Lucas Digne

villan-scott

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I agree with your words. 

But the PC thread this is not. 

Lucas Digne on the other hand, top signing :D 

Yeah

No, I made a mistake, sorry......I have corrected it, by deleting the post.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats the thing, its opinions.

Every signing is a gamble of some degree.....Only time will tell, if this works.....but this is a gamble worth taking, IMO.

In fact, I would go as far as to say, its a no brainer.....it didn't work at Barca, sometimes it don't, but it worked better at Bayern.....He has to have a chance working with someone, who believes in him and knows his best game.

One thing players need to play well, they need to be happy.....PC will trust SG and together, I will be surprised, if they don't get it right.

They are all a gamble yes. A player's family could hate the area and they never ever get going.

But that becomes more of a problem when you've paid a fortune for them and are tied into giving them £35m over the length of their contract.

You can't get these players wrong, it's simply too expensive (well, Man U can, we can't). And if you do, well you need to sell them and get something back. That's why his age is being discussed.

He's a good player. Similar in style to Targett, but better yes. He'll probably do well for us.

If he doesn't, we're stuck with him and our ability to spend elsewhere will be impacted. This is not a signing I would make. Cucurella for £15m in the summer to Brighton, they're the signings that set you on a solid path. This is undoubtedly a MON type signing. Some worked, some didn't.

Who will get the better end of the deal across the next four seasons?

Everton with a 26 year old Mykolenko for ~£32m

Or Villa with 32 year old Digne for ~£48m

Hopefully us as we've got the guy ready to go right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I don’t care if it’s to replace targett or not, if it spurs on targett to improve then that’s good for us, if not he can be reserve or leave.

This! We shouldn’t buy back ups but starters! Then Targett has to fight for his place or leave! 

46 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Digne is currently 28. A four year contract takes him up to 32 (approaching 33).

I reckon we're getting borderline on age, but I think he's on the right side of it. If he were a year older and we gave him a 5-year contract it'd be insane. A 4 year contract at his age doesn't seem like the end of the world.

If we can get 2.5 years out of him at full performance and then either sell him or have him as reliable but slightly past it backup, I think that works out well for us.

As others have said, it'd be nice to bring in a young understudy in the summer to complement him.

I think it’ll be 3.5 with a 1 year option 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

My main concern is the finances combined with his age, all seems a bit short-termist.  Its against the medium to long term goals set by the club that seemed such a great idea only a few months back. He seemed the least likely of the options available, the most expensive an safest option without the upsides a younger player could offer if things go wrong.

However ive been having a think about this and maybe plans have changed since Newcastles takeover. Maybe the need to climb the league fast has taken over?

He’s 28. You’re talking like he’s 35. He’s literally  in his prime. 

We’re buying one of the best left backs in the league in his prime. And to be honest the finances are a bargain.

The mere fact that we can do that shows huge progress. 

• Like 4

Nobody knows for definite how close this is or isn't right now, but if McNulty fell down his stairs and cracked his skull he'd be like "sections of McNulty's camp will no doubt have felt this debilitating injury represents an unwanted setback for the longtime BBC man, but at this stage it would be premature to assume anything definitive about the mindset of this most mercurial of wordsmiths".

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

However ive been having a think about this and maybe plans have changed since Newcastles takeover. Maybe the need to climb the league fast has taken over?

Good point.

Very possible yes. Hadn't considered that.

We've probably got two and a half seasons before they're seriously after Europe, three and a half if they go down.

I really hope Dan Ashworth doesn't go there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They are all a gamble yes. A player's family could hate the area and they never ever get going.

But that becomes more of a problem when you've paid a fortune for them and are tied into giving them £35m over the length of their contract.

You can't get these players wrong, it's simply too expensive (well, Man U can, we can't). And if you do, well you need to sell them and get something back. That's why his age is being discussed.

He's a good player. Similar in style to Targett, but better yes. He'll probably do well for us.

If he doesn't, we're stuck with him and our ability to spend elsewhere will be impacted. This is not a signing I would make. Cucurella for £15m in the summer to Brighton, they're the signings that set you on a solid path. This is undoubtedly a MON type signing. Some worked, some didn't.

Yes, we're heading into MON territory with links at moment. So long as these are the exception not the rule, it's okay. But does worry me! 

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The problem here is....I was mistakenly talking about PC....a senior moment from me, and subsequently I have deleted it.

but I get your point.....its tricky, because signing young players all the time, can lead to inconsistency....We do need some mature heads, to create the balanced culture.

In the past, it was easier, for us to attact younger players, than the ones we are now linked with....SG clearly has more pull.....but I suspect, its a tactic to get an improvement immediately to raise the profile and subsequently momentum.

Its a balance we need and I think, we will pursue......but equally, we need some here and now players, to break in to that European chasing pack.

I think the Brentford reversal has tweaked a few minds at BMH.....and they realise we need some mature strength to come in, to consolidate.

I'm not a fan of the length of the contract. Whilst I think the purported fee is good, I don't think he's that big an improvement on Targett and he's career has arguably already started tailing off. Full-backs arguably start to wind down earlier than any other position. If he gets worse, then we're suddenly left with a very expensive backup on a long contract.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Personal opinion obviously, but I think Targett is massively overrated amongst a certain section of people on here.  Don't get me wrong, I know there are also plenty of critics, but I see so many comments saying that from an attacking sense he's very good.  Is he really?  He massively benefitted from having Grealish in front of him and the space that created, but since Jack left, all I have seen is backwards passes and crosses being smashed into the shins of the first defender!

With Digne, I feel like the upgrade in technical ability will see us improve hugely, plus I think he's much more likely to complement Coutinho on that side.

I think in part we have a very likeable squad in terms of personalities and it's difficult to be completely objective with regards to their talent when they seem like nice, hard-working, professional guys. I include myself in this, but see the likes of Targett, AEG, Trez before his dive last week, even McGinn, Mings and Watkins. All great players and people to have in the squad it seems, yet to get where we want to be they will all eventually need to upgraded or sold when their value is highest, and that's going to need some emotional detachment on our part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yes, we're heading into MON territory with links at moment. So long as these are the exception not the rule, it's okay. But does worry me! 

In MON's pre-Neymar days, they were only £12m. Now they're £30/40/50m.

The good thing about Digne's age and his contract taking up to 32/33, is that he's not particularly quick anyway, so he won't be losing too much from what he already is with the age.

Once quick players lose their pace, they don't usually have much left to offer.

Edited by Beastmix

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Experience and winning pedigree.

Squad now has:

1x Ligue Un trophy

1x Bundesliga trophy

2x La Liga winners

2x Copa America winners (and a Nations League winner)

A Champions League winner

Numerous medals from domestic cups including Coppa Italia, DFB-Pokal, Copa Del Ray and Coupe de France.

...We were playing Christopher Samba up top a few years back.

Don't forget Steer also has a Cup of Traditions trophy to his name, as well as Davis and Hourihane still on our books.

722268e2-1189-49a1-b959-c26aaad37eca.jpg

• Like 3

Â