Midweek Football 14/17 March

andykeenan

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’ve read 30m, anyway he’s the highest paid manager in the world they say.

Imagine someone like United hiring him on a 5 year contract, then sacking him after 6 months… £135m payoff 😳 

I really do think that the Man U squad is a bad group of players. Just listening to Scholes there post match, saying there a top top team of players. Theres good individuals but it's a horrible squad. Watching Ronaldo, Matic, Mata and Cavani trying to get around the pitch like they use to is painful.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Imagine someone like United hiring him on a 5 year contract, then sacking him after 6 months… £135m payoff 😳 

and would still better value than the 80 million they paid for Maguire :D 

55 minutes ago, av1 said:

I probably wouldn’t go that far mate, I think he’s half decent tbh. 

What he isn’t though. Is an £80m CB that deserves to play for England, or indeed play for a team that has the expectations of a team like UTD. 

If he played for Burnley he wouldn’t have a single England cap. 

Didn't he get his first cap when at Hull? Leicester were mid table when he played in 2018 world cup.

Having a disaster of a season though, no argument from me.

Also coming up to 30 and still has a few years left on his deal so they'll be stuck with him for next season.

24 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Looks like Man U get knocked out of CL early, just like the club’s two candidates for new manager: Pochettino with PSG and Ten Hag with Ajax. Wonderful.

They might aswell just ditch Rangnick now and hope one of those clubs sack or agree to release those above, probably more likely Poch who'd probably resign if he knew Man. United wanted him now.

Feels like they'll remain in transition next season as they need at least 3 new attacking players and also have to sort out CM. And defensively they've been poor all season. So dosen't strike me they'll be doing much next year with possibly 5-6 new signings in the team and no CL means they won't be signing top tier players bar perhaps tempting Kane if he wants to play for Pochettino again.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

True. They must be paying him about £150k a week to be that shit too :lol: 

If you had never seen him play you would think he was match fixing but no he is just that bad. 

a modern day Titus Bramble

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I really do think that the Man U squad is a bad group of players. Just listening to Scholes there post match, saying there a top top team of players. Theres good individuals but it's a horrible squad. Watching Ronaldo, Matic, Mata and Cavani trying to get around the pitch like they use to is painful.

Guy Mowbray said when he came on Mata hadn't played a single minute in prem all season! They've lost their way giving endless past it players new deals, Matic should've gone two years ago, can still read the game o.k but can't run either.

Would be like us in 2019 just handing new deals to Whelan and Jedinak as they'd have been good in the dressing room.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

They might aswell just ditch Rangnick now and hope one of those clubs sack or agree to release those above, probably more likely Poch who'd probably resign if he knew Man. United wanted him now.

Feels like they'll remain in transition next season as they need at least 3 new attacking players and also have to sort out CM. And defensively they've been poor all season. So dosen't strike me they'll be doing much next year with possibly 5-6 new signings in the team and no CL means they won't be signing top tier players bar perhaps tempting Kane if he wants to play for Pochettino again.

both Poch and Ten Hag have failed as well this season in Europe. Ten Hag in particular they should have comfortably beaten Benfica and have had 2 poor group stage knockouts in last few seasons and knocked out of Europe by Getafe. His win record is impressive on paper but he has only won 2 titles in 4 seasons and PSV are catching up on them

Can see him being swallowed up at a big club in England

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ajax getting knocked out already is a huge surprise, much more so than Man U. Superstar manager Erik Ten Hag suddenly looks like a loser.

Is their team really close to what they had in 2019? I know Haller's scored loads and they still have a similar defence but I can't believe rest of attack and midfield is close, Tadic is in his mid 30s now.

Benfica was a pretty kind draw for them.

Think if Newcastle weren't in such good form they'd have looked at Ten Hag. Spurs tried to get him in the past so could be option if Conte quits.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

both Poch and Ten Hag have failed as well this season in Europe. Ten Hag in particular they should have comfortably beaten Benfica and have had 2 poor group stage knockouts in last few seasons and knocked out of Europe by Getafe. His win record is impressive on paper but he has only won 2 titles in 4 seasons and PSV are catching up on them

Can see him being swallowed up at a big club in England

Depends who else is out there, Rodgers stock is much lower now and would have the ex Liverpool thing hanging over him. Perhaps Tuchel will walk from Chelsea and suddenly that's an intriguing option to go after.

Beyond that you're pretty much gambling on potential.

Â