Midweek Football 14/17 March

andykeenan

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I also don’t understand why every time the ref goes to the Tv screen he always overturns his original decision. It’s so predictable 

It's explicitly called out in the rules as being used as a tool to help "sell" the VAR decision, and overseas when that aussie ref was micced up, we heard him do just that. I suspect genuine reviews are few and far between.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Like there's literally no need for this. I don't know if it's a red necessarily, but this deserves more than a yellow surely? It's more than just cynically pulling someone back.

A still image doesn't tell the whole story. Looks to me like Saint-Maximin has stamped on Allen and he ought to be off ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I agree. But there's tons of these types of challenges every game and they're never reds. Always yellow.

I think they should be red for the best interest of the game, but they need to be consistent.

In the interests of the game we should introduce “team fouls” like in basketball, so persistent fouling to stop counter attacks can’t be cycled around all the players who don’t have a yellow.

But no way should that specific foul be a straight red. It’s a physical contact sport, and straight reds should be reserved for genuinely dangerous play or deliberate fouls / handballs that prevent clear goalscoring chances. Can’t just give them out for any aggressive foul or you ruin the game.

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Here's a question, I think the answer is no. If Newcastle were at home tonight, would that protestor be tried and beheaded after the game?

They'd behead him during the game. Bolt cutters wouldn't be needed then.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

In the interests of the game we should introduce “team fouls” like in basketball, so persistent fouling to stop counter attacks can’t be cycled around all the players who don’t have a yellow.

But no way should that specific foul be a straight red. It’s a physical contact sport, and straight reds should be reserved for genuinely dangerous play or deliberate fouls / handballs that prevent clear goalscoring chances. Can’t just give them out for any aggressive foul or you ruin the game.

This was a bit more than a deliberate clip of the heels or a tug of the shoulder kind of tactical foul no? 

The foul itself is a yellow card even if it was done in earnest/mistimed. Surely the deliberateness of it should also be considered?

Â