Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Newcastle aren’t paying anyone £400k either though. Hence why they’ve been so desperate in the market. 

Exactly. They'll be paying the sam sort of wages we will. 

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dont they have a more relaxed FFP threshold because of Ashley cheapness

Still blows their wage structure though doesn't it

And its a bad place for them to start, £400k a week this summer sets one hell of a benchmark for all the big names they'll supposedly be buying every window moving forward 

20 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Newcastle aren’t paying anyone £400k either though. Hence why they’ve been so desperate in the market. 

There are ways around this, insert clauses etc. 

Marseille CB Duje Caleta-Car looks to have been the guy we went to show off to, not Kamara.

It makes sense in fairness, Kamara will be going to a Champions League side or Newcastle on £300k a week.

I think West Ham tried fairly hard for Caleta-Car but he wasn't interested.

He uses the ball better than Konsa, but isn't better overall IMO. Hopefully this would facilitate a move to 3421 or 3412. Spending over £30m on a player not much better than one here wouldn't be a good start.

Edited by Tomaszk

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Marseille CB looks to have been the guy we went to show off to Caleta-Car, not Kamara.

It makes sense in fairness, Kamara will be going to a Champions League side or Newcastle on £300k a week.

I think West Ham tried fairly hard for Caleta-Car but he wasn't interested.

He uses the ball better than Konsa, but isn't better overall IMO. Hopefully this would facilitate a move to 3421 or 3412. Spending over £30m on a player not much better than one here wouldn't be a good start.

They only wanted 15 million in January apparently from West Ham who wanted a loan. I have never been that impressed with him when watching him for Croatia if honest 

21 hours ago, TRO said:

I must be honest.....I know in my own mind what I think we need, but as far as recruitment is concerned, I have no idea.

I am clear in my own mind, what I am, ( don't be tempted) I am a supporter, I go to every home game....but I am not a scout, and do no possess their skill set.

Am I confident of taking a player out of one team and putting it ours....No...and for the fee's involved, I would have sleepless nights thinking about it.

£50 mill.....I would faint at the responsibility and implications of it going wrong.

So, I will spend little time speculating, as I simply don't know enough about the players, we require , particularly the continental ones.

I believe I know WHAT we need, but not WHO we need...I'll leave that to the club.

Good post.

However don't assume everyone at the club (or any club) who can push for these transfers has much of a clue though.

Ings 30m

Digne £27m to loan out Targett

Big Wes £20m

Traore £20m

Ross McCormack £20m

Scott Hogan £12m

It's really easy to not buy bad players. Or massively overpay for players who have about a 20% chance of success.

If we don't do that this summer I'll be happy.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They only wanted 15 million in January apparently from West Ham who wanted a loan. I have never been that impressed with him when watching him for Croatia if honest 

1 minute ago, sne said:

His contract expires in 2023, shouldn't be too expensive. Not sure he's someone I'd target unless the price is right.

Ah ok, I'm more interested if it's around £15m.

Always reminded me of James Tarkowski a bit. I really really rate Tarkowski.

If we were to bring Caleta-Car in and move Konsa on I'd be very upset. Self-sabotage.

This feels a more realistic target than Kamara if I'm honest. I don't know much about him other than 'OK' WhoScored match ratings.

FBRef has him as a fantastic passer for a CB but the actual defensive metrics seem very poor. The WhoScored ratings though are OK, and not really sure how they'd be possible if his defensive stats were as poor as FBRef say. 

Anybody seen him?

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Ah ok, I'm more interested if it's around £15m.

Always reminded me of James Tarkowski a bit. I really really rate Tarkowski.

If we were to bring Caleta-Car in and move Konsa on I'd be very upset. Self-sabotage.

Tarkowski is out of contract in the summer. But I guess he'll go Newcastle or Wet Spam.

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Tarkowski is out of contract in the summer. But I guess he'll go Newcastle or Wet Spam.

Nailed on for Newcastle IMO.

Huge retirement contract and captain for them.

He's just what they need, so very fortunate for them for someone like that to pop up on a free.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Nailed on for Newcastle IMO.

Huge retirement contract and captain for them.

He's just what they need, so very fortunate for them for someone like that to pop up on a free.

Yeah seems likely.

Newcastle might be a good fit as he might have struggled to adapt to a tactic that's less defensive and deep than the Burnley one.Hard to say how he would do for a team that pushes up or expects more from the CB's than just defend.

As much as I think it is important sorting the DM position, I think a goal scorer is just as badly needed. 

We need someone up top who can bang in 15-20 goals. Even if we are losing games, we need a player who will keep getting on the scoresheet. Similar to Pukki at Norwich, but the fact is we have better players than them, so in theory better chance creation, a player of that ilk would score for fun here. 

I think we missed a trick not signing Tammy up. I'd happily have forgone us signing Ings and Bailey and spending that money to sign him last summer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think we missed a trick not signing Tammy up. I'd happily have forgone us signing Ings and Bailey and spending that money to sign him last summer. 

Yeah in hindsight it would have been nice.

But back then we were playing a 4-3-3 under Smith. We needed a winger and we already had Watkins who was coming off a good season. Can see why we didn't go for Tammy, if that was ever a realistic option.

Never wanted Ings but that's a separate issue.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

As much as I think it is important sorting the DM position, I think a goal scorer is just as badly needed. 

We need someone up top who can bang in 15-20 goals. Even if we are losing games, we need a player who will keep getting on the scoresheet. Similar to Pukki at Norwich, but the fact is we have better players than them, so in theory better chance creation, a player of that ilk would score for fun here. 

I'm not sure we will address it this window but I agree. A striker is vital for us. 

Neither one at the moment looks a major threat. Neither of them hold the ball up well or create chances for themselves. 

It's a major weakness when building attacks. 

• Like 2