Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

56 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Hello sir, we appreciate your support for the last 60 years.
You talk about the past a lot. Dean Smith and Gerrard years. 
I'm sorry but its time to move on. We have Emery Now. He's seen the issues and knows where we need to improve. Let him build and back him. 
There is no point in supporting any club if you have no (pipe)dreams. We should always be aiming for Europe and improving year by year. 
With your positive support. WE CAN DO THIS! 

I accept your appreciation, but relax, I haven't been Knighted...... mate will suffice.

At my age its customary to talk about the past, because I can......and History is known for repeating itself....maybe at times, it has a relevance, because Dean Smith started with 12 points from 18 too.

Aiming for Europe, and expecting it, is two different things.....and unless consistency can be secured, its fanciful.....Cart before the Horse.

My support, amongst 42,000 is irrelevant, but we can do this, if we do the right things....lets hope we can.

as for moving on, its an inevitable comment after every game, but don't confuse it with talking about a single game.

Ps My support is positive, in the ground, where I never boo, and only shout in support......but this is a forum where inner views are shared, accept them or reject them, its your choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

City out of the League Cup, why did we not take it seriously?  United, Forest Southampton and Newcastle left in it.

We have never had a better opportunity at winning something, completely wasted.

Moreover, our slim hopes of reaching 7th this season will be in vain unless Man Utd win it.

On 10/01/2023 at 16:20, Steero113 said:

Disagree, teams can go on miracle runs - Newcastle went berserk at the end of last season after a pretty rocky start under Howe. 

It's all a matter of how quickly Emery can instil his magic on the side. Might take 5 games, might take 50. 

Exactly, if it’s at all mathematically possible it can happen. We have an underperforming squad with Kamara and shortly Carlos to be re-integrated, some new signings (and competition) but importantly under an elite Manager.

We are barely half way through the season, looking at the games to play if you are very bullish we might only lose one more time however I dont expect that for a minute. But we used to get binary results: win/loss rarely a draw and more often a loss, Emery’s record so far is great so who knows? Also there is every chance, in fact a likely hood there is another story or two in this league yet to happen - Chelsea could slump, reality may bite at Fulham, Brentford might wobbly after their turnaround, Palace could go on a losing streak, the bubble may burst at Brighton, even Spurs may have a crisis.

Ask yourself, do you think this Villa team under Emery will do better or should do better over the remaining 20 games than Palace, Brighton, Fulham, Brentford, Chelsea? If yes then we have a decent shout at finishing 7th.

Edited by thunderball

5 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Fulham are miles better than us. Sad to say but they have a far superior level of consistency and one of the most reliable strikers in the league. 

He's so reliable that he didn't even play today.......

The Fulham train will slow down once they hit 40 points 

Edited by messi11

18 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Fulham are miles better than us. Sad to say but they have a far superior level of consistency and one of the most reliable strikers in the league. 

I've been hugely impressed with them in most of the games I've seen this season so we certainly can't act like finishing above them is a foregone conclusion, as it stands they're 9 points clear of us and fully deserve to be.

Think newly promoted Leeds and Sheffield United in recent seasons both got to 55-56 points and Fulham look every bit as good as them currently. Only query is will their intensity drop off once they hit 40 points? We'll see.

Tomorrow is a real must win just to make rest of season interesting. Beat Leeds and they have Newcastle away which they could easily lose and suddenly they're back in range and still to come to VP.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

Player for player they are not. That is what makes me optimistic. We just need to hit our stride.

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Player for player they are not. That is what makes me optimistic. We just need to hit our stride.

I don't disagree with that, but they are well oiled and have been playing (and winning) under Silva for some time.

We are at the start of another project. I really think this one will work out but I think it'll take time and they are a lot slicker than us as things stand. 

13 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

They have a proper midfield this season. Reed, Paliniha and Pereira has a lovely balance to it and has been very effective against pretty much all these this season.

We are starting to get there. Hopefully we line up start of next season with similar profile in midfield.

• Like 1