Football Urban Legends

KentVillan

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

One of the reasons England won **** all Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard they did so many flashy things but to win tournaments you need a midfielder to hold the ball and pick the right pass. Scholes was better than all 3

Gerrard and Lampard for example probably scored combined triple the amount of goals Xavi and Iniesta scored but i know who i can want if i want to win a tournament 

said in his thread in the main forum Gerrard to me was the epitome of the PL, played 100mph, smashed 60 yard passes with ease, hit thunderbastards in to the top corner, made slide tackles that started 5m away from the ball, have energy levels through the roof...sometimes that doesnt transition to the european or international stages sometimes it does, barca and spain dominated by playing 1000 5 yard passes a game...thats not gerrard, the notion that he could play in any team in the world was wrong because he had such a strong PL style of football

the crash bang wallop blood and guts nature of him that made him so good is also what limited him in comparison to other midfielders such as xavi and pirlo, your energy levels vs pirlo means absolutely nothing because he's capable of taking the pace of the game away from you suiting himself

scholes on the other hand i think could have played both styles brilliantly, lampard then somewhere in between

you could maybe same the same about Terry and a few others, we had players who werent really world class they were just top top PL players and the effectiveness of it was questionable because no one else played the way the PL did

• Like 4

Scholes was very good, one the best players of his era, but has become overrated after retirement because of comments by Xavi or whoever it was, and it's now seen to be somehow cultured and refined to broadcast the opinion that he was better than Lampard and Gerrard, he wasn't better than Gerrard, Gerrard was an unbelievable player and could've easily played in any league, people have somehow conjured up this image of him being an all action typical British midfielder with a knack for goals but little in the way of guile and skill, but that's a false portrait, he's one of the most skilful midielders of the Premier League era, and I'm not just saying that now he's our manager It's an old refrain of mine.

That he, Beckham, and Lampard weren't very affective for England or not as much as they should have been was probably more to do with how they were used rather than any fault with them as players, same for Scholes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, useless said:

Scholes was very good, one the best players of his era, but has become overrated after retirement because of comments by Xavi or whoever it was, and it's now seen to be somehow cultured and refined to broadcast the opinion that he was better than Lampard and Gerrard, he wasn't better than Gerrard, Gerrard was an unbelievable player and could've easily played in any league, people have somehow conjured up this image of him being an all action typical British midfielder with a knack for goals but little in the way of guile and skill, but that's a false portrait, he's one of the most skilful midielders of the Premier League era, and I'm not just saying that now he's our manager It's an old refrain of mine.

That he, Beckham, and Lampard weren't very affective for England or not as much as they should have been was probably more to do with how they were used rather than any fault with them as players, same for Scholes.

Sorry I could never count Scholes as truly world class as he played his entire career in midfield and never learnt to tackle properly. Had he been in a poorer side he would have been sent off about 15 times.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Lescott's knee injury woes at Wolves were caused by a local gangster taking a baseball bat to his knees for messing with his women.

Legendary tale.

We could do a whole other thread of gangster rumours.

Gerrard not moving to Chelsea because of threats from a Scouse gangster.

Whatever happened to Danny Drinkwater on that night out as well.

And then all the rumours of various players having drug addictions that have been swept under the carpet.

Just now, Zatman said:

The myth that Villa is managerial suicide after they leave the job . Could be the fact we just hired a lot of shit managers

and paid them very comfortably as part of their settlement agreement

we're a strange club in regards to leaving us, players and managers, very few go upwards even if in our position we should be more of a stepping stone

you'd do well to name 10 players in the last 20 years who left us for better things let alone a manager

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

We could do a whole other thread of gangster rumours.

Gerrard not moving to Chelsea because of threats from a Scouse gangster.

Whatever happened to Danny Drinkwater on that night out as well.

And then all the rumours of various players having drug addictions that have been swept under the carpet.

Barkley was another who allegedly had to leave Merseyside when he signed for Chelsea because of mixing with the girl of a high level gangster. 

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The myth that Villa is managerial suicide after they leave the job . Could be the fact we just hired a lot of shit managers

I don't think that's a myth, more a statement of fact. The claim that we've only hired shit managers seems to run into the fact that some of them are considered shit *because* they failed at Villa, I mean I don't remember many people saying Di Matteo was a shit manager when we appointed him, nor Lambert when we appointed him either.

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

"Keepers should never be beaten at their near post".

Oft-perpetuated by those who have rarely taken to the sticks, and therefore can absolutely get in the **** bin.

On a similar theme, if you’re quite tall then it seems to be a surprise that as a footballer you can be good with your feet.

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Oft-perpetuated by those who have rarely taken to the sticks, and therefore can absolutely get in the **** bin.

im guessing that existed before adidas and nike modeled their footballs on garage flyaways that can be hit at 100mph and move all over the place

its also kind of not helped itself, you're taught the golden rule of go across the keeper and that a keeper shouldn't be beaten at the near post, so the keepers anticipation to cover the near post but be ready to dive towards the far, once the keepers body is shaped to go far smashing it near takes some doing to save, you can do a keeper going near post if you sell him far

26 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Often spouted after a goalkeeper has just conceded a 100mph shot from 7 yards in the near post into the roof of the net.

He's got to do better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

and paid them very comfortably as part of their settlement agreement

we're a strange club in regards to leaving us, players and managers, very few go upwards even if in our position we should be more of a stepping stone

you'd do well to name 10 players in the last 20 years who left us for better things let alone a manager

Taking up the challenge, I reckon the following 10 continued to develop their career (winning silverware or improving significantly as a player) post Villa:

1. Crouch
  2. Hitzlsperger
  3. Barry
  4. Milner
  5. Ashley Young
  6. Downing
  7. Delph
  8. Veretout
  9. Gueye
  10. Adama Traore

And I suppose Grealish will probably win something with City. But you're right, it takes a bit of head scratching. For a long time, we were a retirement home for players on the decline, or a breeding ground for mediocre talent that had found its level and wasn't interested in kicking on.

I think that will change now with the new owners.

Which (returning to topic) takes me to another classic Urban Legend in football - that all football clubs have a "natural level" that persists for generations, and they'll eventually get back to where they belong. I'm not sure clubs like Wednesday and Forest will ever see top-flight football again tbh.

• Like 4

Â