words, if we purchase a 30 million player, we have to expect that we will eventually get a 40 or 45 million player or more and that has to be the case with most of our signing.

What makes us unique is that we actually do have significant financial firepower that we can potentially do even more than these clubs that finished in that 7-10th region and I think its easy for us to lose sight for that. How can we claim that 30 million only gets you a midtable winger when these clubs are spending less money on cheaper players than that but are still able to finish in those positions? Brighton's transfer record is significantly less than that. We need to learn to spend our money better and expectations for our signings need to be higher than just "well we get what we paid for". Because if we're getting what we paid for, we're doing it wrong,

Edited by Laughable Chimp

22 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I want to push back against the idea that 30 million euros only gets you a midtable winger. I don't think any of the wingers that were playing for the clubs that finished between 7-10th last season cost as much as Bailey did.

We can't be expecting that players should only be as good as how much we paid for them. Yes the sky 6 are stupid with money but you can't really compare finances with them. Almost every other club in the league are operating more efficiently than them with how they spend their money. They purchase players relative cheaply and are able to grow their asset. That's why for those clubs that finished between 7-10th, none of their wingers cost more than 30 million when they were first purchased. They eventually grew to possess that value later. 

The problem with our signings is that, you really cannot say the same about many of our players. Most have stagnated in value, some have regressed. And unless we are going the route of paying stupid money like the sky 6, we are never going to close the gap this way. In other words, if we purchase a 30 million player, we have to expect that we will eventually get a 40 or 45 million player or more and that has to be the case with most of our signing.

What makes us unique is that we actually do have significant financial firepower that we can potentially do even more than these clubs that finished in that 7-10th region and I think its easy for us to lose sight for that. How can we claim that 30 million only gets you a midtable winger when these clubs are spending less money on cheaper players than that but are still able to finish in those positions? We need to learn to spend our money better and expectations for our signings need to be higher.

Here you go:

Wolves - Goncalo Quedes - €32.60m
Leeds - Daniel James - €29.10m
Everton - Alex Iwobi - €30.40m
West Ham - Pablo Fornals - €28.00m

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Here you go:

Leeds and Everton didn’t even finish midtable last season. And James and Iwobi are flops, they are players who never should’ve cost as much as they did. 

i don’t know much goncalo quedes but I do know he only joined wolves this season so he wasn’t involved at all with wolves finish last season.

Fornals still cost about 4 million euros less than Bailey did.

What’s your point here? Because yes, these clubs have bought some players in around that fee. They aren’t the norm though, most of their players do not cost this much when first purchased. Some of the ones that do are often labelled as flops. Their expectations for them were likely higher than just to develop into midtable players

Edited by Laughable Chimp

55 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We can't be expecting that players should only be as good as how much we paid for them. Yes the sky 6 are stupid with money but you can't really compare finances with them. Almost every other club in the league are operating more efficiently than them with how they spend their money. They purchase players relative cheaply and are able to grow their asset. That's why for those clubs that finished between 7-10th, none of their wingers cost more than 30 million when they were first purchased. They eventually grew to possess that value later if at all.

What makes us unique is that we actually do have significant financial firepower that we can potentially do even more than these clubs that finished in that 7-10th region and I think its easy for us to lose sight for that. How can we claim that 30 million only gets you a midtable winger when these clubs are spending less money on cheaper players than that but are still able to finish in those positions? Brighton's transfer record is significantly less than that. We need to learn to spend our money better and expectations for our signings need to be higher than just "well we get what we paid for". Because if we're getting what we paid for, we're doing it wrong,

7-10 is around mid table really. There’s not much in it at all.   I reckon Emery would have this squad around 7th if he was manager all season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

34 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Leeds and Everton didn’t even finish midtable last season. And James and Iwobi are flops, they are players who never should’ve cost as much as they did.

I don’t know much goncalo quedes but I do know he only joined wolves this season so he wasn’t involved at all with wolves finish last season.

Fornals still cost about 4 million euros less than Bailey did.

What’s your point here? Because yes, these clubs have bought some players in around that fee. They aren’t the norm though, most of their players do not cost this much when first purchased. Some of the ones that do are often labelled as flops. Their expectations for them were likely higher than just to develop into midtable players

Leeds and Everton finished mid-table the season before, and that's how much they paid for mid-table players.

Far enough on Guedes only signing this season, but Wolves will be aiming for mid-table, and so far, Guedes has only shown mid-table ability.

Fornals cost 4 million less.  Not exactly different ball parks, is it?

The point is that's how much average or slightly above average players are going for in that position.  Are there examples of them costing less, sure.  But chances are a player with exceptional talent in that area, will cost a lot more than what we paid for Bailey. I would also add Buendia to that.

So, we either need better scouts, or pay more money for better players.

Edited by duke313

57 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Here you go:

Benrahma, Rodrigo, Willock, Morgan Gibbs-White all similar money too.

Sinisterra, Dwight McNeil, and Bowen a bit cheaper at £20-25m 

Bailey is there or there abouts with all of them with the exception of Bowen who I'd definitely rather have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Just said on talksport that we have just signed some player from Arsenal? Young player I think? 

Women’s team

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

I think it goes without saying that there isn't any blanket rule for transfer fee = success. 

Not sure how true it is but if so it puts things in perspective a bit, apparently Brighton's entire starting eleven the other night vs Everton cost less than Alex Iwobi did.