January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

On 22/12/2022 at 07:44, The_Steve said:

Ings is better suited to Emery. I just can’t see us with Ollie for another year. 

Not so sure.....but I can see your concerns with Ollie. However, Ollie for his shortfalls is a willing runner, despite those runs lacking Nous, at times....I am not sure, what he will do with Ollie, I think he lacks intrinsic aggression, and sharp thinking, which leads to a clinical approach.

UE likes runners and intensity....his teams thrive on workrate....somebody else, I know was like that, and that turned out fine, thanks Sir Ron.

I think moving forward, we will see more of it.

I think the players with low work rate, will be under scrutiny.

We will see more when we see, what kind of players, he signs in Jan.

Edited by TRO

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not so sure.....but I can see your concerns with Ollie. However, Ollie for his shortfalls is a willing runner, despite those runs lacking Nous, at times....I am not sure, what he will do with Ollie, I think he lacks intrinsic aggression, and sharp thinking, which leads to a clinical approach.

UE likes runners and intensity....his teams thrive on workrate.

I agree Ollie’s work rate is great. The problem is, that’s his best attribute. I think it’s a good attribute and some players have it more naturally than others but it’s easier to train and encourage a higher work rate than it is to train a higher skill set or instinctive finishing. This is why the problems up front can possibly only be solved in the transfer market. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I think we probably need a few players to go to the next level, maybe 4-5 of them, but i also think just 3 new players would change us massively, the 3 area's i would prioritise are:

• Wide/inside forward/winger type player.
  • Striker.
  • Centre Back.

Three quality players in those positions would make us an entirely different prospect i think.

would be nice to get 1-2 of those positions done in Jan....who knows tho.

Agree with this.

Think we may target the first 2 in Jan and hold off on a CB until the summer.

• Like 1

Ollie will be loved by Emery. His workrate, pressing, speed and versatility make him an ideal squad option. The only way Ollie leaves is if he isn't getting enough games and wants to leave.

Emery is not playing 2 conventional strikers. He is playing them as wide strikers. When the play is on the left, the left striker operates as an advanced winger, and the right striker comes into the middle and vice versa. I don’t believe Ings has the mobility to be effective in this role, and at his age his suitabilitywill only get worse. So I see Ings as the most expendable. Watkins on the other hand is made for this role and can play it as either left or right striker.

If we can get say Thuram to play the left striker, Bailey as the right striker, and hav Ollie as the rotation option, or if we change to a 3.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I think we probably need a few players to go to the next level, maybe 4-5 of them, but i also think just 3 new players would change us massively, the 3 area's i would prioritise are:

• Wide/inside forward/winger type player.
  • Striker.
  • Centre Back.

Three quality players in those positions would make us an entirely different prospect i think.

would be nice to get 1-2 of those positions done in Jan....who knows tho.

Ditto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Ollie will be loved by Emery. His workrate, pressing, speed and versatility make him an ideal squad option. The only way Ollie leaves is if he isn't getting enough games and wants to leave.

Emery is not playing 2 conventional strikers. He is playing them as wide strikers. When the play is on the left, the left striker operates as an advanced winger, and the right striker comes into the middle and vice versa. I don’t believe Ings has the mobility to be effective in this role, and at his age his suitabilitywill only get worse. So I see Ings as the most expendable. Watkins on the other hand is made for this role and can play it as either left or right striker.

If we can get say Thuram to play the left striker, Bailey as the right striker, and hav Ollie as the rotation option, or if we change to a 3.

Not sure I agree.  Ollie’s work rate and pressing without doubt Emery will love but technically and football IQ will be insufficient and frustrating for Emery and the way he gets his teams working.  I think over the coming 18 months Ollie will be more expendable than Ings who will be a back up to whoever we bring in.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I reckon Kamara, Luiz and Ramsey have a decent chance of being our best midfield since 2009 regardless. 

Yep. We need at least 1 to be a goalscorer and JJ is a natural scorer it seems. Iroegbunam is going to be pushing him all the way though i hope. 

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Traores not doing very well in turkey so i cant see how he will get any time under emery

Just as a short term cover option really.

Perhaps plan is to move Bailey more central in long term so we'll need a few actual wide players if that's the case so Traore could be back up to the new signings we make there.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I reckon Kamara, Luiz and Ramsey have a decent chance of being our best midfield since 2009 regardless. 

Kamara, Iroegbunam, Luiz and Ramsey midfield is exciting! 
Cost us what 15-16mil alltogether

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Ollie is a willing lad but continued reliance on players of such limited ability is more likely to leave you in the bottom half of the table rather than the top. He just isn't very good.

• Like 1

I might cop grief but if we are selling one striker to bring in someone who will be no. 1. You take the hit and sell Ings, shorter shelf life and less likely to want to work for his place in the team. Loan him out, but Ollie makes a much better back up than Ings imo.

If we are trying to build a much better, more balanced squad for Unai to coach then there will be some financial hits along the way 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

UE likes runners and intensity....his teams thrive on workrate....somebody else, I know was like that, and that turned out fine, thanks Sir Ron.

Two months ago you were saying Ollie is more talented than Andy Grey. Now he's down to just a willing runner?

I think Ollie (like Ings) is a tool that if used correctly is very potent. Just depends if that tool works for our system. If not I think we'll see an addition in Jan.

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

and less likely to want to work for his place in the team

Based on what? Ollie seems the one more likely to be one whose game is affected than Ings, just look how poor he’s gone since he got competition from Ings coming in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Based on what? Ollie seems the one more likely to be one whose game is affected than Ings, just look how poor he’s gone since he got competition from Ings coming in.

I don't think it's the competition from Ings that made him look him poor, he instantly looked better once we got rid of the charlatan.

My point is Ings is less likely to want to sit on a bench at is age, imho of course

10 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Ollie is a willing lad but continued reliance on players of such limited ability is more likely to leave you in the bottom half of the table rather than the top. He just isn't very good.

Ollie turned to complete shite under Gerrard but he'll turn up in a game and get 3 assists. I think he'll do well under Emery. That assist for Mcginn goal vs Chelsea was so clever