Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

This should cheer everyone up

😭

Our record is poor in the transfer market but there is a little bit of clickbait narrative in that Tweet. We signed Chuk in 2016 and sold him this year for 20m. We bought Targett in 2019 for 14m and sold him for 15m in 2022 too.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Why would leon bailey even consider Ajax that to me is a such a backwards move in his career. If reports were true of course

Villa bench to Champions League. No, it would not be a backwards step at all.

• Like 1

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

No way he would even consider us 

Why would anyone, by that logic? It's not like he's pulling up trees at Wolves.

Pretty sure many said Coutinho would never consider us, then he signed. I wouldn't have expected Everton captain Digne to join us either, but he did. Ings is another that surprised me.

People are talking about Tielemans and Diallo. Perhaps they're out of teach too, but Neves is honestly no further out of reach.

• Like 1

Didn't Gerrard mention at the start of the summer that fans would be really excited by the targets we had and that he was? 

Now I'm not expecting us to bring in every world class player we want but if you aim high, should there not be some back up options? 

Also the whole Sarr thing just shows what a mess it is. If we've identified that we need that sort of player, surely Sarr isn't the only option in world football. 

I just don't know what the plan is. 

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Pretty sure many said Coutinho would never consider us, then he signed. I wouldn't have expected Everton captain Digne to join us either, but he did. Ings is another that surprised me.

People are talking about Tielemans and Diallo. Perhaps they're out of teach too, but Neves is honestly no further out of reach.

I agree with the logic of we would be able to sign him if we really tried but I think he would be 70m+ and way out of our budget. I would prefer to spend 40m on a player and 30m on a manager

37 minutes ago, John said:

I wouldn't mind Gilmour actually, he's a better player than he looked at Norwich. 

didnt see much of him at norwich but from what i did see he was really slow on the ball, to coin a NFL QB term it was like he was going through his progressions, he didnt pick the first pass instantly which as a cliche is obviously the best pass he looked at 5 team mates before going back to the first pass and it killed them

On 30/08/2022 at 00:08, avfc1982am said:

It make me laugh how people go on like Luiz is some pussy in midfield when for the last 3 years he's been the only one holding the midfield together.  Hardly had an opportunity to get used to the 8 role he started in when at VDG. He's the only one who can retain the ball, show composure and find his own teammates with a pass more often than not.  I wonder how long before the same people start slagging Kamara off as well because he's getting overrun too, moaning that he gets bullied too much. 

OK I will let you off only quoting me on this point and ignoring the fact that for the last 2 or 3 seasons - I have been constantly and consistently bemoaning the fact that our midfield is woefully unbalanced and that Luiz (and now Kamara) has been overrun because he had no support.  2 seasons ago I was one of the few voices talking about how Luiz looked like he was having a mare - when the issue was that McGinn had let his man go and Luiz was suddenly stuck having to mark two players.  This is why I want another player to play alongside Kamara to help defensively.  Luiz is many things but he is not a defensive midfielder.  He can defend but in only a handful of matched Kamara has shown why a proper 6 is vital. 

My issue is exactly what you are saying - the big risk we have is that Kamara will get over-run. 

In order to address that I would want someone who is ideally a cross between Luiz and Kamara because Luiz does not lead the midfield either vocally or defensively.  We'd be in danger of playing him out of position again.  As a more creative third midfielder I think he would be great - retains the ball better than McGinn and JJ and playing slightly ahead of the other two would give him more ability to focus on his passing and creativity.  He's also pretty good cover for the new CM I would like to get in - certainly better than anyone else we have (at least until Tim is 1st Team ready). 

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I doubt he’s going to leave for a club no where near European football, and he’s got all the Portuguese links in wolves. 

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah it’s just a worry and feeling atm… I’m fearing that we are going to end up and be left with a weaker, lighter squad with less options.

Maybe we will get a couple of quality signings in (just feels unlikely and like maybe we have changed tact or are in a sudden rush now) but at the expense of a lighter squad.

Sell too many players, especially midfielders, and we have no one of any real worth on that bench to change it up in games, to cover for injuries and suspension. An injury to a key player and we are up shit creek…

I really hope the club isn’t being shortsighted or dictated to by the manager…

Maybe it’s just the overall negative feeling and poor performances that are influencing me but we do only have until 11pm tomorrow (shit, that’s come around quick!) to sort ourselves out… it does feel like there is at least a bit of panic…

When was the last time we were active on deadline day? I also fear that even if we have targets/deals lined up, they could fall through or fail to be completed in time and we are left in the brown stuff…

All feels crap right now, we need some kind of lift asap…

I absolutely understand your frustrations, they are well founded.

Though, we don't know what is going on in the background, we could have a couple of deals we've been working on for a long time about to come to fruition, or we could be wildly scrabbling around, as so little tends to get leaked it is difficult to tell.

We had a big squad at the beginning of the window, and we've trimmed it considerably, I don't think we are desperate for bodies, but we can't really let too many more go without having immediate replacements. If Sanson goes, we've no real cover for Ramsey or McGinn for example.

The injury to Carlos is bad luck, and it has messed up our transfer plans no doubt about it, after letting Hause go out on loan I'm expecting a defender to come in, but I'm not expecting great quality.

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Our record is poor in the transfer market but there is a little bit of clickbait narrative in that Tweet. We signed Chuk in 2016 and sold him this year for 20m. We bought Targett in 2019 for 14m and sold him for 15m in 2022 too.

I wonder how many clubs actually do make an overall profit on signings?  I also wonder what kind of meltdown fans would be having if a team raised £550 million through player sales and then only bought £465 million of players to replace / upgrade them.  Even if the team progressed from narrowly escaping relegation to mid-table - with a £85 million transfer profit most fans would be moaning like hell about the ambitions of the owners and them only being interested in making money.