Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

49 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Time will tell and I have my doubts. But his mere presence is improving the outlook of the club, so he gets some leeway from me. But the owners will demand better results so the pressure will there in spades.

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

5 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Come on Lange. do something

We had a great start to the window, there was always going to be a lull. I don’t think it will be the end of our business, both in and out, try to be patient 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

But we need options, especially with 5 subs now allowed, rotation and cover and four 10's/wide players - Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Johnson/Madueke would work? I'm hoping Bertie is off ... Love him when he's on but the other 66% of the times he brings little and is not good enough for an aspiring top 8 team.

I agree we need options but you missed Chuck off the list and Ings can play in the 10 role and arguably JJ, so even if you exclude Traore we still have options and while the squad is 25, generally most managers stick with a core of ~18 players for most of the minutes so Johnson might get very very little time compared to what he wants given we’ll only likely have just over 40 games.

There is a whole load of players away with their country at the moment, so I wouldn't expect another top class signing for a few weeks.  I am sure that the speculation will start to build this week and next but once players have had a break, we will bring in another couple.  It's quite exciting waking up to the gossip columns, even though they usually chat shit. 

55 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We had a great start to the window, there was always going to be a lull. I don’t think it will be the end of our business, both in and out, try to be patient 

I will try and be patience then

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Probably means nothing but will point out that Gabriel Jesus has gone from 40/1 to 25/1 to join us 👀

I've heard he wants to play with Wesley

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is this you doing your reverse psychology " I know, but do YOU know " #agentvlv thing 🤔

Spill it! Lol

Nah ive just noticed a few clickbait articles seem to be linking him to us.  I don’t know anything I’m afraid although we probably don’t need any more wide players.  He is a very good player though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

If we signed oxlade chamberlain, this would have me questioning the signings and worrying that aloT of our scouting knowledge comes from Liverpool. 

We are not. It's lazy media BS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david-avfc said:

I completely believe we need strength in depth, but it should be remembered that the league position is going to be driven by the players who play the most minutes, not the ones watching on from the stands, and therefore that’s where the priority should always be.

An expensive back up left back is a “nice to have”, not essential and I can’t see it having a material impact on our league position in most cases, as there is no tactical gain in switching that position and fatigue is unlikely to be an issue. The only exception is if there is an unexpected serious injury which is why you need someone competent but you can’t over commit to that one possibility.

£18-20m might not sound like much to some fans, but some basic maths will tell you only 5 players in that bracket and you’re up to £100m, a hell of a lot of money for players who probably aren’t going to make a particularly tangible difference to our final league position

Like you said there are injuries, players carrying niggles where they play on due to a lack of suitable replacement.

Fatigue is a real thing in a position where the player is constantly on the move.

Competition keeps performance levels high.

Players lose form.

The rotation option may have slightly different quality that suit playing against particular opponents.

The rotation option may turn into a better player than the first team option.

these are all suitable reasons to have a high quality rotation option for a full back.