Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

20 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'm shocked so many think that Brighton will go easy against us last game of the season.

I don’t think they’ll go easy on us.

But there’s a few factors in our favour. We’re home (our form at home is currently 6 wins in a row). They’ll have less recovery time. And we have a more tangible benefit to winning the game than they do.

It will be tricky. But I think we can beat them. We already have done once this season.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I for one am glad there’s no more bloody permutations! 

Yes, I’ll be even more glad when we don’t have to obsess about bloody Brighton anymore. One more week and we can have a break from them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t think they’ll go easy on us.

But there’s a few factors in our favour. We’re home (our form at home is currently 6 wins in a row). They’ll have less recovery time. And we have a more tangible benefit to winning the game than they do.

It will be tricky. But I think we can beat them. We already have done once this season.

Yep. Nobody is saying they'll "go easy" on us, but if them having already confirmed Europe results in just a 1% or 2% performance drop on their part, that could make all the difference.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I love these type of permutations....means we are in the right place!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Please no pitch invasions next week, let's Unai and the players do their laps of honour

Hopefully the crowd strike the right balance of boisterous fervour to see us qualify, but don’t spill over like we’ve already won the trophy. Just enjoy that we have (hopefully) made a big step up to where we ultimately want to be.

As it goes I think there would have been much more chance of a celebratory pitch invasion happening if we were able to finish higher than Brighton - the game essentially being a play off game for sixth. 

Fingers crossed we do a Brentford at home game and go 3-0 up after 15 minutes, would put the ground in a great mood but would also reduce the chance of a dramatic last minute winner for us sending the crowd over the edge.

Would also make for a more stress-free afternoon for me.

But let’s win it first. After that worry about the dark ages.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

For the conference league?

We (the royal “we”, there) were happy celebrating on the pitch after drawing 0-0 with Boro not that long ago.

It isn’t ridiculous that it could happen on Sunday.

Imagine how embarrassing it would be if we ran on the pitch after getting to the bottom rung euro competition, when the team we have just played have made the better competition with less resources!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yes, I’ll be even more glad when we don’t have to obsess about bloody Brighton anymore. One more week and we can have a break from them.

Man City put 5 past Brighton and it’s on!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

There was one for beating baggies in quarter final of FA Cup, so no I wouldn't put it past some pricks to do it

That was an evening game vs a local rival a few days after beating them in the league to stay up (I got that right havent I? League game was the Wednesday night, cup game was the Saturday evening)

We was more about letting off steam at the end of a week which defined our season

And on top of that I didn't invade the pitch but I do know I was very very drunk for that cup game, was a good day in the JQ that day and I wasn't the only one

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Meanwhile Man City reserve team casually collect another 3 points.

Yeah, but it was against Chelsea. Kidderminster Harriers could probably get 3 points from Chelsea at the moment

• Haha 3

What could be good on Sunday in one unified rendition of we're all going on a European tour at full time

Would be a weird feeling if we get in and they're already in how you could have two very happy sets of fans almost celebrating together with no real animosity 

Most Villa fans undoubtedly want Europe, be it the Conference or whatever.

However, other than a relatively minor increase in income, I wonder how important it is for the club and prospective signings. When we're trying to sell Aston Villa to players in the summer, it will be about the big picture and hopes to challenge for Champions League... would Conference League football attract players any more than not being in it?

But obviously, as a fan, we all want to see European nights back at Villa Park. Sunday should be an electric atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

However, other than a relatively minor increase in income, I wonder how important it is for the club and prospective signings. When we're trying to sell Aston Villa to players in the summer, it will be about the big picture and hopes to challenge for Champions League... would Conference League football attract players any more than not being in it?

Yes. Shows progress.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

But obviously, as a fan, we all want to see European nights back at Villa Park. Sunday should be an electric atmosphere.

It's not much worse income than the Europa League proper

43 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

It'll be about the PL and money

Not overly worried about it, even if we don't get europe at all

Under Emery we would be one of the favourites to win the conference league. It would also be a personal challenge for him to win it. We haven’t won silverware for a while now so yeah I do want to qualify for it. West Ham fans and players are absolutely on cloud 9 reaching the final - I would love to be in that position next season. 

• Like 1