Lucas Digne

villan-scott

When I was a kid, I was always very keen to specify my exact age so I added the months when someone would ask. Sometimes I went as far as converting it in to fractions. Now as a 33 year old, I am very much on the side of the 33 until 34 side of this argument.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He was Newcastle player of the year when he was sold

That’s not the bullshit part. 
the bullshit part is trying to suggest the transfers are the same. 

They’re not. 

• Like 3

Aren't we the team that's lost most points from winning positions/being ahead in 2021 or this season?

That smacks of inexperience and I can understand why Gerrard is getting some older heads in. Digne improves us both from an upgrade on attacking and defending (imo) and also can help organise and use his experience as a top international at how to manage games.

I'm all for these signings, experience is something we lack in abundance.

Get him in. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Why? Left back is one of the weakest areas of the squad. 

We’re addressing that by buying one of the best left backs in the league for a decent price. 

I’m failing to see the negatives

My main concern is the finances combined with his age, all seems a bit short-termist.  Its against the medium to long term goals set by the club that seemed such a great idea only a few months back. He seemed the least likely of the options available, the most expensive an safest option without the upsides a younger player could offer if things go wrong.

However ive been having a think about this and maybe plans have changed since Newcastles takeover. Maybe the need to climb the league fast has taken over?

2 minutes ago, Viloon said:

Aren't we the team that's lost most points from winning positions/being ahead in 2021 or this season?

That smacks of inexperience and I can understand why Gerrard is getting some older heads in. Digne improves us both from an upgrade on attacking and defending (imo) and also can help organise and use his experience as a top international at how to manage games.

I'm all for these signings, experience is something we lack in abundance.

Get him in. 

We are massively inexperienced and naive, this sort of player will help us loads.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

We are massively inexperienced and naive, this sort of player will help us loads.

And having a squad of winners too - Gerrard isn’t going to accept it and neither should we. It’s about changing the culture of a close knit group and making it one where we aren’t so fragile defensively too. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As I said before I dont think Digne is a bad player but its a bad investment for a player that I dont think is a major upgrade

With respect, the key phrase here is "I don't think". Looks like Gerrard does, and I suspect he's a better judge than you or me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

With respect, the key phrase here is "I don't think". Looks like Gerrard does, and I suspect he's a better judge than you or me. 

Obviously its his opinion I still think we know better 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Experience and winning pedigree.

Squad now has:

1x Ligue Un trophy

1x Bundesliga trophy

2x La Liga winners

2x Copa America winners (and a Nations League winner)

A Champions League winner

Numerous medals from domestic cups including Coppa Italia, DFB-Pokal, Copa Del Ray and Coupe de France.

...We were playing Christopher Samba up top a few years back.

Edited by HalfTimePost

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Experience and winning pedigree.

Squad now has:

1x Ligue Un trophy

1x Bundesliga trophy

2x La Liga winners

2x Copa America winners (and a Nations League winner)

A Champions League winner

Numerous medals from domestic cups including Coppa Italia, DFB-Pokal, Copa Del Ray and Coupe de France.

...We were playing Christopher Samba up top a few years back.

Olympic Gold medallist 😉

• Thanks 1

Â