Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don’t want to pile on but the chest back from Young typifies Olsen as a keeper. He makes some good saves and some good catches. It’s weird.

It's because he can't move. The Nunez shot from 30 yards. Another keeper moves his feet and collects it but because he's as agile as a break and can't move his legs he has to finger tip it.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Found touch with every kick.  Numerous occasions he should have collected and the only goalkeeper in history when one on one thinks it preferable to stay on your line and not close an angle. Better finishing and it would have been 7 and Liverpool were average.

He's an abomination against goalkeeping.

Keeping it levelheaded and unhysterical as usual.

He’s an average keeper who is okay as a mid table backup, and wasn’t the reason we lost today. We can upgrade in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Slow to come out definitely, and that was to blame for some of the chances Nunez *should* have scored. But the ones that actually went in I don’t think were his fault particularly.

I think the third goal Martinez would have caught the ball across but the other goals no chance any keeper.

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not at fault for any of the goals. People being ridiculous as usual

Agreed not at fault, but I did have mates (non Villa fans) texting me during the game commenting that he just radiates uncertainty and the entire defence looks panicked as a result. That’s my general complaint rather than any of the goals. But about what I’d expect from the sub keeper of a bottom half PL team.

• Like 1

To be fair to him, he's come in for 3 games, two against Liverpool and one against man city. Not exactly the greatest set of games to introduce him.

He wasn't terrible today. Nunez should have scored 3 or 4, and that says more about our defence than it does our backup keeper.

I'd like better, but our starting CBs are a bigger problem than the sub keeper that rarely plays

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s no accident that the defenders look more confident when they have Emi Martinez behind them. 

Of course, that’s why he’s our first choice keeper and a World Cup and Copa America winner. How many sides in the world have a backup keeper of similar quality to their number 1?

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Dreadful keeper. From distribution to command of his area, he's shit. At least be able to command the space around you ffs. People saying we didn't lose because of him. He was very much part of the problem. 

He wasn’t great, but collectively we defended poorly on the transition, and I’m not sure Emi would have fixed that. If we’re going to play a high line against players like Salah we probably need more pace in a couple of positions, and need to be smarter about who matches up with those players on set pieces.

• Like 1

Â