VT Game of the Year 2021

villa4europe

seeing as we've taken the jump for the album and movies i thought id start the game of the year

Disco Elysium for me, im having it seeing as i played the console edition and that was this year 😜 hard to explain exactly what it is, part point and click, part RPG, got a simple but great art style and one of the best narratives i've played in a long time, its also deep, very deep, its a lot of reading but it never feels wasted

after that it took me a long time to play it but RE8

quiet year for me, will no doubt play a bit of halo and forza over christmas but im not a fan of either so they wont make my list, got to play R&C and pschyonauts still, hoping deaths door makes game pass soon, should have picked up deathloop at black friday but didnt

Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Scarlet Nexus

Cris Tales

Tales of Arise

Life is Strange True Colours

One of these. I would have to say the game I've enjoyed most has been ME.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Depending on halo I think the computer game show podcast will have dread or deaths door as theirs 

TCGS should go Death's Door based on their discussions year - I think they all played it and they all loved it. But their format means anything could win.

• Like 1

I’m a slow gamer, so my gaming experience is like 2018-2020 games at the moment.  

So the best 3 games I played this year are:

1 - The Last of Us 2

2 - Horizon Zero Dawn

3 - God of War (2018 remake)

All 3 are probably the best games I’ve played in this generation of console (PS4).

Edited by ender4
  • Like 2

Discounting remakes and ports, there's nothing that really jumps out - not even an indie darling that I haven't got around to playing.

Age of Empires 4 looks like it is fun and it's surprising that they didn't completely mess it up, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to play it over Aoe2 DE unless you are already bored of that game.

Loop hero has been ported to the switch and came out this year so will look to pick that up as that could be a contender.

Best game I've played this year? Return of the Obra Dinn. a 5-10 hour game where you play as an insurance adjuster trying to piece together what happened to a crew of an abandoned ship. An unforgettable experience.

Edited by RunRickyRun

I’m surprised no one has said Hades yet which is mine. I know it’s been on early access for a while but it only officially released this year so I’m counting it. As far as the narrative tying into the game play in a way that both tells a compelling story and is super enjoyable I think Supergiant has hit all the buttons that are important to me in a game.

The Sisyphean task element of the whole thing encourages experimentation in a way that is so perfectly tied into the rogue light game style that even on a run that never really comes together you never feel like you have wasted your time. I love the art style and voice acting, the characters are all fully developed and mostly very very likeable in their own little ways. I also think one thing that stands it in good measure is that it is both great fun to unwind with a quick run after getting home from work or committing to sitting there and cracking out a days progress with multiple runs. The end game can drag on a little bit but ultimately it’s one of the most fun experiences I have had with a game.

Other than that I’ve only really invested a lot of time into AC Valhalla and ME legendary edition this year and even though I’m one of the biggest Mass Effect nerds you could ever meet (I even have Sovereign tattood on my arm) I can’t give GOTY to a re-release no matter how much I love it or how well it was executed.

Edited by Eidolon

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Came out on switch last year

I didn't like it if I'm honest, not my kind of game, found it a bit boring 

I bought it when it went on sale last year and didn't touch it yet (story of my Nintendo Switch life really). It seems like a hit or miss style, hopefully it clicks for me.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Came out on switch last year

I didn't like it if I'm honest, not my kind of game, found it a bit boring 

I keep forgetting the switch is a thing, it’s pretty much just a Pokémon machine for me

RE8 is probably the best game I've played this year.

Hades is great but slightly overrated.

And then I struggle to think of much else you'd really call a GotY contender. GotG is really good but isn't quite there as a GotY contender. I don't think I've played that much else that came out this year 

Â