Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

25 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Now that Unai has spoken how about we stop speculating and start getting behind him. Unai has improved other players and maybe he has done likewise with Olsen!

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Have a bad feeling Emery is going to regret this.

Seemingly not!!

Edited by briny_ear

The reality is that we can't just sign anybody, and Emery has to prioritize certain positions in the team.

He obviously believes signing a back-up keeper isn't a pressing concern this summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Seemingly not!!

If opinions on a football forum contributes to him being poor then he has bigger witchcraft problems to worry about 🧙‍♀️ 

Unless we're bringing in a keeper to challenge Emi for the #1 spot (which would take a huge investment), there is always going to be a drop off in quality.

The cost of bringing a new reserve keeper in wouldn't be massive though, so I'm confident that the finances aren't stopping him bringing someone new in.

Unai obviously thinks that Olsen can improve and adapt to his playing style. Being honest, how many keepers that would come here to play second fiddle do we actually watch on a regular basis? If Nyland was still here and we were replacing him with Olsen, we'd be delighted, but we wouldn't know much about his regular game other than the odd game and his CV. Pick any viable name, and we'd know as much about their strengths and weaknesses as we did about Olsen when we signed him.

Emery knows Olsen, sees him every day, and it appears he believes he can do the job of a reserve when called upon. It's not an easy position to fill - Man City still have Scott Carson on their books.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

You think he’s a good enough back up keeper?

He's not very good but I think that's kind of what back up keepers are

Is he worse than arsenal's runarsson? Or assuming Henderson gets sold worse than Heaton at utd?

Its a tough position to fill, who and what level of keeper is coming in knowing its zero competition for who is number 1, you can play in cups even though we're not a huge cup winning team so you might play 10 games if martinez gets injured

I don't think we're getting that much better if I'm honest

As for the season being done if martinez gets injured, that's football unfortunately, it's an overreaction and fans will revert to the normal "lost already" nonsense dragging us in to the mud moaning and groaning at olsens every touch then complaining he's got no confidence, it'll never change

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Olsen haters stuck in the mud 😂

I honestly think that no-one hates him and will back him when called upon. 

Folks just stating the obvious that he's a massive downgrade and a liability 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's not very good but I think that's kind of what back up keepers are

I don’t think that’s true.  There is always a drop off I agree but many back ups are ok.  I personally think Olsen is incredibly poor, in that I’d rather play the kid instead and put Olsen 3rd.  I’m not looking for a world beater but we’ve had decent back ups like Steer before.

7 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I think that's the nature of a backup keeper, otherwise they would be challenging for the top spot somewhere.

From a distance, Olsen looks fine on paper and ticks a lot of boxes, but it's only seeing him upfront that we get to see the weaknesses in his game. The next guy that looks okay from a distance will also have his own weaknesses - we just haven't watched him regularly and can only see what's he's like on paper too.

Hopefully Unai and his team believe some of those weaknesses in Olsen's game can be improved upon. 

33 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Have a bad feeling Emery is going to regret this.

If Unai has faith in Olsen so do I. Unai is no mug and will know better than any of us exactly what he needs. Only time will tell so why not give him some time? 

32 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

The reality is that we can't just sign anybody, and Emery has to prioritize certain positions in the team.

He obviously believes signing a back-up keeper isn't a pressing concern this summer.

Agreed 100%

38 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Daft.

Our season is done if Martinez gets injured.

You can pretty much also rule out winning a trophy next season if Olsen plays cup matches.

Really odd decision. 

FFS...if there was ever an overreaction this is it nothing odd about having a keeper who's more than capable of standing in for Martinez when needed.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Unless we're bringing in a keeper to challenge Emi for the #1 spot (which would take a huge investment), there is always going to be a drop off in quality.

The cost of bringing a new reserve keeper in wouldn't be massive though, so I'm confident that the finances aren't stopping him bringing someone new in.

Unai obviously thinks that Olsen can improve and adapt to his playing style. Being honest, how many keepers that would come here to play second fiddle do we actually watch on a regular basis? If Nyland was still here and we were replacing him with Olsen, we'd be delighted, but we wouldn't know much about his regular game other than the odd game and his CV. Pick any viable name, and we'd know as much about their strengths and weaknesses as we did about Olsen when we signed him.

Emery knows Olsen, sees him every day, and it appears he believes he can do the job of a reserve when called upon. It's not an easy position to fill - Man City still have Scott Carson on their books.

Well said mate. Loads of clubs have worse back up keepers than Olsen imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Kingman said:

You should visit the match day threads when Olsen starts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Daft.

Our season is done if Martinez gets injured.

You can pretty much also rule out winning a trophy next season if Olsen plays cup matches.

Really odd decision. 

Olsen to win us the UECL on penalties redemption arc incoming. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Well said mate. Loads of clubs have worse back up keepers than Olsen imo

Well they will probably just be making up the numbers rather than challenging for anything 

Â