Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think Liverpool win would be better tbh. Need to keep spurs broken and down.

I thought about that, but I don't think I agree. A draw (hopefully a boring 0-0) helps keep the optionality of finishing ahead of either of them, whereas a Liverpool win makes it all the more likely we're in a one-on-one battle with Spurs. But yes, if a team has to win, then obviously better if it's Liverpool. 

• Like 1

Good new is United played 120 minutes on Sunday, play Spurs on Thursday giving us 48 hours extra rest and preparation. 

I think we can get a result this weekend. Imagine doing the double over United...

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 2

i think we can assume that spurs have imploded and end up in 8th place.

That means it is between us, Brighton and Liverpool.

With the number of games in hand I think Brighton would be favourites for 5th place, but they have an insane fixture list.

Liverpool have been on and off this season, Liverpool of old would have beaten us to one of the Europa League places, but this season I’m not sure, each time they look like their back on track, they stumble.

We have the toughest run in, but Emery have done the impossible before, let’s see how we do on Sunday, an other win and we are in with a good chance for one of the Europa League spot.

Liverpool were also really good that day. Leicester should have been a win though.

And we should have gotten a lot more than just 3 points from Bournemouth, Palace, West Ham, Forest, Leeds and Fulham under Gerrard.

Edit: I should say 2 points* from those 6 games.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Liverpool were also really good that day. Leicester should have been a win though.

And we should have gotten a lot more than just 3 points from Bournemouth, Palace, West Ham, Forest, Leeds and Fulham under Gerrard.

Edit: I should say 2 points* from those 6 games.

I’m glad we didn’t to be fair he might still have  be here 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I think who we take our points off could almost be more important than how many we take. For example, 9 points from Liverpool, Spurs and Brighton, while losing the other two, could almost be more valuable than 10 or 11 points while beating man United and wolves but dropping points to the other three. Such is the nature of the six pointers. 

We can't beat Man U and Wolves and get to 10 or 11 points without a 3rd win. Only max 15 pts available from 5 games left. 11 would be 3 wins 2 draws from 5

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Brighton have 4 games in hand, we probably can’t catch Newcastle or Man Utd, and Liverpool have relatively good fixtures.

I think a really stellar finish would be 5th. More likely 6th.

Incredible from Unai though.

If we finish 5th it'd be absolutely incredible. It'd be Ashley Young's highest finish as a Villa player which is wild to think about considering he played in that MON side that had millions pumped into it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

If Unai had been in charge since the beginning of the season on current form we'd be title challengers. Let that sink in.

Exactly! That’s why I’m not particularly worried about how the season ends as I think it’s preparing for a real challenge for the Top 6 next season. We get it this season it’s a bonus that we can’t and shouldn’t give up. 

Todays victory is exactly the type of game under MON we dropped points in when we were last challenging for the Top 6.

• Like 1