Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This..people forget that the teams above us are not likely to lose their games in hand. They are above us for a reason, they have been better over the season

I disagree.  Brighton for example- their games in hand are Newcastle and ManCity.  Those matches have not been rescheduled yet either.  They will have to jam them in to an already crowded final 7+ weeks of the season.  They will likely lose both games, or draw with Newcastle- since Toon draws with everyone.

I honestly think Brighton will tail off at the end of the season.  Too many games left and not enough depth.  I just looked at the end of April for them... 3 matches in a week.  Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday.  That packed schedule are two winnable games for them as well- Forest and Wolves.  Could easily drop points due to fatigue in that run.  Then they have 5 matches in May on the books- but 2 extra games need to be fit in as well.  

12 matches over the final 7 weeks for Brighton.  That is pretty brutal physically.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Hopefully Newcastle don’t win against West Ham, Man Utd draw with Brentford. Would be perfect set of results. Then we go to a huge game against Forest. See what happens then.

I'm pulling for both matches to be draws.  Or a draw and ManU win.

5 minutes ago, ejs1111 said:

I honestly think Brighton will tail off at the end of the season.  Too many games left and not enough depth.  I just looked at the end of April for them... 3 matches in a week.  Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday.  That packed schedule are two winnable games for them as well- Forest and Wolves.  Could easily drop points due to fatigue in that run.  Then they have 5 matches in May on the books- but 2 extra games need to be fit in as well.  

12 matches over the final 7 weeks for Brighton.  That is pretty brutal physically.

For me, as much teams failing to win the better for us. Newcastle and below. Some could say we won’t catch them, we don’t have to, we might or might not. But we should hope for best scenarios and see where it takes us. We all thought Man Utd were getting 3rd. Now they might fail to secure a CL position. As long as everyone in sight thats better for us. There could be a situation going to the Brighton game with winning gives a chance for CL, while losing gets you out of the whole European places. We still have a lot of things to do, so whatever help we got from other teams is welcomed.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

They are above us for a reason, they have been better over the season

Well sure, but they haven’t been better since Emery came in. Just the first few games when we were managed by a binman and they all built big leads over us that we have chipped away at since November…

• Like 3

agreed.  It appears that Villa are peaking at the right time- the end of the season.  Villa are truly making a push for the Euro spots- whether they finish in one idk- but outside of the top2 we are playing better than anyone and picking up points.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lord knows if we win the next couple on the spin some will be we opening an " Is the Title Mathematically possible " thread. lol

It isn’t. Lock your hypothetical thread ;)

• Haha 1

While Europe would be nice it can be a real burden, especially if you don't have a super strong squad which we don't. 

I'd be happy having another year without it to really build and concentrate on the league and the domestic cups. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiney said:

While Europe would be nice it can be a real burden, especially if you don't have a super strong squad which we don't. 

I'd be happy having another year without it to really build and concentrate on the league and the domestic cups. 

I’m the opposite, we have a brilliant opportunity here and we need to do everything we can to take it. Europa or conference league would do so much for the players and the club. We’re probably 2-4 signings away from having enough squad depth to play 2 times a week, and European football also makes us more attractive for new signings. The owners also want us to be playing in Europe and will be thinking the same. Two of the top 6 are also having a mare this season and there’s no guarantee that happens again. Newcastle are a transfer window or two from having a very decent squad, still have doubts over how far Howe can take them though. Not getting it this season isn’t the end of the world of course but we have the manager and owners to go into next season ready for it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

No, but it still unrealistic. We’ve done well to get into the position we have, but our good run has come against teams who aren’t playing well. Let’s see if you’re saying that after we’ve played Brighton, Brentford and Newcastle.

attitude-b99.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hiney said:

Yup. European encounters are really a big burden.

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, useless said:

If Brentford lose to Man utd and Newcastle, Brighton lose away to Spurs, and we beat Forest then we will go sixth.

I think Brentford will probably beat Newcastle though, but that woudn't be the worst result for us as then would be just three points behind Newcastle if we can beat Forest.

Forest a big game really, because teams around us all playing each other, so as long as we can win we're going to close ground on some of them.

Then we olay newcastle in a couple games

4 hours ago, Hiney said:

It's not next season already!

• Like 3

BBC just did a comprehensive round up of last night's football. Showed images of Liverpool and Chelsea players clapping the fans and looking a bit down. Finished off the report with the words "Aston Villa also won" 

Massive club has just moved into the European places for the first time in years. 

We're not below the radar. They'd need sonar to pick us up.