Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Does anyone have a good understanding of the Loans rules? A mate told me that a player who is in the last 12 months of their contract cannot be sent out on loan. Is this true? If so, does that mean that we can't loan ElGhazi and either have to pay him off or keep him on our payroll next year unless someone comes in with a bid. This would no doubt encourage encourage derisory offers on the last day of the window which we will probably have to accept to get him off the payroll

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Does anyone have a good understanding of the Loans rules? A mate told me that a player who is in the last 12 months of their contract cannot be sent out on loan. Is this true? If so, does that mean that we can't loan ElGhazi and either have to pay him off or keep him on our payroll next year unless someone comes in with a bid. This would no doubt encourage encourage derisory offers on the last day of the window which we will probably have to accept to get him off the payroll

did we not send Hourihane on loan in his final year?

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

did we not send Hourihane on loan in his final year?

I believe new loan rules came in place on July 1st this year. I am googling it to try and find out but can't find the answer. The person who told be is fairly credible with his knowledge on these things but it sounds barmy to me

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d say we’re 7th off the pitch. We really need to become the best of the rest and then have a good crack at breaking the so called top 6.

It used to be the top 4 and then it went to top 6, maybe we will make it the top 7

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

It used to be the top 4 and then it went to top 6, maybe we will make it the top 7

Isn't that spot reserved for Saudi Arabia?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

I find it telling when people say to keep "politics" out of things, and proceed to ascribe full political force to any worldview or perspective that they don't like. 

Two things: 1) Antiracism and Antihomophobia are not political movements or positions. They're about participating constructively in a diverse society and not being a **** dickhead to your fellow human beings. 2) Let's be really generous for a minute and pretend these movements are inherently political in nature. You can't "keep them out of sport", because lo and behold, guess what? Loads of minorities play sport - players of every racial and ethnic background; people who are gay, bisexual, etc.

It's perspectives like yours that ensure gay players continue to struggle with their identities and live in the closet rather than being free and open, because they're told their existence is somehow political, and to "keep it out of sport", which is akin to saying "no gays allowed".

Shame on you, tbh.

I’m sorry but I don’t think that’s really fair. The concept of keeping politics and religion out of sport has some merits. If people decide to politicise certain subjects or indeed link them to religious beliefs, then that’s an entirely different matter. 

I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial, if I say more wars have been started by both subjects than any other reason. So how these things are used for some people’s purposes is reason enough to keep them out of most discussions. Both can be a force for occasionally good but more often bad. That’s people for you. 

Not wanting to discuss politics or religion within the context of football, I believe to be quite understandable. That doesn’t mean that anyone taking this attitude isn’t engaged in any other worldly issues. It certainly shouldn’t be seen as an excuse for anyone else to deem them to be homophobic or racist. They just don’t want to talk about politics or religion or at least not in a certain context, in this case football. 

Of course politics and to some extent religion invade most aspects of life, as is clearly demonstrated by the route this conversation has taken. But surely people have as much right not to discuss  those subjects as any other without being labelled as complicit in any of the crimes that are frequently committed in the name of either. 

For many people football is an escape from the everyday problems and drudgery of life. Including people of every race and sexual orientation around the world. I get the argument against putting one’s head in the sand. “Evil prevails when good men do nothing”, I believe was once said by someone much more qualified than me. However the right to keep out of the argument, is surely as valid as is the right to speak out. It’s a personal choice. And no, nobody has the right to chose to be homophobic or racist. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The concept of keeping politics and religion out of sport has some merits.

Sports is a multi billion dollar industry with players in all different sports earning crazy money and it has global media and advertisement leverage. The idea that politics can be kept out of sport is a little naive and utopian in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TomC said:

Except that some would argue that politicizing everything is the road to totalitarianism (whether of the right or left). I won't rehash the argument here because it doesn't belong here. Count me among the escapists. Football is two hours a week to get away from the problems that affect the other 166 hours of my week.

If a player's decision to join Villa might be affected by his religion, it's in bounds to mention it. If a club's decision whether to sign a player is affected by his politics, that's in bounds too. To express your opinion about a player's religion or politics is a discussion about religion or politics, not football. It doesn't belong here.

Some other boards/forums have politics & religion sections for these sorts of discussions. Maybe we need one here so those conversations can be moved.

I believe that’s what the “off topic” section is for.

• Like 2