Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

59 minutes ago, allani said:

But to finish in the top 6 would take a miracle in terms of our current squad.  We are two injuries away from a back four with Mings and Chambers at the centre and the "core" midfield that has failed more often than it has succeeded over the last 2 or 3 seasons.  If Ollie or Ings get injured then we have a huge question mark over where our goals are coming from.

Its actually one since Konsa is out injured. Chambers/Mings did OK last season together

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We need 3 players to really compete next season. We have 2 months to get them. I'm not even stressing at all. We got this in the bag.

Yep. I think people just need to adjust to the fact we are one of the most professional clubs when it comes to negotiating transfers.

Just now, Keyblade said:

We need 3 players to really compete next season. We have 2 months to get them. I'm not even stressing at all. We got this in the bag.

I think we need 1 personally, a shit hot CM, with that it should be enough to see us pushing upwards 

LB cover would be nice but I expect worst case we resign young on a free on the last days of the window, even if we don't do that depending on what injury Digne was to suffer we might get away with it 

After that it depends on who we sell but don't think there's any position we have to buy in order to improve

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

We will probably be signing at least another three first team players, just because the media isn't giving a running commentrary on everything that's going on doesn't mean that there's nothing happening. We probably, haven't even spent the majority of our budget d'été yet.

Exactly, its all gonna be behind the scenes deals for the most part until fabrizio tweets  a day before…

To be fair I'd probably say we could spend £100 million this window and recoupe 25 mill between Davis,Trez,AEG,Traore,Sanson

Spent circa £46 million so far , so a new CM,LB,ST with the remaining would be good.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think we need 1 personally, a shit hot CM, with that it should be enough to see us pushing upwards 

LB cover would be nice but I expect worst case we resign young on a free on the last days of the window, even if we don't do that depending on what injury Digne was to suffer we might get away with it 

After that it depends on who we sell but don't think there's any position we have to buy in order to improve

The LB thing is touch and go but if we want to mount a serious cup challenge we need a proper one. Keeping Targett would have been ideal but alas.

I also think we probably need one more striker and that Archer is probably still a year away from regularly starting for us and displacing one of Watkins/Ings.

But I agree, marquee CM is a must. Everything else would be nice to haves.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

"absolutely dog shit",

"Were meant to be chasing top six and were still having to rely on Ramsey",

"toilet",

"crap",

"Ramsey is always dogshit",

" if we are serious about progressing then he should be nowhere near the team this season. Whenever he starts he is poor",

"Cannot for the life of me understand what Ramsey offers".

Posted after the opening game last season. 

The point is, players can improve, and thats what I think a number of team will do this coming season. 

strange thing is we won the game for the half he played :D

a lot of the posters have moved onto the Carney thread

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The LB thing is touch and go but if we want to mount a serious cup challenge we need a proper one. Keeping Targett would have been ideal but alas.

I also think we probably need one more striker and that Archer is probably still a year away from regularly starting for us and displacing one of Watkins/Ings.

But I agree, marquee CM is a must. Everything else would be nice to haves.

I think a midfielder that replaces McGinn and we are done for the starting line up for next season. We need a passing midfielder but not sure if we have the ability to attract a top name or where we are looking

I think Young will come back as the left back option to cover Digne

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its actually one since Konsa is out injured. Chambers/Mings did OK last season together

You missed the AND...

We are two injuries away from a back four with Mings and Chambers at the centre AND the "core" midfield that has failed more often than it has succeeded over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I am less stressed about Chambers slotting into the back 4 but midfield is still a big issue.  It was a massive issue last December, it was a huge issue in February and now it is just a big issue.  One more (good) signing and it could become a real area of strength because for all their faults - the likes of McGinn and Luiz coming on as subs would (or at least should!) mean that we are seriously sorted in the middle of the pitch!

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’ve never understood this phrase… why do we have to be in a hurry to get in to Europe? 

almost all the European spots are gatekept by the “big 6” so the only way is to play a long game to get in… not just going all or bust in one summer… we need to get great players before they’re great. Develop them all to come in their peak at around the same time. Luckily we have some signs we are doing this. 

Try telling a player we’ve got big things coming soon when city or Liverpool or a top European club come after them. We couldn’t convince grealish to stay last season that tells you all you need to know. Whilst clubs are playing the long game the top 6 get stronger, City took our best player last season and have taken one of Leeds now, Chelsea and arsenal are fighting over Raphinha, Brighton have lost Bissouma to spurs and will lose cucurella to city now too, that’s two key players gone and they’ll be no closer to the top 6 after. Brighton are a great example of playing the long game, can I see them in Europe any time soon? No chance. If your not up there already players aren’t willing to stay. Relying on youth potential is more of a risk than buying ready made players right now, luckily we have a good mix. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

As has often been said, playing an unsuitable role. I believe that, if the team is set up properly/geared up to suit SJM i.e. we have a strong DCM, we will see a different, and much more consistently good, SJM.

Whilst I agree that I think Kamara and ANO midfielder will give McGinn more freedom to do the things that he is good at (and that he will therefore be better next season) - he is not the player we (or any other PL team) should be gearing our team around.  He's not good enough for that.  As I see I think we will see an improved McGinn next season because he'll be playing in a role that suits him better - but I would expect that JJ will have overtaken him as the third man in the middle for us by the end of the season (if not before).

13 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Try telling a player we’ve got big things coming soon when city or Liverpool or a top European club come after them. We couldn’t convince grealish to stay last season that tells you all you need to know. Whilst clubs are playing the long game the top 6 get stronger, City took our best player last season and have taken one of Leeds now, Chelsea and arsenal are fighting over Raphinha, Brighton have lost Bissouma to spurs and will lose cucurella to city now too, that’s two key players gone and they’ll be no closer to the top 6 after. Brighton are a great example of playing the long game, can I see them in Europe any time soon? No chance. If your not up there already players aren’t willing to stay. Relying on youth potential is more of a risk than buying ready made players right now, luckily we have a good mix. 

You need to tell him about this team called Leicester city 😂

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

The point is, players can improve, and thats what I think a number of team will do this coming season. 

I have said for a long time now that if we get a midfield capable of controlling the middle of the pitch then the likes of Digne, Cash, Couts and Emi2 should thrive.  They should get more: time on the ball, space, options to look for, quality passes incoming.  However, it is a big risk hoping that a new centre back and a young kid who has not played in the PL before will get us the control that will allow other players to improve.  I don't think we can rely on anyone having the kind of transformation that JJ had last season.  If I was Gerrard I certainly wouldn't be happy risking my career on it happening.  I think that one more signing will make a big difference - but still think we are two signings off being well and truly in the European mix. 

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Spurs basically are in the position they’re in because they spent well and developed good young players. 

poch era brought through Kane, Alli, Dyer,  Son, Ericsson.. all bought cheap and young. Granted they have money and ways to retain their good players… but they built their current success on a shoestring. Well until they sacked Pochettino 

As of keeping players.. yes it’s hard… but that’s part of the bigger game. If “the project” is good enough they will stay. 

but going all in or bust is a strategy that’s only failed clubs in our situation 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We’ll just have to see.

There’s plenty of players we could be on the fence with, not just Ollie. Plenty of them have to improve and show their quality, we haven’t seen anywhere near the best of our most recent signings.

Expect to see more from Ings too… if one of them is “off their game” hopefully the other one will step in and perform.

My current mood 😆 or view is that most of our players are going to be much better this season. We can’t be any worse and hopefully the season won’t be anywhere near as disruptive as the last couple. We can’t be finishing in the lower half of the table unless we have some sort of disaster, that won’t be acceptable now…

We’ve spent so much money and continue to do so (regardless of net spending), it’s time to have something to show for it. We can’t carry on like that unless we are progressing and improving  (success).

I’m almost taking this as SG’s first season with us and with a side he will be happy with. It’s the first full one anyway and first full preseason. There’s still plenty of time to make changes to the squad, both incomings and outgoings, so none of us really know how we will shape up for the start of the season.

If the players don’t perform now, as well as the manager, then they will be moved on. But I believe they all have more to show and should get that time and opportunity.

I’d rather be positive/optimistic and allow everyone a “clean slate”.

Just makes no sense to be pessimistic/negative to me. The club is trying to improve on and off the field and we are so lucky to have these owners.

Sounds fair enough! I just think we should go and get a quality striker, I think the club are after another striker.  It’s not about about pessimism it’s about thinking we need a better striker in terms of fit for Gerrard’s system and better quality.  That doesn’t mean Ollie has to go either.

A lot of these players haven’t performed for 18 months under two managers, it got Smith the sack and produced a poor end of season under Gerrard.  Yep, you are more than welcome to give them more time or “clean slate” and I will be as well but if a quality striker option becomes available now then I’d be signing them up anyway.  

I don’t care about individual players anymore after recent years, I care about what the team achieves.  We know players will force a leave if a better opportunity comes in, so if a better player comes available then we should go for it.  Ollie, like the rest of the players, need to deliver and quickly otherwise they will be replaced if they don’t get replaced this summer.  The club aren’t messing around anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

You need to tell him about this team called Leicester city 😂

And his agent will say how many times has the Leicester City story happened in the top 4 or 5 European leagues in the last 20 years.  Basically it is a 1 in a 100 shot.