Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Ramsey wasn't great against Leeds but it wasn't like he was actively bad either, he had flashes of influencing the game but drifted in and out of it. I'd probably have rested him for this match but can see why he hasn't - he didn't drop a clanger, if he's fit I guess Gerrard sees it as his place to lose and just being 'alright' in the match before, where we won, isn't reason to be out of the side.

Not the decision I'd have made but he's the manager.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dale said:

His job is to do both right. You've got to keep the squad happy, not just get results. If you can't it all falls apart. 

Yes but if he keeps the squad happy but doesnt get results, in ends in one way. If he get results with a few players losing interest, no-one cares. Plus no-one certainly ever cares about players not getting games when we're winning.

People would be screaming for Buendia to start if we hadnt won 3 in a row. As of right now, no-one is saying it and rightly so.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Gerrard trusted him to start v Chelsea and Man. United.

I've always suspected he just sees Sanson as an alternative for McGinn and not Ramsey or Luiz so as long as McGinn is available Sanson isn't starting unless we tweak midfield structure.

He's still trusted at least to come on to see out games we're winning with 15-20 minutes left.

You may be right but sounds strange at the same time, Ramsey and Sanson are both right footed while McGinn is left.

unchanged lineup isnt bad or anything, but i really do think sanson put in a good claim to make a rare start and would have been good to have someone comfortable with the ball and reasonably fresh to start against west ham. one thing i do have a concern about is the motivation of the wider squad, obviously they are all professionals but it can't take much to get to a point where they start putting the feelers out elsewhere or their morale dips as they believe however well they play as a substitute it won't yield a start unless an injury occurs.

the squad is looking strong right now but we have to be prepared that some players who are good for the squad might not be happy to be bench warmers week after week and will look elsewhere. This could result in other players opting to join other premier league outfits. i do think we could rotate a bit more and be a bit more proactive that way, but still think this is a solid team

• Like 1

Just now, alreadyexists said:

I think we’ll see two fairly tired sides, and the winner will be the one who can stand the pace… I think that might be us, but we shall see.

Yeah to be fair to Gerrard, maybe he's gambled a bit and thought WH might not make changes either from their own Thursday match or only make one or two (which is what has happened).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think we’ll see two fairly tired sides, and the winner will be the one who can stand the pace… I think that might be us, but we shall see.

I don't think Gerard will take tiredness as an excuse 

• Like 2

Unchanged side which is good, but we looked leggy even before half time against Leeds so I just hope we don't start slow. We could be 2 down before we know it if we're not at the races, then it's a long way back.