Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

21 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think it speaks volumes that since he was sacked, 22nd October, there have been 9 further Prem Managers given the boot and he's not come close to getting 1 of the jobs. 

I think it's down to 1 of 2 things. Other clubs have looked at the Gerrard/Lampard thing and realised a 'name' doesn't equal success or he thinks that highly of himself, he honestly believes he can walk into another top job based on the fact his name is Steven Gerrard and he did alright in Scotland. 

I honestly can't believe nobody in the media has called him out for what he did here. If he was a foreign manager, someone like Javi Gracia, he'd have been slaughtered by the pundits but because he's their mate, it wasn't his fault. 

In my opinion, he's the worst manager I've seen at Villa in my lifetime. I've supported Villa since the age of 8, so from around the 91/92 season. I've seen some dross in that time but mostly when we had crap squads, so you can see it was a mix or poor managerment, poor players. 

Everything was set up here for Gerrard to do well. A good squad with some talented players, owners who are on a mission to take us back up the League and into Europe and even when he was doing shit, the press had his back. He failed woefully in every aspect and I firmly believe it's down to his ego which we saw in full force in that Liverpool v Celtic charity game, I could never imagine Emery doing something like that, it was utterly cringe worthy and something I'd expect from an inexperienced young lad. 

Anyway, that's my thoughts and ultimately - f##k the prick, he's a shit manager and a shit human being. 

He went to watch Liverpool games when our U23 was playing.

Got to question how invested he really was in the first place.

He never took to us and we never took to him. Match made in hell.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Giro said:

Just watched this again, Merse and sherwood absolutely clueless. 

Complete lack of understanding of football basics for me with no clue how badly set up, trained and managed we were or how poor a man managed gerrard was. This give him time stuff is classic rubbish from ex players watching a mate out of their depth and drowning. I assume he means give him enough time to get relegated than pile in with how much of a basket case the club is and how could anyone succeed. Thank god for emery to prove what we all know, that pair are about as inept as you can get when talking about anyone other than arsenal or spurs 

1 minute ago, punkiller1981 said:

Complete lack of understanding of football basics for me with no clue how badly set up, trained and managed we were or how poor a man managed gerrard was. This give him time stuff is classic rubbish from ex players watching a mate out of their depth and drowning. I assume he means give him enough time to get relegated than pile in with how much of a basket case the club is and how could anyone succeed. Thank god for emery to prove what we all know, that pair are about as inept as you can get when talking about anyone other than arsenal or spurs 

I remember the last few games of the season when I though 'This doesn't look great, but we have good owners, lets give Gerrard a pre-season and some transfers and see how it goes'.

After the first game (Bournemouth I believe?) I called for him to be sacked, it looked like nothing has been done right over the summer. Anyone even slightly invested in Villa knew it wasn't right. 

But some people in the media don't watch much football, so they can not make a fair assessment. 

• Thanks 2

Pre season is a lot of rubbish. Ok good for bedding in new players but a handful of friendlies Vs Walsall and some crap Aussie/US/Thai teams or whatever played in 1st gear aren't going to change much if the manager poor

Javi Gracia, Tuchel, Roy Hodgson, Dyche, Stellini, Hassnhuttl and Ruben Selles have all won as many or more league games than Gerrard this season

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Pre season is a lot of rubbish. Ok good for bedding in new players but a handful of friendlies Vs Walsall and some crap Aussie/US/Thai teams or whatever played in 1st gear aren't going to change much if the manager poor

Normally yes but we had played puke football for 6 months and was still absolute no change regardless of opponent

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I remember the last few games of the season when I though 'This doesn't look great, but we have good owners, lets give Gerrard a pre-season and some transfers and see how it goes'.

After the first game (Bournemouth I believe?) I called for him to be sacked, it looked like nothing has been done right over the summer. Anyone even slightly invested in Villa knew it wasn't right. 

But some people in the media don't watch much football, so they can not make a fair assessment. 

A rather searing indictment of football punditry and probably a fair one. I do get rather wound up just how low the standard is within football. Pundits are there for their playing career, or perceived "personality", but the ability to actually add value to our understanding of the game is totally absent. 

I compare football pundits with Osi and Jason from the NFL show. Osi and Jason are live wires, they are funny, they are entertaining, they are overflowing with energy, but it is all underpinned with an in depth understanding or the game they are watching and they are such solid professionals that they clearly watch ALL the games. On a live show they can draw upon that wealth of knowledge to add real context to the plays as they happen. 

Knowing that this level of entertainment with professional and insightful pundits is possible, puts the efforts of Shearer, Murphy, Richards etc to shame.

It allows the myth that Gerrard and Uni are somehow both managers and do roughly the same job. We keep hearing about Uni doing lots of classroom stuff. How many of them have bothered to understand what that actually means? How does that information get translated into a training regimen and then onto the pitch? Actually take a damn look at how different coaching styles with the same group of players can have such wildly different results. It should be a fascinating story how this was done, but all the average pundit does is parrot the same meaningless soundbites they have heard elsewhere. No professional curiosity or standards. Most of them don't deserve to be doing stadium tours, never mind high profile punditry.

• Like 2

I was in East London the day after the disgraceful humiliation at Bournemouth, when Gerrard had not long made the decision to strip Ty of the captaincy, and on the DLR platform i saw this geezer wearing a villa shirt, we started chatting about what is happening at villa and how gerrard has no clue, needs to go otherwise going to be another wasted season etc.

He used to go to the games with some other friends from London in the 80s and 90s and had a season ticket before and was saying how now it is terrible to see gerrard at the helm compared to some of the teams of old. if you had told me back then that we would be in contention for a European place i would have been astonished, just a shame Emery dosent have that 1/3 of the season as if we miss out its unfortunately those early results against the likes of Bournemouth, Fulham, West Ham, Palace etc which are going to cost us

• Like 1

I would say that it is now the opposite. Lets look at the evidence. With Beale by his side he wins rhe SPL. 

With Beale by his side he finsihes lower mid table for Villa. 

Beale leaves and he decides to replicate what he had with Beale by hiring Critchley  . 

It fails. Critchley then fails at QPR 

Then Emery gets the exact same players he coildnt motivate up to withing touching distance of european football. 

This would be the realisation that he isnt cut out for management and coaching.  He will be scared to ruin his legacy .

6 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I honestly can't believe nobody in the media has called him out for what he did here. If he was a foreign manager, someone like Javi Gracia, he'd have been slaughtered by the pundits but because he's their mate, it wasn't his fault. 

They won't either as you state, because of his pals in the media keep their head buried in the sand until he walks into another club so their wax lyrical wankfest can begin again. 

Anyone in their right mind won't touch him to be head coach and it's probably why they haven't either.

I can't see him being head coach at another team again unless it's a lower division team which he is obviously 'too above' in his own deluded mind.

F*** him. Charlatan 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking out loud, is it possible that in a perverse way, Gerrard’s lack of system helped Emery imprint his own style on the players quicker?

Basically I’m wondering if it was more akin to working from a blank slate, rather than having to take a bit more time trying to undo a poor, but at least coherent system that the players had gotten used to.

I don't spend that much time in Other Football, but the fact that the Grealish thread is no longer on the front page and that the Gerrard one still is is a sad state of affairs.

I guess the guy is a club legend now. We should build him a (shit) statue to commemorate the place he'll always have in our hearts.

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Feels a lifetime since we had that clown Steven in charge. Feels like it was all a (very bad) nightmare.

While we have went to a better place that scumbag has probably cost us Champions League but also self inflicted that the club kept him on

Gerrard's ego is never going to work in the modern game. The way Mings was treated was a clear indication of his crap man management.  

Plenty of these X players are uneducated,  they are picked for stardom at a very early age and their education takes a back foot while their ego takes on huge amounts of hot air. The ones that become pundits are the cream of the crop, that tells you all you need to know. 

• Like 1

Â