Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Romano wrote: “The situation for Steven Gerrard is really complicated, I expect updates in the morning on Aston Villa’s decision. 

“On Mauricio Pochettino, three English clubs have already approached him but his priority has always been to wait at least until the World Cup to decide his future.

“Let’s see if Aston Villa will be able to change his mind, but I’m told this is the situation.”

We should not be surprised if Aston Villa do decide to part company with Steven Gerrard.

‘In the morning’: Romano makes Aston Villa and Steven Gerrard claim (hitc.com)

Interesting quotes from Romano's newsletter.

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There’s 2 photos and whilst he looks like he has had a few he also looks really young so I reckon that photo is old. 

if it’s the photo doing the rounds on twitterverse it’s from 5 years ago and not now.  Somebody showed the old tweet from back then with the same photo

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Dan Bardell said that we were talking to Gerrard for weeks before sacking Smith. I’d imagine that once it gets to that stage the writing is on the wall for the current manager regardless.

Can’t imagine we’ve been sounding out Pochettino or Emery for weeks only to say “sorry guys, we just beat Fulham and Brentford so your services are no longer required. As you were.”

Or we have been talking to them both for weeks and they’ve both told us to **** off. Hence why Gerrard is still here continually improving us. 

25 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I know this Romano guy does have some good info, but this sounds like standard itk stuff. He can't be wrong from what he said there.

"He'll wait until the world cup, unless Villa can change his mind. "

Great. You could say "He'll accept Villa's offer unless he decides to wait until the world cup"

Means the same thing

• Like 1

Football Insider have deleted their breaking news. 😭

Edit: On Twitter. The article still exists on the website. 

Edited by Sam3773

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know this Romano guy does have some good info, but this sounds like standard itk stuff. He can't be wrong from what he said there.

"He'll wait until the world cup, unless Villa can change his mind. "

Great. You could say "He'll accept Villa's offer unless he decides to wait until the world cup"

Means the same thing

The Poch stuff isn't the bit I found interesting, it's where he's intimating that he'll hear more on the future of SG this morning - which in itself is interesting after last night's mayhem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Football Insider have deleted their breaking news. 😭

Edit: On Twitter. The article still exists on the website. 

Interesting, I just looked at some of the stories the author has written. He hasn't written much but also called the worst kept secret, Nuno being sacked from Spurs the day before he was sacked too. Lucky? Who knows.

21 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Dan Bardell said that we were talking to Gerrard for weeks before sacking Smith. I’d imagine that once it gets to that stage the writing is on the wall for the current manager regardless.

Can’t imagine we’ve been sounding out Pochettino or Emery for weeks only to say “sorry guys, we just beat Fulham and Brentford so your services are no longer required. As you were.”

While I agree that decisions are not made by any single result and that scenario you put forward highlights the absurdity, I do feel there is a sort of straw that breaks the camels back moment. And maybe the board feel we’ve already had it.

Put it like this, hypothetical situation - last year we’ve lost to Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal, West Ham…we go into the Southampton game and we don’t lose it, we win it. Do we think Smith is still sacked that weekend? 

I know Farke was sacked after Norwich won a match, so these decisions do take place irrespective of the result of the manager’s final match. But I really don’t believe Smith would have been let go after a victory.

And rightly or wrongly, I kinda feel like it’s true of Gerrard too.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

While I agree that decisions are not made by any single result and that scenario you put forward highlights the absurdity, I do feel there is a sort of straw that breaks the camels back moment. And maybe the board feel we’ve already had it.

Put it like this, hypothetical situation - last year we’ve lost to Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal, West Ham…we go into the Southampton game and we don’t lose it, we win it. Do we think Smith is still sacked that weekend? 

I know Farke was sacked after Norwich won a match, so these decisions do take place irrespective of the result of the manager’s final match. But I really don’t believe Smith would have been let go after a victory.

And rightly or wrongly, I kinda feel like it’s true of Gerrard too.

Yeah he would have been. Or he would have been given some stupid unachievable goal like 'you need to win 5 in a row to keep your job' 

7 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

problem is the fulham and brentford games are so close together so he will prob get both of the games....

Unfortunately this look likely. If he manages somehow to win both games he’s going nowhere.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We were talking to Lage way way before Smith was sacked as well. Which shows that the club do sound managers out while the current one is in post

Â