Yves Bissouma

Corleone

8 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The only way to MAKE this happen now is to over pay and we a re too shrewd for that.

Penny wise, pound foolish. Seems to a developing pattern (Mr Purslow). 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Premier League and England regular Kalvin Phillips will be found out playing at what next level? 

He has hardly set international football alight. Looked out of his depth at times in the Euros. If he somehow gets a move to a top 6 team his limitations will be exposed

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Bissouma will leg it as soon as he can, I'd be surprised if he earns more then 25k p/w there, his agent pockets a ton of money too if he moves. Brighton know he's off sooner or later, they know he will not sign a new contract there. They will just try get the max for him or let his contract run down. 

The only way to MAKE this happen now is to over pay and we a re too shrewd for that.

Yeah to Brighton it makes most sense to keep him mid season unless a big offer comes in. We won't overpay because we're not desperate and it damages us in multiple ways, FFP, salary, future negotiations etc.. 

We're doing really well as a club but it's just too competitive for us to every get near the top 4. 

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

You might be right Nick, if he is THE ONE maybe we should. 

I may be completely wrong but the one hole we have at the moment he seems to fit.  I’ve seen a lot of Brighton games on tv and he’s the one player I’ve seen that fits the hole.  Breaking into the top 8 is going to be really hard, having that core spine to build from is key and he would be one of those components to me.  Again I could be wrong but I’d go all out for him now because I don’t think we’d have a chance in the summer when the vultures circle.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has hardly set international football alight. Looked out of his depth at times in the Euros. If he somehow gets a move to a top 6 team his limitations will be exposed

We all have opinions but I can’t square this one with reality. He played brilliantly as a DM in the Euros (and even as an 8 when Southgate played him there), but DMs don’t set the world alight cos it ain’t their job. 

As for being found out, if he can do it for England he can do it for any Prem team.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2

Just now, Awol said:

Penny wise, pound foolish. Seems to a developing pattern (Mr Purslow). 

Although we talk about gaps of millions, there is still a fine line between being shrewd and cheap. I wonder which we are. Digne's fee makes me think we are not cheap but maybe other circumstances dictate when we are or are not.

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Premier League and England regular Kalvin Phillips will be found out playing at what next level? 

Intergalactic tournament against other planet teams.  Venus’s team is brilliant at the moment but Mars are the up and coming team.  Phillips would struggle against them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It does seem odd to me that - outside of your odd exception like Ings - despite the club being rightly unwilling to pay the added premium that comes with signing current Premier League players they're making a bit of a habit of faffing about trying to do so anyway. The (reported) bids for JWP, Smith-Rowe and Bissouma are ones that anyone could have told you were never going to work.

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

It does seem odd to me that - outside of your odd exception like Ings - despite the club being rightly unwilling to pay the added premium that comes with signing current Premier League players they're making a bit of a habit of faffing about trying to do so anyway. The (reported) bids for JWP, Smith-Rowe and Bissouma are ones that anyone could have told you were never going to work.

Or maybe the club valued them correctly and didn't want to be extorted by teams like Brighton or Southampton 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Exactly, it’s almost performative - like old school Doug behaviour.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Or maybe the club valued them correctly and didn't want to be extorted by teams like Brighton or Southampton 

I did literally say that in the post. The point isn't why aren't they allowing themselves to be extorted more why are they (apparently) wasting time and energy on bidding for numerous players where there's zero chance of it happening at the fees being reported.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Liverpool will get him in the summer though which is our main issue in simply waiting until then. 

Do Liverpool need him? Would he get in their team? Not so sure.

And if they need him, why not bid now? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

I did literally say that in the post. The point isn't why aren't they allowing themselves to be extorted more why are they (apparently) wasting time and energy on bidding for numerous players where there's zero chance of it happening at the fees being reported.

Yeah can’t imagine the time and energy it takes to submit a two-sentence speculative offer for a player ;) 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Agreed. It’s a shame as a midfielder of his ability could transform our team.

Every club, every window will have a player they “just wish we got in that one obvious spot” - if we sign Bissouma it will switch to someone else. It’s always a shame to miss out on someone you think would improve your team but it’s going to happen more often than not.

Â