65m for a keeper.

Most expensive keepers ever (and some others):

Kepa - 75m

Allison - 65m

Courtois - 35m

Ederson - 35m

Buffon - 33m

Mendy - 22m

main thing is, ofc i wouldnt want to lose Martinez ideally, but if you could get 65m for him, although you may or may not be able to replace him with a better keeper, you should at least be able to buy a very good one for 20-30m, and have 35m in the bank to spend elsewhere.

Im not advocating selling Martinez, but 65m?, thats a lot lot...of money for a keeper.

Fair play, would be loathe to lose Martinez though.

Captain Material and a huge character for me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Got to say I’d love Simeone to come to Villa with some of them Atleti players. We’d be such orrible bastards to play against. 

His personality definitely imprints on his players, bloody hell they are fierce. Lol

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Got to say I’d love Simeone to come to Villa with some of them Atleti players. We’d be such orrible bastards to play against. 

Is he a British warrior like Stevie G or did he win the SPL at the 3rd time of asking or does he play a bizarre tactic that is neither attacking or defensive 

If not then Simeone is not welcome 😛

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Here’s a mad question. If somebody offered £65m for Martinez would you sell? 

I would consider it.

I like him as a keeper, I don’t think we would buy better but in theory we could improve performance of the squad with player trades.

Keepers are weird, if it were any other position I would just say yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

65m for a keeper.

Most expensive keepers ever (and some others):

Kepa - 75m

Allison - 65m

Courtois - 35m

Ederson - 35m

Buffon - 33m

Mendy - 22m

main thing is, ofc i wouldnt want to lose Martinez ideally, but if you could get 65m for him, although you may or may not be able to replace him with a better keeper, you should at least be able to buy a very good one for 20-30m, and have 35m in the bank to spend elsewhere.

Im not advocating selling Martinez, but 65m?, thats a lot lot...of money for a keeper.

Yeah, this really puts it into perspective.  He is criminally underrated, but is starting to get noticed by other clubs because of his Argentina performances, and if we could sell him for a world record fee, or close to it, it would be hard to pass on.  TBH, I'm not sure we'd spend it wisely to replace him and further strengthen the squad.  All of our purchases this season have been underwhelming for the amount of money paid for each and how many goalkeepers did we go through under NSWE before we found a good one?  Nyland, Kalinic, Heaton, Reyna....  We were buying a keeper every window before Emi...  Gerrard also doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is he a British warrior like Stevie G or did he win the SPL at the 3rd time of asking or does he play a bizarre tactic that is neither attacking or defensive 

If not then Simeone is not welcome 😛

I still think the right guy that was out of work would have been Favre 

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

could we though? id prefer to keep the known entity that we have, a bird in the hand and all that

and i've seen nothing to say we don't have £35m to spend elsewhere anyway, have we even spent the grealish money yet? grealish is the example as to why we shouldnt do it, we are not better with bailey, bunedia and ings

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

I still think the right guy that was out of work would have been Favre 

I really wanted him as well. Most of our managers of the last ten years have been british and most never worked out. Only two i can think of that we had were garde and di matteo

5 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

So based on reports this new 'spine' Gerrard is after will be Ginter, Bissouma, and a Suarez.

I wouldn't go by 'reports' on who we are going to sign.  The Ings and Chambers transfers showed us that we keep our business quiet until the deal is almost done, which is even more crucial now with Newcastle likely in the same market as us.  I think we'll see a couple of signings not even mentioned in the media.  

• Thanks 1

Just looking through BBC gossip and interesting some of the players I've mentioned in past as being interesting targets now being in 50-60m bracket.

Mikel Merino- Didn't work out for him at Newcastle but he's been a very good DM for Real Sociedad. Talk Man. City want him, has release clause of 45m.

Lucas Paqueta- I said we should've looked at him when he was struggling to get in AC Milan team. Lyon took him on loan instead and then signed him permanently for 20m, we signed Barkley instead.....Arsenal and Newcastle linked for 58m.

Lucas Ocampos- Remember watching him play for Monaco around 2015 and he looked an interesting prospect. Then joined Marseille, did well and now at Sevilla. West Ham and Wolves looking, 70m euros release clause.

That's the problem sometimes with letting players develop and become more proven, price usually trebles especially if there's serious premier league interest.

14 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Firmino would still be an excellent buy I feel. 

Why would he join us? Gerrard had left Liverpool when he signed in August 2015 so there's no personal connection like with Coutinho.

Origi if he's still there is more realistic for us but can't say I'd be that excited about him.

Erm, apparently also wanted by Man U and Real Madrid. Birmingham awaits, obviously.

South American knowledge Villans?:

Enzo Fernandez has been linked with a move to Aston Villa. The River Plate midfielder currently has a £17 million release clause that will rise to £21m, according to TYC Sports emerging out of Argentina.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-aston-villa-23688299

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN