Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought Coutinho could do this role but he just doesn’t look the player he once was.

He needs to play in the middle I think, closer to whoever is up top. I'd like to see a midfield three of Kamara as the DM, Luiz as the 8 and Coutinho roaming as a hybrid 8/10. He looks completely isolated out wide, and lacks the physical attributes to be that ball carrier that we need to both retain possession and be able to hit people on the break. Bailey may well be able to do this from the right once he's actually up to speed, but I just find it a bit absurd we didn't at least try to get someone in who would replicate a bit of what Grealish used to do on that side of the pitch. It might've made the transition to playing without him a little easier, perhaps. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you know chequebook isnt just in transfer fees wages are a lot worse than transfer fees, he signed Defoe and Davis on Premier League wages

38 players in 3 seasons is as chequebook as you get

Oh, so now you pivot to wages?

Some how I don’t think the “wages” will exceed the *15m* delta in transfer fees. And I’m fairly sure that Celtic didn’t pay their players in chocolate buttons either. 

I’ve just shown you that factually you are incorrect. Keep digging that hole. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you know chequebook isnt just in transfer fees wages are a lot worse than transfer fees, he signed Defoe and Davis on Premier League wages

38 players in 3 seasons is as chequebook as you get

Plus Celtic were selling their better players while not freeing up resources to sign the players Rodgers wanted like McGinn.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Oh, so now you pivot to wages?

Some how I don’t think the “wages” will exceed the *15m* delta in transfer fees. And I’m fairly sure that Celtic didn’t pay their players in chocolate buttons either. 

I’ve just shown you that factually you are incorrect. Keep digging that hole. 

Its always been about wages not transfer fees, how do you think we were financially **** in the past. Wages do more damage than transfer fees

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s an out and out winger? I always think of Tony Daley or Aaron Lennon when I heard this. 

If you mean another wide forward then we probably do need another one as ideally we’d have 2 for each position.   

Yeah winger/inside forward whichever way you call it. 3 people for 2 positions is not enough imo 

• Like 1

We can buy all the midfielders we want but until we play with a tight 3 in the middle it won’t make any difference. We will still get overrun as we are emptying the middle of the park all the time leaving the DM isolated. Also when we are in possession the centre backs need to be further up the field. They were 20 years too deep against Bournemouth, we need to condense the space. Leaves us open to a ball over the top a bit more but nothing we shouldn’t be able to deal with. 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Our midfield hasn’t clicked for 18 months under two managers in two different seasons.  I don’t think sticking with just these midfielders is very wise.  Thankfully given Gerrard’s comments we are still looking for another midfielder.

Exactly we need another titan in there to control and show wizardry at a higher level than the rest , a tall athletic monster thats gonna dominate for us.

Rodrigo De Paul 🇦🇷 

Youri Tielemans 🇧🇪 

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 1

Just now, RicRic said:

Exactly we need another titan in there to control and show wizardry at a higher level than the rest , a tall athletic monster thats gonna dominate for us.

Rodrigo De Paul 🇺🇾✅✅

He is Argentinian :P  

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its always been about wages not transfer fees, how do you think we were financially **** in the past. Wages do more damage than transfer fees

So *again* these pesky little things called *facts* tell a different story.

Per the accounts of each club per year total expenditure on salaries, social security and pension (for the entire club as finding reliable player specific info is difficult) was in millions of pounds for Celtic v rangers: 

2019 - 56.1m v 34 m

2020 - 54.32m v 43m

2021 - 51.7m v 47.69m

So not only did Gerrard spend significantly less on players than Celtic in each year he also spent significant less on salaries. 

What are you going to blame him for next? The Ukraine crisis? Cost of living? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

So *again* these pesky little things called *facts* tell a different story.

Per the accounts of each club per year total expenditure on salaries, social security and pension (for the entire club as finding reliable player specific info is difficult) was in millions of pounds for Celtic v rangers: 

2019 - 56.1m v 34 m

2020 - 54.32m v 43m

2021 - 51.7m v 47.69m

So not only did Gerrard spend significantly less on players than Celtic in each year he also spent significant less on salaries. 

What are you going to blame him for next? The Ukraine crisis? Cost of living? 

He put over 13 million on the wage budget in 3 years, if you dont think thats a problem and not the sign of a chequebook manager then I dont know what is

After the financial crisis Rangers have gone through these numbers are **** scary

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He put over 13 million on the wage budget in 3 years, if you dont think thats a problem and not the sign of a chequebook manager then I dont know what is

After the financial crisis Rangers have gone through these numbers are **** scary

Had they not had the EL run last year and received good money for Bassey they would have been facing ruin again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Had they not had the EL run last year and received good money for Bassey they would have been facing ruin again.

Naively chasing the Champions League dream as always, lucky for them Van Bronckhorst seems to be doing a better job at the Champions League than last season

15 minutes ago, WHY said:

We can buy all the midfielders we want but until we play with a tight 3 in the middle it won’t make any difference. We will still get overrun as we are emptying the middle of the park all the time leaving the DM isolated. Also when we are in possession the centre backs need to be further up the field. They were 20 years too deep against Bournemouth, we need to condense the space. Leaves us open to a ball over the top a bit more but nothing we shouldn’t be able to deal with. 

The system still feels random and like a collection of pieces that don’t fit. Like picking bits here and there, attacking full backs are trendy so let’s have that, possession is trendy so we want that too.

SG says we want more possession, but we don’t set up that way. We sort of press but only sometimes and half-hearted, and the pressing doesn’t look organized. We don’t play with a high line. How are Villa supposed to be a possession side that way with players so far apart?

We leave huge gaps between defence and midfield, commit a couple of players to a half-arsed press which mostly makes it easier for the opposition to play through.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

But he still spent less than Celtic, a lot less, and still won the league, without losing a game. You think it’s realistic for a club to get promoted and keep salaries at lower league levels?

Your continued persistence, despite being presented with facts, just highlights how deeply entrenched your hatred of the manager is. 

It’s pointless mate.

• Like 2

Forest signing Remo Freuler for £8m is fantastic business unless I'm missing something? Can't believe it.

Could have plugged a gap of steady midfielder here and not broke the bank. He's an age Gerrard likes as well :)

Steve Cooper and George Syrianos would be two people I'd be very very interested in getting here if the wheels really come off.