Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

19 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

This ties up the top 4 - unless Man Utd have a meltdown.

Spurs and Liverpool players aren't going to break themselves to play in the Europa conference. Ours and Brighton's will. 
We have a chance at 5th, but am now expecting us to finish at wort 7th, ahead of Spurs. We have this in our own hands given how many of us have to play each other, and we play 2 of these at home.

Just want Brighton to win today and make the FA Cup final, which hopefully will make the last game of the season an easier one for us (couple of heavy early challenges will do it, I reckon 😉)

Yes that's a good point- come on you seagulls

47 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

It's between Spurs, us, Liverpool and Brighton for 3 European spots. Brighton will definitely finish Top 7 and Liverpool have a very easy fixture list, but Spurs have as hard a fixture list as us and are on a steep decline. If we win against Fulham and they lose against United, it's on. This drubbing is excellent. Keep it up, Newcastle.

Somehow I think you're spot on.

I watched Fulham's game yday and whilst they certainly aren't bad, they are missing something without Mitro. Willian looks a proper threat though and someone we will need to nullify, i think pereira is the type of tricky forward who can cause us problems too. Its a great opportunity to play them imo and they will want to come out to us. Think its an ideal game to play atm

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I watched Fulham's game yday and whilst they certainly aren't bad, they are missing something without Mitro. Willian looks a proper threat though and someone we will need to nullify, i think pereira is the type of tricky forward who can cause us problems too. Its a great opportunity to play them imo and they will want to come out to us. Think its an ideal game to play atm

It’s gonna be Young vs Willian. That could give us trouble.

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

What would be the most ideal scenario for us with the Pool v Spurs match? Assuming we beat Fulham, do we then want Spurs to win to keep Pool 4 points behind, giving us more breathing room?

A draw would probably be a good result for us I think?

Edited by lainux
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

What would be the most ideal scenario for us with the Pool v Spurs match? Assuming we beat Fulham, do we then want Spurs to win to keep Pool 4 points behind, giving us more breathing room?

At this stage we want one of the challengers to be killed. I’d think another 6-1 Tottenham loss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

This ties up the top 4 - unless Man Utd have a meltdown.

Spurs and Liverpool players aren't going to break themselves to play in the Europa conference. Ours and Brighton's will. 
We have a chance at 5th, but am now expecting us to finish at wort 7th, ahead of Spurs. We have this in our own hands given how many of us have to play each other, and we play 2 of these at home.

Just want Brighton to win today and make the FA Cup final, which hopefully will make the last game of the season an easier one for us (couple of heavy early challenges will do it, I reckon 😉)

If Brighton win the fa cap, you'll need 6th for Europe won't you?

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're in a four team race with Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton - I reckon once all the fixtures play out and we even out the games played, we're probably bottom of that group at the moment but in good form - Spurs are the team that I think we should be picking at - Liverpool seem to be okay and will be refereed to a Europa League place if nothing else and Brighton are very annoying, but Spurs are I think the team that could implode.

A big Newcastle win today please.

Spurs will barely do anything now, think they'll do well to even reach 58 points. Brentford will turn them over if they play with the same intensity as they did v us.

However that's a little bit of a problem given they've got Livepool away this time last week.

At least West Ham are bang in form now and scoring plenty of goals so I'd be really disappointed if they just fold v Liverpool midweek, I'm expecting at least a draw from that if not West Ham beating Liverpool.

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Do we? I wouldn’t mind Brighton having a huge game 5 days after they play us on the final day.

Yeah but if Liverpool get 5th as likely and Brighton win the fa cup (I know against City but you never know) then if we get 6th we don’t get Europa League we get Conference…is that correct?

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Do we? I wouldn’t mind Brighton having a huge game 5 days after they play us on the final day.

But if Brighton win the FA cup, then 7th doesn’t get us into Europe (unless Brighton finish 5th or 6th).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but if Liverpool get 5th as likely and Brighton win the fa cup (I know against City but you never know) then if we get 6th we don’t get Europa League we get Conference…is that correct?

Yea that’s correct.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes, I’m fine with conference. Better than finishing 8th.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

But if Brighton win the FA cup, then 7th doesn’t get us into Europe (unless Brighton finish 5th or 6th).

Only if Brighton finish 8th.