Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

I love John McGinn but starting to think we should flog him to Utd who are desperate for a midfielder (still starting mcfred) and may not yet have cottoned on that he isn't that great.

Put the money towards a midfielder who passes the ball, which would be quite the novel idea for this team.

Someone like Ashley Westwood for instance who always used to keep the ball turning over in midfield...:flag:

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I love John McGinn but starting to think we should flog him to Utd who are desperate for a midfielder (still starting mcfred) and may not yet have cottoned on that he isn't that great.

Put the money towards a midfielder who passes the ball, which would be quite the novel idea for this team.

Someone like Ashley Westwood for instance who always used to keep the ball turning over in midfield...:flag:

They’re trying to sign Marko Arnautovic for £10m - he’s 33. If we’re trying to pull the wool over their eyes now’s the time to do it. On that valuation we should be getting Grealish money for McGinn.

26 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Silliness aside though. We have very little passing ability in our midfield. JJ wants to carry the ball, McGinn wants to lift long balls, kamara collects the ball on practically our own goal line most of the time.

It's no wonder the centre backs, full backs and keeper are determined to bypass our own midfield at every opportunity. 

A slightly less progressive buendia in midfield would be ideal. Someone who is constantly moving the ball to a teammate and moving himself to create space to receive the ball back. Jesting aside, Scott Parker himself used to be a great example of this, was always looking around BEFORE receiving the ball so he knew what the next pass was going to be. We simply don't have this in our starting 11. I believe Sanson is probably the closest thing we have to a passing midfielder

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Conventional wisdom I keep hearing this week goes something like this: “We can’t just keep buying players. We need to learn to work with the lot we’ve got.”

I truly do not get this perspective, even if  I respect many of the people who voice it … so I’m a bit conflicted. 

But our net spend is comparatively low, unless I’m missing something? 

Somewhat yes, The squad is large so in turn is the wage bill which surely is higher than ever since promotion. We have El Ghazi, Hause, Guilbert, Sanson, Davis that we need to move on to make space in terms of 25 player registration, never mind reducing the wage bill.

The sexy answer is to keep spending and buying new players, but the sensible prudent answer is to actually use a formation tat makes the best of what we have, and actually coach them to perform at their best in that structure, as well as coach and improve the players. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Conventional wisdom I keep hearing this week goes something like this: “We can’t just keep buying players. We need to learn to work with the lot we’ve got.”

I truly do not get this perspective, even if  I respect many of the people who voice it … so I’m a bit conflicted. 

But our net spend is comparatively low, unless I’m missing something? 

Wages are huge though, wages are what kill football teams not transfer fees

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Silliness aside though. We have very little passing ability in our midfield. JJ wants to carry the ball, McGinn wants to lift long balls, kamara collects the ball on practically our own goal line most of the time.

It's no wonder the centre backs, full backs and keeper are determined to bypass our own midfield at every opportunity. 

A slightly less progressive buendia in midfield would be ideal. Someone who is constantly moving the ball to a teammate and moving himself to create space to receive the ball back. Jesting aside, Scott Parker himself used to be a great example of this, was always looking around BEFORE receiving the ball so he knew what the next pass was going to be. We simply don't have this in our starting 11. I believe Sanson is probably the closest thing we have to a passing midfielder

Luiz is our best passing midfielder and should be next to Kamara or Sanson.

Dump McGinn on the bench and move Ramsey further forward or bench him for a 3rd attacking midfielder

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dump McGinn on the bench and move Ramsey further forward or bench him for a 3rd attacking midfielder

McGinn is the captain though.

He's not going to dump him 1 game after giving him the captaincy surely.

• Like 1

Don't mind if Gerrard is allowed to sign make more signings or not - he at least seems useful in attracting players we wouldn't otherwise have convinced to come here. Of course any new manager will want to put their own stamp on things, but quality (if we can buy any) is quality.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Well… Sangare is no longer an option…

Hey @paul514 , how about Koopmeiners (again)? 🤣 Anyone else?

I’d imagine Anguissa is perfectly happy where he is and wouldn’t want to take a step down to the likes of us… especially in our current state…

Struggling to identify many players (very limited knowledge) who could address the deficiencies in our midfield in terms of quality in possession, physicality and defensive prowess…

That shitshow was yet another example of how weak and lightweight we are and how shite we are in possession…

I’d prioritise changing this poor excuse of a manager but we do need to do more business to put ourselves in a stronger position… we are a bit of a mess… what are we even trying to do? Whatever it is, we’re failing miserably. Would be nice if we could keep the ball on the ground and keep hold of it…

Kouadio Kone is my pick.

Though at 22 it could put us in a serious chance of having a midfield of 3 of

Kamara 22

Kone 22

Ramsey 21

Iroegbunam 19 

So it's a risk, but Kone is a big, strong athletic midfielder. Can impose himself physically in midfield and is also technical enough for the league. Can carry the ball forwards too so he has an opportunity to work nicely with Kamara in a two with Boubacar being the one who sits

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Kouadio Kone is my pick.

Though at 22 it could put us in a serious chance of having a midfield of 3 of

Kamara 22

Kone 22

Ramsey 21

Iroegbunam 19 

So it's a risk, but Kone is a big, strong athletic midfielder. Can impose himself physically in midfield and is also technical enough for the league. Can carry the ball forwards too so he has an opportunity to work nicely with Kamara in a two with Boubacar being the one who sits

Fantastic player, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

That’s what should happen, but won’t. a switch to 4231 suits this squad best. But Gerrard is probably too stubborn. We can’t blame Beale for the formation, he had QPR in a 4231 on Saturday.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Fantastic player, that's for sure. 

Agreed but I like the look of Thuram at Nice, not sure he’d come here though as PSG we’re sniffing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

I'm always up for Koopmeiners :D

Depends what sort of midfielder you want, as you are mentioning defensive midfielders I guess you are interested in that?

I wouldn't rule out Sangare if we actually wanted him, his new deal likely has the same release clause in it as he wouldn't want to price himself out of a move for slightly more money from PSV.

Zubimendi maybe? Soumare?

Realistically I think our problem is tactical and coaching now we have Kamara in squad.

I would be playing Luis/Kamara in a pivot. I would still want another DM in the squad which this summer would have been two from Sangare/Koopmeiners/Kamara/Bissouma. The latter two signed for new clubs so one of the former two.

For what it is worth I think making McGinn captain was a stupid idea as I would have sold him for good money and got a better replacement this summer. Ruiz at Napoli is in his last year, Aouar is available on the cheap, hell even Maddison would have been worth a go if you wanted an 8/10 type as your furthest forward midfielder.

More defensively “inclined” but can do a hybrid role. Kamara needs help. JJ and McGinn (one of them must be dropped and we all know who won’t be, ever 🙄) are off on their jollies too often leaving him isolated as they used to do to Luiz. I like Luiz but he lacks physicality and some defensive discipline. We need someone who can help solidify midfield but also pass and retain the ball a lot better. We are too weak and lightweight.

The last thing we need is another player in the mould of JJ or McGinn. So a definite no to someone like Gallagher for me. We need to better in possession, not worse.

People keep suggesting the 4-2-3-1 or double pivot but we know this shite manager is never going to drop McGinn and that Ramsey will get plenty of involvement. We’re never going to shift McGinn so need to play him as the most advanced midfielder (play to his strengths) and let the other two do more of the defensive work and build up play. We also need them to be able to relieve pressure by keeping hold of it and not losing it cheaply as John and even JJ often do…

I’m a JJ fan though and would prefer him in the team over McGinn but, again, SG…

John looks so clumsy and slow these days, sad to see..

We desperately lacks physicality.

5 hours ago, picicata said:

What's the point in spending on a striker if we're not set up to create any chances for them?

Exactly, midfield is the priority and consistently getting the ball to the attackers to create and score. We have to keep the ball on the ground FFS and improve our short passing. Cut out the aimless crossing…

I am fed up of Watkins and Ings though… if we could upgrade then I’d be happy to move them on. Especially Ings, what a waste of money and wages… he’s clearly past it and is only going to further decline. A financial burden and hasn’t shown that he can play as a lone  CF.

It’s not going to happen though, I fear much won’t until we change the manager…

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

It’s not going to happen though, until we ditch this manager… McGinn is a nailed on starter and simply isn’t cut out for a leadership/captaincy role.

The only solution right now that SG may opt for is to play John as the most advanced (reduce defensive responsibility) with Luiz and Kamara behind him. Until/unless we sign a new player who could probably take Luiz’s place and add some physicality and defensive nous.

It’s the only way we could see the best of him and might bring his form/game up a few levels. I miss the old McGinn… marauding and nicking the ball in dangerous positions, we just don’t press from the front anymore like we did under DS. We don’t have the same aggression or tenacity which is quite disappointing and surprising…

He won’t play Sanson, regardless of his qualities. JJ will cover for McGinn.

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

No chance. There's a very good reason that the McGinn speculation has never resulted in a bid from anyone.

37 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

More defensively “inclined” but can do a hybrid role. Kamara needs help. JJ and McGinn (one of them must be dropped and we all know who won’t be, ever 🙄) are off on their jollies too often leaving him isolated as they used to do to Luiz. I like Luiz but he lacks physicality and some defensive discipline. We need someone who can help solidify midfield but also pass and retain the ball a lot better. We are too weak and lightweight.

The last thing we need is another player in the mould of JJ or McGinn. So a definite no to someone like Gallagher for me. We need to better in possession, not worse.

People keep suggesting the 4-2-3-1 or double pivot but we know this shite manager is never going to drop McGinn and that Ramsey will get plenty of involvement. We’re never going to shift McGinn so need to play him as the most advanced midfielder (play to his strengths) and let the other two do more of the defensive work and build up play. We also need them to be able to relieve pressure by keeping hold of it and not losing it cheaply as John and even JJ often do…

I’m a JJ fan though and would prefer him in the team over McGinn but, again, SG…

John looks so clumsy and slow these days, sad to see..

We desperately lacks physicality.

Depends how physical you want to get from the people I listed.

soumare and sangare are the biggest for sure. Sangare can pass, I’m less sure on soumare as a hybrid. They are about 6’3 or 4 

Next you have Koopmeiners who is just over 6’ I’d say he can definitely do it all.

Zumabendi looks just under 6’ so I wouldn’t rule him out but doesn’t quite meet your requirements.

if I were dumping McGinn I would want to hear Fabian Ruiz say no to a transfer for us before considering anyone else but there is a metric ton of players worth considering for the further forward role.