Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Gerrard said some time ago that he was only after quality 'A' list targets .... nailed on first eleven starters.

I believe we tried to sign Bissouma to play alongside Kamara but he wanted to play for a London club, so that's the kind of quality that he is looking for.

The money is ready and available for the right player/s, but SG has made it clear that he will be patient if that player isn't available this window.

He rightly doesn't want 'B' list players.

Just commenting on a suggestion I made yesterday on Nat Phillips being a good CB loan option. Thanks to Klopp I got a good look at NP last night as a starter for Liverpool. He looked a bit rusty but did some of his work simply and effectively as he started to settle into the game, until he was totally shown up for a woeful lack of pace when caught on the halfway line by Zaha, who left him for dead and scored on that breakaway.

I still think he's an option for a team that plays a low block and leaves their defence protecting the defensive third, but he would be an accident waiting to happen for us in a high back line due to his total lack of pace. I hold my hands up, I was totally wrong about his suitability for us.

One more thought .... I was struck by the similarity with Liverpool's tactics and our own last night. They seem to have curtailed the passing approach through midfield and favoured the long over the top aerial balls to Salah and Diaz on either wing, or the swinging touchline crosses from 25 metres out from TAA. Is that a reaction to losing Mane? If it is then it demonstrates the importance of identifying exactly the right players for our key positions, whether it be this transfer window or the next couple. Patience may well be a virtue. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Probably a load of rubbish, but  players that fit the description:

• Danjuma
  • Moreno
  • Depay
  • Isak
  • Raul de Tomas
  • Morata (money laundering option)
  • Inaki Williams
  • Umar Sadiq

Sadiq is going Villareal 

Depay Juventus 

Johan Lange, Sporting Director of Aston Villa Club, wants to sign Vitor Nelsson, with whom he worked in Copenhagen!
Aston Villa will knock on Galatasaray's door with an offer of 17 million pounds!

Edited by Rustibrooks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

image.thumb.png.687cceda9ebda7a484c9a6f4c80060f8.png

Read a snippet from this BBC Sport article all you guys having a go for complaining: Wolves - who have finished 7th, 7th, 13th and 10th since getting promoted (far better than we have achieved) - have their fans complaining from lack of activity despite now signing Collins, Guedes and Nunes. Those are three first team signings they have made since last season after finishing 10th (4 places higher than us) compared to us making two (Kamara and Carlos) and one of those is now injured for the season.

We have always been a bigger club than Wolves, yet their fans have higher expectations than us for some strange reason and demand more from their owners (who by the way have done an absolutely outstanding job over there) yet we get accused of being ungrateful for what the owners have done thus far this summer despite regressing last season by three places and so far having done very little to rectify that poor finish by not investing sufficiently in the playing squad. 

I'm sorry but that is just bullsh*t. We're all here to debate the club and I know you all hate negativity on here, but there's a clear distinction between negativity and reality and the reality is we are in for a poor season if we don't bring any more players in to improve the side. 

The bigger club yes, but we weren't the better placed club for much of the 50s, 60s and early 70s though. The Dingles will never be happy, they harp back to the days of Billy Wright, when they won for fun and much like Newcastle (until their Saudi cash arrived) struggled to accept that those days were long past. Currently Wolves are having their best run in the league for about 40 years and are mid-table competition for us, this season unless we go again in this window. I agree with you that we need to, if we are going to be comfortably top half this season. I think the owners (on the quiet) share our opinion too and I can see us signing 2 or 3 quality players, before the window closes.  

17 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Gerrard said some time ago that he was only after quality 'A' list targets .... nailed on first eleven starters.

I believe we tried to sign Bissouma to play alongside Kamara but he wanted to play for a London club, so that's the kind of quality that he is looking for.

The money is ready and available for the right player/s, but SG has made it clear that he will be patient if that player isn't available this window.

Just commenting on a suggestion I made yesterday on Nat Phillips being a good CB loan option. Thanks to Klopp I got a good look at NP last night as a starter for Liverpool. He looked a bit rusty but did some of his work simply and effectively as he started to settle into the game, until he was totally shown up for a woeful lack of pace when caught on the halfway line by Zaha, who left him for dead and scored on that breakaway.

I still think he's an option for a team that plays a low block and leaves their defence protecting the defensive third, but he would be an accident waiting to happen for us in a high back line due to his total lack of pace. I hold my hands up, I was totally wrong about his suitability for us.

One more thought .... I was struck by the similarity with Liverpool's tactics and our own last night. They seem to have curtailed the passing approach through midfield and favoured the long over the top aerial balls to Salah and Diaz on either wing, or the swinging touchline crosses from 25 metres out from TAA. Is that a reaction to losing Mane? If it is then it demonstrates the importance of identifying exactly the right players for our key positions, whether it be this transfer window or the next couple. Patience may well be a virtue. 

They have been doing the diagonal through ball to Mane and Salah for years. If you look at the year they won the league you’d be amazed how many goals they scored this way.  It’s actually really effective!

• Like 2

Scandinavian Centre Back.

I don't need to hear much more about it, I'm cool with it. Can he grow a beard?

For every Okore or Helenius there is a Laursen and Mellberg. We're due a good one. Bring it on.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I mean, we signed Augustinsson so that's clearly not true.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Just out of interest, who do you think the club are? Secondly what possible motivation would they have, whoever they are, to screw us either now or further down the line?

Well you could quite clearly ask the same questions to Wolves fans or Leicester fans who are complaining about their ownership despite far more success than we have had in the last 5 years. 

On your second question what are you on about? I’ve not spoken about owners’ motivation, of course there is no motivation to screw us over (intentionally) but I’m sure Lerner didn’t intend to screw us over when he lost loads of money during the 2007-09 recession and then decided to run the club on a shoestring leading to us being an embarrassment on the pitch. 

I’ve really liked what these owners have done so far but I also really quite liked Lerner up from 2006 to 2011. Owners unfortunately have to continually invest, especially when they say they have ambitious plans and when they are presiding over a team that finished in a very lowly position of 14th last season which no one was happy about (slightly different when compared to, for example, Liverpool having a quieter window after finishing 2nd last season or even Leicester who finished 8th). 

Anyway, make of my comments what you will. I’m sure you’ll find a way to spin them any way you like. 

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, we signed Augustinsson so that's clearly not true.

And Chambers. I think when opportunity’s for squad players come available the club will act. But as Carlos was signed a first team player, we need another one to replace him ideally.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I heard that the other night watching the Almeria/Madrid game.  Him moving there might mean Danjuma or Moreno leaving Villarreal.

Danjuma is a winger isnt he? He was at Bournemouth

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He would have probably gone on to fulfil his potential were it not for it.

He was very quick as well wasnt he?

He had it all! Whether it would have lasted or not we’ll never know but I remember being very excited by what I saw. The injury was a nasty one.