Midweek Football 14/17 March

andykeenan

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Is their team really close to what they had in 2019? I know Haller's scored loads and they still have a similar defence but I can't believe rest of attack and midfield is close, Tadic is in his mid 30s now.

Benfica was a pretty kind draw for them.

Think if Newcastle weren't in such good form they'd have looked at Ten Hag. Spurs tried to get him in the past so could be option if Conte quits.

The 2019 team have not been great elsewhere, De Ligt has been fourth choice at times for Juventus this season, Rugani was playing ahead of him recently. less said about Van De Beek and Ziyech

T

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Is their team really close to what they had in 2019? I know Haller's scored loads and they still have a similar defence but I can't believe rest of attack and midfield is close, Tadic is in his mid 30s now.

Benfica was a pretty kind draw for them.

Think if Newcastle weren't in such good form they'd have looked at Ten Hag. Spurs tried to get him in the past so could be option if Conte quits.

I agree Ajax on paper look weaker than in 2019, but they have done well in the league with very few conceded goals, and also in the CL group stage. But not good enough it seems.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The 2019 team have not been great elsewhere, De Ligt has been fourth choice at times for Juventus this season, Rugani was playing ahead of him recently. less said about Van De Beek and Ziyech

T

De Jong been average at Barca aswell although probably Xavi is sort of manager he needs.

That team was really fun to watch, travesty Spurs mugged them in the SF.

I saw at tweet on the BBC that in the last decade they have a gross spend of £1.4b, and in that time have won 2 CL knock out games. 

£1.4b and they have finished the game tonight with Mata, Matic, Ronaldo and Cavani who have a combined age of about 500. Oh and Pogba who is leaving on a free in the summer. 

The club is a fecking mess. 

I love it. 

3 minutes ago, andym said:

6 losses in a row for Brighton, and just 1 goal scored in those games

Only Burnley and Norwich have scored less goals this season

yet some people rate a lot of Brighton players better than our own. I remember was a time Maupay would be a great signing for us :D 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Ben White had no awareness at all from what was behind him for that goal. Shocking defending. Hopefully Liverpool get another couple to hit their confidence a bit.

C'Mon scousers, don't let Gresford get his medal 😂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yet some people rate a lot of Brighton players better than our own. I remember was a time Maupay would be a great signing for us :D 

Neal Maupay the one who got away

That's got to be up there as one of the biggest head wobblers ever on here 

Wasnt just 1 poster either 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The seats need to be replaced in the emirates too, gone very faded and pink like the Stadium of Light in Sunderland.

Oddly enough, they agree, they've got a refurb scheduled for the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Neal Maupay the one who got away

That's got to be up there as one of the biggest head wobblers ever on here 

Wasnt just 1 poster either 

People just wanted to shit on Wesley. And to be honest, I don't think there's much between him and pre-injury Wesley.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

People just wanted to shit on Wesley. And to be honest, I don't think there's much between him and pre-injury Wesley.

Maupay is 50x the footballer of Wes. As was said at the time watching him, he wouldn't make it in League 1 I don't think.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Maupay is 50x the footballer of Wes. As was said at the time watching him, he wouldn't make it in League 1 I don't think.

But he did make it in the PL for a short while with Villa. His goal return was good while playing in a struggling team, especially as that was his first season and he was a young player. 

I feel like Wes could have been another Ayew. Not that good, but a solid mid table striker to get 10 goals a season. 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

He’s a horrid little turd of a player and vastly overrated. Still dining off a few goals. 

Potter is the great myth of management - his team pass the ball well but do nothing of note. 

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He’s a horrid little turd of a player and vastly overrated. Still dining off a few goals. 

Potter is the great myth of management - his team pass the ball well but do nothing of note. 

You wouldn't mind if he was good and being a rat but he is crap. Ollie is 5 behind him in Premier League goals and played a season less 

I thought Saka was rubbish last night the opposite of Martenelli who was brilliant. Big win for Liverpool, I thought they might come unstuck there. Spanish teams are doing well in the champions league, not so Italian teams. Would not expect juve to loose to Villareal. 

Just now, PaulC said:

I thought Saka was rubbish last night the opposite of Martenelli who was brilliant. Big win for Liverpool, I thought they might come unstuck there. Spanish teams are doing well in the champions league, not so Italian teams. Would not expect juve to loose to Villareal. 

Juventus are poor defensively especially without Chiellini and Bonucci

The drop in quality from the bench is huge 

Â