Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

I think that Otavio tweet is a rehash isn't it? 

Not sure there's new news. Although if that story is correct and the buyout is £35m, can't see us not paying it if we're willing to go to £25m. What's a square £10m among friends?

4 minutes ago, Wes said:

Born in Brazil, played for their youth national sides, then switched to Portugal in the full national team.

Not for nothing, but Otavio is pretty widely despised by every non-Porto fan in Portugal (when playing for the club). Dives, winds people up, always tries to get the refs attention. Everything and everything.

However, those same non-Porto fans in Portugal love him when he plays for the national side. He is exceptional at applying pressure on the ball and has a tireless work-rate. He would absolutely be a #8 in our system, but could play one of the #10s if needed.

More suited to PL midfield than Buendia would you say? They appear to be exactly the same height and weight.

I thought he'd played mostly wide right this season?

11 minutes ago, Wes said:

Born in Brazil, played for their youth national sides, then switched to Portugal in the full national team.

Not for nothing, but Otavio is pretty widely despised by every non-Porto fan in Portugal (when playing for the club). Dives, winds people up, always tries to get the refs attention. Everything and everything.

However, those same non-Porto fans in Portugal love him when he plays for the national side. He is exceptional at applying pressure on the ball and has a tireless work-rate. He would absolutely be a #8 in our system, but could play one of the #10s if needed.

Sounds like a Brazilian Robbie Savage from the description :P 

He only has 7 Portuguese caps, cant imagine he is such a fan favourite yet and most of them against average nations if dont include Spain

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I always read this on here, but fans of most other PL (and championship) clubs would tell you we're one of the 'worst' for it.

Yep Mings, McGinn, Cash and Emi are some of the most hated or dirtiest players in the league according to some fans, Emi is probably the worst time waster about

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wes said:

Grealish like for like then :D 

7 minutes ago, Wes said:

If he is more of an 8 / 10 - that would seem an odd target as in my mind that is the role that JJ will ultimately have in a midfield 3 (i.e. the player to try and break forward and join the attack).  Although the "exceptional at applying pressure" and "tireless work-rate" stand out as definite matches for what we need.  He also looks like he has a great touch, is good at making space for himself when under pressure and has an eye for a pass.  So I remain slightly confused as  I thought we would be looking for more of an 8 /6 - so someone who could drop back and cover Kamara at times. 

However, it would certainly be interesting to see how he would fit in with Kamara and JJ.  Maybe the assumption is that JJ and Otavio have the energy and pressing ability to support defensively - but then they bring different skills when it comes to retaining and progressing the ball.  Whether that applies with McGinn in the team is another matter as although McGinn's pressing in the opposition half is pretty good, he is more of a liability around our own area.

I also really quite like the idea that he is always winding people up and getting in the ref's ear a bit - we kind of need a little bit of that.

Oh and from the clips - it looks like many of his passes are quite Couts / Emi2 - esque.  This would probably add further weight to the idea that we need a striker with good feet, pace to break past defenders, good composure in 1 on 1s and someone who is spending 90% of their time within the lines marking the edge of the penalty box rather than drifting wide.  Maybe pre-injury Ings?  If this rumour / interest does ring true then I think we must be looking at another striker as well.    

12 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I always read this on here, but fans of most other PL (and championship) clubs would tell you we're one of the 'worst' for it.

I think probably true when Grealish was here (at least the diving part).  McGinn has an annoying habit of falling to the ground under pressure but usually too deep to cause any real danger.  Unfortunately, I think a lot of the Mings thing has to do with what he does off the pitch (which I fully admire him for) as much as anything on it.  But we are nowhere near many clubs in terms of bitching to the ref and / or winding other players up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Wasn’t Octavio the ostrich from Pipkins?

Maybe we should put in cheeky bids for Hartley the Hare and Topov the Monkey too.

(Note this is unlikely to mean anything to anyone non-British and younger than 50!)

I'm only 5 weeks younger than 50 and I have no idea what you are talking about!  Who? What?

1 minute ago, allani said:

I think probably true when Grealish was here (at least the diving part).  McGinn has an annoying habit of falling to the ground under pressure but usually too deep to cause any real danger.  Unfortunately, I think a lot of the Mings thing has to do with what he does off the pitch (which I fully admire him for) as much as anything on it.  But we are nowhere near many clubs in terms of bitching to the ref and / or winding other players up.

Which teams do it the most is obviously subjective, it's a fact that this is a widely held perception of us and to be honest I don't think it's an unreasonable view.

We probably don't think we're so bad relatively because we're nowhere near the levels of Man City/Liverpool who do it and get given what seems like every single decision against us.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Which teams do it the most is obviously subjective, it's a fact that this is a widely held perception of us and to be honest I don't think it's an unreasonable view.

We probably don't think we're so bad relatively because we're nowhere near the levels of Man City/Liverpool who do it and get given what seems like every single decision against us.

If we do do it we must be really bad at it (post Grealish) because we seem to get a lot more bad decisions go against us than for us (other than goal-line clearances) - although again I am sure that EVERY fan would say that exact same thing about their club.

• Like 1