Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

United and Spurs are tired. We can take them both.

We're effectively fighting for a the "'let's get to Europe for the first time in a decade" trophy. Never underestimate Emery when he has his sights set on a target.

Edited by JayVTID
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

How many points do you reckon will be needed for 6th?

How many for 7th?

We've got 5 tough games left and all around us seem to be playing each other. I think 3 wins will get us 6th. It's weird at the moment but I wouldnt be surprised if we finish unbeaten. Unai has caused that, and the players of course

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What I like most about this prediction is that you've given us one more win than I have - but even without it we'd still get 7th and Europe.

I’m betting Wolves, Spurs and Brighton are the wins. A draw at Old Trafford. 

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Can't see Brighton only getting 11 points from 24 with their remaining 8 games.

They have tough games but they'll get more than 11 points I think, on paper it doesn't seem unreasonable but they're a very good side on their day. They'll get a win from a team we don't expect 

Wolves, United, Everton, Arsenal, Newcastle, Southampton, City, Us.

Wolves, Everton and Southampton. Not convinced they’ll beat Wolves but I’ve said we will so will do likewise with Brighton.

Don’t see them winning any of the others. Nothing from Arsenal or City. So that leaves us, Man Utd and Newcastle. Already stated that I think we’ll win, so have given them two draws from the two uniteds to be reasonable - even though I’m not convinced they will.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Our fight is for 7th IMO.

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

And every Villa fan would be delighted with 7th, considering where we were.

Belief is the biggest thing now, not blind faith but belief. That could get us even higher

If someone had said after that 3-0 Fulham defeat we'd get 7th place I'd have laughed in their face and called them deluded. If we get Europa Conference, I'll be absolutely buzzing and will be immensely proud of the team. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

And every Villa fan would be delighted with 7th, considering where we were.

Belief is the biggest thing now, not blind faith but belief. That could get us even higher

Just a shame the likes of Kamara are out.

We really could do with a few coming back fit for the run in.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

How many points do you reckon will be needed for 6th?

How many for 7th?

A site like 538 predicts 6th is 62 points and 7th is 60 points. (They predict us 8th, on 60 points, but losing out on goal difference) I think at least 10 points out of 5 matches is required.

If we win on Sunday it is 3 points, that wasn’t expected by 538, they would predict us higher with more points.

It is still all in our own hands, if we take max points, we are guaranteed top 6, most likely 5th. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

That's where we realistically end up but we're definitely fighting for 5th. We're only off it on goal difference!

I think depth/injuries and goal difference is what will( might ) ultimately see us fall short there.

As bad as Spurs have been, they have quality depth, same with Liverpool.

Brighton to a lesser League extent but the games in hand are a worry.

As noted though, all we can do is try to stay unbeaten and beat Brighton on the last day.

I've always maintained that even 8th would still be some achievement based on where we are coming from.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I know Liverpool have had some good results of late, but it wasn’t that long ago they were losing to Wolves and Bournemouth, dropping points against Chelsea and Palace. 

It’s not ridiculous that Liverpool drop points against Spurs, Brentford, Leicester and us. There’s a reasonable argument for each of those games to say it’ll happen. Yeah they’ll beat Southampton and probably Fulham.

Don’t get me wrong, I think they will likely mostly pick up wins hence why I’ve predicted them getting 5th at a canter. But they’ve ridden their luck a tiny bit recently, more than we have I would say. Could be a few unexpected dropped points.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Brighton to a lesser League extent but the games in hand are a worry.

They aren't a worry. Points on the board always. The rescheduled games in hand are Newcastle City and Manure and they have as bad of not worse injury depth issues as us and look what happened vs Forest oh and ridiculous amount of games to be played over short period

Who'd have thought that the early cup exits this season may just have given us the intervals between games to get us to this stage in the league. With the injuries and lack of squad depth any run in the cups, or at least the FA Cup may have had an adverse effect on our league form including backlogging our fixtures

50 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

6th

The new 5th

Remember when we were stuck in 11th fighting with Chelshit, we left them for dead.

Yep, plucky Chelsea are valiantly holding onto that 11th place.

• Haha 1

To hell with pragmatism. If the possibility exists for us to finish 4th, that should be the dream. It's possible Man Utd collapse and we win all our games. Why not dream big as long as we can? Is Emery telling the players to focus on the lowest hanging fruit?

“We have to be ambitious. Our commencing matches will be key to get the European positions. Our dreams, they are here.” - Unai Emery

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Could everyone stop worrying about dropping out of 7th, top 4 is now wide open.

Unfortunately Liverpool will probably nick it instead of us.

Top 4 is done imo. United still have 2 games in hand on us and are 6 points ahead

Their run in is also easier than ours: 

• Us & Brighton...both in the next 7 days. So maybe they'll be shattered...
  • Then: West Ham, Wolves, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Fulham

We would need to beat United, Wolves, Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton. That would have us on 69 points and then hope United don't somehow get 10 points from their last 6 games

14 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Top 4 is done imo. United still have 2 games in hand on us and are 6 points ahead

Their run in is also easier than ours: 

• Us & Brighton...both in the next 7 days. So maybe they'll be shattered...
  • Then: West Ham, Wolves, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Fulham

We would need to beat United, Wolves, Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton. That would have us on 69 points and then hope United don't somehow get 10 points from their last 6 games

That Leicester game has cost us 4th imo. Both Newcastle and Man Yoo have got decent points over the last couple of months too. However I still believe we will beat either Man yoo or Liverscum.