Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I understand some comments about whether we should or shouldn't sign him.

However, to attract a higher calibre of signings you usually need to get that first marquee signing through the door to attract others.

The same way when watkins joined, the first thing he asked apparently was "is Grealish staying?".

I'm  not hung up on whether that marquee signing is coutinho or another player, but the fact is we need to persuade that first top level player to join us, and persuading the first one is usually the hardest task.

Coutinho would definitely be the type of permanent signing that would signal to other players that we mean business, and may attract players who want to play with him.

Good point, and I guess with the Impendijg splurge from the likes of Newcastle, Coutinho might be our best shot at an initial " marquee " signing. Due to his relationship with SG, and him now knowing the club etc.

I did look at the alternatives of what we could potentially do with the same money though, just in case.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I thought Gerrard was the marquee signing since he was going to attract names 

I think he is (too) but this is the Coutinho thread so better stay On Topic.

Agree with others Coutinho is potentially that first marquee signing that could convince others of a certain calibre to join Villa.

Yes Coutinho has been a bit hit and miss but he's still a top class player, again probably needs some stability and a preseason and we'll likely see some consistency from him (if he signs).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think he is (too) but this is the Coutinho thread so better stay On Topic.

Agree with others Coutinho is potentially that first marquee signing that could convince others of a certain calibre to join Villa.

Yes Coutinho has been a bit hit and miss but he's still a top class player, again probably needs some stability and a preseason and we'll likely see some consistency from him (if he signs).

I think the system is not helping Coutinho either. A wide 433 with him cutting in from a flank would work better than what it is now

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I think the system is not helping Coutinho either. A wide 433 with him cutting in from a flank would work better than what it is now

Yeah that is a possibility, chopping and changing systems or formations won't help him either.

Maybe it's the lack of defensive support in midfield?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah that is a possibility, chopping and changing systems or formations won't help him either.

I think its a combination of things in attack too, his best games here has been mainly Ramsey running onto his passes and these are type of players he plays well with. He had Sterling, Mane and Salah for a short time at Liverpool and Watkins and Ings arent able to do that

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I’d agree that there is a lack of defensive support but I think it’s more a case of lack of control in the midfield. We rarely dominate in this area, certainly not in a way that makes us solid. Even when we’re on top in games there’s a certain amount of fragility about us. We never feel far away from a cock up. 

So ultimately you’re right we do need defensive support in midfield but what I’m trying to say is that we need to be better at owning the midfield, in a way that makes us solid at the back but doesn’t take away the attacking threat. A really good CB that can read the game and link with the midfield would be another excellent acquisition, that would bring out the best in Coutinho and the rest of the team.  What we’d give for another Macca. Us and every other team on the planet. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

The same way when watkins joined, the first thing he asked apparently was "is Grealish staying?".

Watkins was not a marquee signing and is lucky to be at a club like Villa. I'm sure he'd have signed whether Grealish was staying or not.

39 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Watkins was not a marquee signing and is lucky to be at a club like Villa. I'm sure he'd have signed whether Grealish was staying or not.

I am pretty sure that was Buendias quote and he made a pissed off tweet when he left

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

i didnt say watkins was a marquee signing.

I was giving an example of an incoming player showing interest as to whether our best player at the time was staying, because he wanted to play with him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

What does that even mean "a club like Villa"? 

The championships top scorer signed for a mid table PL club

He's now an England International anf linked with CL chasing arsenal while we slip towards the relegation places, so at what point does it become "a club like Villa are lucky to have him"? 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think I’ve heard every different eventuality reported by newspapers now.

He’s happy and wants to stay. He wants to leave. We can’t afford the fee. We want the fee cut in half. We can afford the fee but not the wages. Other clubs are interested. He’s off to Newcastle.

I don’t think anybody knows what’s going on. I really hope he stays because he produces moments of pure class that define seasons. His turn and pass to Ramsey against Leeds this year was genuinely one of the best things I’ve seen a Villa player do at Villa park for a long time.

Our decline in form is a major concern. I think this will affect the overall decision.

Thats the way i see it. 

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

I thought Gerrard was the marquee signing since he was going to attract names 

Only according to the UK media. In reality he was a good player back in the day but is completely unproven as a manager.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

What does that even mean "a club like Villa"? 

The championships top scorer signed for a mid table PL club

He's now an England International anf linked with CL chasing arsenal while we slip towards the relegation places, so at what point does it become "a club like Villa are lucky to have him"? 

I mean he's barely mid table PL standard so is lucky to be at this level. I'd be shocked if Arsenal went for him.

Edited by Tom13

I think the most frustrating thing has been how hot and cold he’s been. Some games you watch him and think “this is it! This is why we need to sign him!” And other games you forget he’s even there. However, that being said, I’d want to keep him as long as it’s not for silly money. For me, letting him go would be a sign of lack of ambition because he’s still our best player by miles. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think I’ve heard every different eventuality reported by newspapers now.

He’s happy and wants to stay. He wants to leave. We can’t afford the fee. We want the fee cut in half. We can afford the fee but not the wages. Other clubs are interested. He’s off to Newcastle.

I don’t think anybody knows what’s going on. I really hope he stays because he produces moments of pure class that define seasons. His turn and pass to Ramsey against Leeds this year was genuinely one of the best things I’ve seen a Villa player do at Villa park for a long time.

Our decline in form is a major concern. I think this will affect the overall decision.

I don't believe any of these stories in the media about Coutinho, they are created to generate clicks.  The media had him linked with about 5 other clubs when he was about to sign with us in January.

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Lol,.if I feed into this overly dramatic narrative.

Part of the reason we are " slipping towards the releagtion places " is because said England International often fails to finish and control a ball in key areas. Lol

Â