Lucas Digne

villan-scott

On 23/09/2022 at 11:37, The Fun Factory said:

Apart from Kamara we are also buying older players which I guess makes injuries more likely?  That could just be a speculative guess though.

I will say with certainty players pick up more injuries over 28 than under.

We shouldn't be buying any players at 29/30/31 unless they're going to absolutely transform us. That was the plan with Carlos, but we all knew Ings, Digne and Coutinho were silly.

Looking back, I think this will probably become our worst signing of the bunch. We purchased an injury prone and on the decline player and gave him massive wages and a long term contract without ever really signifivantly improving the position. He’s gonna be impossible to shift for the next 3 years

I can’t even be that mad at gerrard for this considering many of our fans thought and some still do think this was a very good signing. They’re making the very same mistake Gerrard did. Thinking just because a player is a “big name” they’re a sure fire improvement over what we have

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Thank you for not believing Rafa Benitez (who turned out to be right) and giving me a huge wage packet, gaffa!!

relax, yes the fee was @25m for a chap in his thirtieth year, and yes he is on £150,000 a week, But it's not forever, the next four years will fly by.  

21 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Thank you for not believing Rafa Benitez (who turned out to be right) and giving me a huge wage packet, gaffa!!

Sorry, that’s ridiculous. He’s made mistakes, but also created a lot and got some valued assists. He’s experienced and knows how to cross unlike other full backs. The hate he gets for being a ‘Gerrard signing’ is just another lame crutch people like to beat him with.

• Like 2

Just now, The_Steve said:

Sorry, that’s ridiculous. He’s made mistakes, but also created a lot and got some valued assists. He’s experienced and knows how to cross unlike other full backs. The hate he gets for being a ‘Gerrard signing’ is just another lame crutch people like to beat him with.

Yeah he'll be alright and come good, put him in a system where he's not exposed defensively and asked to cover so much ground and he'll look better, so will cash

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yeah he'll be alright and come good, put him in a system where he's not exposed defensively and asked to cover so much ground and he'll look better, so will cash

Everyone regressed under Gerrard but I’ve seen enough to believe he will shine under an actual manager. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

He has been crap. Rafa saw through his shit and we made him our highest paid player.

Its Disgraceful, a 37 year old left winger is our best left back on probably a third of his salary

Edited by Zatman

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Digne was an awful signing considering his wages and age. Low possibility of him sprinting up and down the pitch towards the end of his contract, when he’s 34 and still on 150k per week.

But he’s still a pretty good player who will be useful for another couple of years. 

Our highest paid player is Coutinho on £125k, Digne would be on similar wages

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Digne was an awful signing considering his wages and age. Low possibility of him sprinting up and down the pitch towards the end of his contract, when he’s 34 and still on 150k per week.

There is a low chance of him sprinting now. He'd lose a foot race to Targett 

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Our highest paid player is Coutinho on £125k, Digne would be on similar wages

Players salaries are always a bit of a mystery. When Digne was signed there were reports of him getting 150k. Capology and Spotrac both have him as our highest paid player at £160k and £163k per week respectively (just checked).

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

On 22/10/2022 at 02:18, Laughable Chimp said:

Looking back, I think this will probably become our worst signing of the bunch. We purchased an injury prone and on the decline player and gave him massive wages and a long term contract without ever really signifivantly improving the position. He’s gonna be impossible to shift for the next 3 years

I can’t even be that mad at gerrard for this considering many of our fans thought and some still do think this was a very good signing. They’re making the very same mistake Gerrard did. Thinking just because a player is a “big name” they’re a sure fire improvement over what we have

The Digne transfer / selling Targett was the first red flag with Gerrard for me as Targett was a solid player for us for the most part. Yes he was down on form and confidence but a decent manager should have been able to help him recreate his form from the previous season when he won player’s player of the season. Instead we just turfed him out immediately and replaced him with a far more expensive older player who had actually been bombed-squaded by a far more experienced manager at his last club and hadn’t done anything for months

Maybe Digne will look better again when we get a new manager who hopefully doesn’t play Digne in some of the ridiculous positions he did under Gerrard’s tactics 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

The Digne transfer / selling Targett was the first red flag with Gerrard for me as Targett was a solid player for us for the most part. Yes he was down on form and confidence but a decent manager should have been able to help him recreate his form from the previous season when he won player’s player of the season. Instead we just turfed him out immediately and replaced him with a far more expensive older player who had actually been bombed-squaded by a far more experienced manager at his last club and hadn’t done anything for months

Maybe Digne will look better again when we get a new manager who hopefully doesn’t play Digne in some of the ridiculous positions he did under Gerrard’s tactics 

The funny thing is that whilst Targett started the season poorly, Gerrard coming in actually coincided with a resurgence in his form. Those early games under Gerrard where we won a lot had Targett playing well for us. This is why I never bought the nonsense about how Targett couldn’t work in Gerrard’s system and we needed Digne instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

Back in the squad on a Saturday.

To me though young must keep his place. Digne needs to earn his way back in.

Young's performance mean he should keep his place, only reservation is he's played a lot for someone of his age. The experts will know but I'd expect him to get a rest soon. 

On 22/10/2022 at 17:07, Zatman said:

He has been crap. Rafa saw through his shit and we made him our highest paid player.

Its Disgraceful, a 37 year old left winger is our best left back on probably a third of his salary

Don’t want to jump to conclusions here after how poorly Gerrard had many players performing. We will see how Digne does with a real manager. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Â