Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

25 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If we sign anyone it should be a Lange project signing and a player under 24. 

Gerrard should have no say what soever in any deal 

No player at all should be allowed to leave the club 

While you're not wrong, the club should never put themselves in such a position. 

All signings and outgoings should be done with the approval of the manager. If he's not in the position to do so then surely it's untenable. 

I'm afraid they will actually back him still and we'd lose some good players that could actually be used by a new, more competent, manager. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There won’t be any big signings as Gerrard is still in a charge. Maybe a couple of squad fillers. Money will probably be spent in January by the next manager to ensure we finish this season strong. 

Another wasted year it seems :(

January the worst time to sign players. Rip of central. See Digne.

7 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

A twitter thread pointing the finger at Lange. Take it with a grain of salt but I can see a thread of bad or unnecessary transfers going back to the end of Dean's reign and it would certainly explain a lot.

I don't buy it. We completed 3 big transfers before the window even opened. I can't then believe there is a systemic issue that our team is incapable of completing transfers at latter stages.

The only thing we appear to be good at is getting deals complete quickly and quietly whilst getting them over the line.

Suarez has gone to Uruguay - either he had no offers in Europe, including us or he was always going there.

When we play with no plan, no structure, no patterns of passing or movement, our 'tactics' don't match the players we have and we are getting routinely lambasted by all pundits despite their best mate being our manager because our system looks terrible... It's on the manager. Perhaps the DoF could be doing better, but the blame is with Gerrard

Just now, Pissflaps said:

January the worst time to sign players. Rip of central. See Digne.

It is but it will only be a couple of signings to ensure we stay up / finish strong. Then new manager invests big in the summer. 

We’re not going to attract big players while so much uncertainty around the manager. Unless of course the club are 100% behind him. 

I don't want any more future stars or bargains for 23 year olds. We are not Brighton or Southampton - we have the financial might to do a lot better and we as fans have been openly told to expect more and raise the standard.

What happened to the exciting summer? Whatever you think about Gerrard he has been openly talking about a midfielder (as has everyone on this forum) yet nothing has been done.

While I agree that a new manager would potentially do a whole lot better with this squad I don't have a lot of faith left in the club to sign the right players at the right time.

Edited by Anything11
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’re not going to attract big players while so much uncertainty around the manager. Unless of course the club are 100% behind him. 

You could probably add to the fact that we have started the season with 1 win in 5. I remember Newcastle had problems getting players in January as no one wanted to play in a relegation battle. 

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

If I was the board I’d want to throw money at this asap to try bring in some big name players to drag us up the table… and of course a new manager. 

Thing is they have spent money, it just been spent on crap, look at some one the losses we have made on players! There is no bottomless pit of money, they might be rich but they are business men. They wont keep spending their money for no return.

Gerrards signing all these aging olayers like digne and countinho. Under smith at least he was building a young exciting team.

Gerrards destroyed the team smith has built. We need to get rid. Signing moura and dendonker are not signings that will help the club long term stop gaps.

Also if we had the 25m for sarr wheres that money gone??

14 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

A twitter thread pointing the finger at Lange. Take it with a grain of salt but I can see a thread of bad or unnecessary transfers going back to the end of Dean's reign and it would certainly explain a lot.

Most likely just fantasies. But if there was any truth in it, it would actually paint Lange in a more positive light despite Villamole's attempt to do the opposite. It sounds here as if Gerrard wanted complete control over transfers and has been chasing 30-35 year old short term solutions, while Lange has stopped some of those shit ideas from becoming reality (Suarez being one).

• Like 3

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Most likely just fantasies. But if there was any truth in it, it would actually paint Lange in a more positive light despite Villamole's attempt to do the opposite. It sounds here as if Gerrard wanted complete control over transfers and has been chasing 30-35 year old short term solutions, while Lange has stopped some of those shit ideas from becoming reality (Suarez being one).

I don't agree. It states Suarez was a short term solution and he is the only "30-35yr" old mentioned. It also talks about buying youth in there if I am not mistaken.

Don't get me wrong I don't necessarily believe it but I like to look at opposing views.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Just heard Mikel Arteta say that Arsenal are in the market for a CM as Elneny has a long-term injury.

Contrast that with us whose response to Carlos picking up a long-term injury is to loan out another CB before finding a replacement.

Im 99.9% they are going to bid for luiz esp after yesterday.

Id do a straight swap for ESR if he is available 

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yeah its probably all BS but if Gerrard wanted Suarez and Tarkowski he should have been sacked there and then. 

• Like 1