Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 16/10/2022 at 12:12, Tom13 said:

The reasoning for wanting Gerrard gone is flawed? How low is the bar exactly? Madness.

If we finish where we are now, the claims, will have far more legitimacy....but a quarter of the season has gone, and th Start is mega frustrating.

Hanging on to the European football claims, is an itch that can't be scratched, right now.....this team, in its present form, is way off  European football Status.

Interesting to hear the phrase "culture at the club" being mentioned.

Let's admit that it was very good when Dean was manager and picked us up after Bruce.

Now it appears that this "culture" has been undone.

With a football team, or a sales team, or a technical support team etc the "culture" comes from the manager, weak managers with poor planning and leadership then the "team" have no respect or desire under the leadership. Whereas the opposite is true.

I have had many rubbish managers who dont stay long, but I have had only one manager that I would totally respect his decisions and would walk over hot coals if he asked me to ... (and no I wasn't a creep arse or yes man!).

The point I am making is that culture comes from the manager/boss, and finding a good one is rare and difficult 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Is it possible that there is fundamentally something wrong with the club

and

There is something fundamentally wrong with the manager.

I don't think they are exclusive to each other.

We can get a new manager and still have plenty of work to do to change our fortunes.

But holding onto a manager because it's not all his fault, doesn't mean he isn't accountable for what is his fault.

I am the point where I would be sacking quite a few for failing in their jobs, but I know that's not how it works so I'll keep that list to myself 😁

I think you make a fair point there Oz.

I thought a more radical change, would come with SG, so I was wrong there.

I think many things under Dean, are still there.....whether, he is restricted, in changing things, or simply unsure of revolution, and favours evolution, I am equally unsure.

I felt a shift, in my confidence in SG.....when the transfer window shut.....I am unsure, what the thinking was behind, not building on the 2 good signings.....I think that has had an affect on us, and on SG....To me, he doesn't seem to have the same swagger, he had when he first arrived, I accept poor results can do that.....but I felt it since the Bournemouth game.

I personally, don't see much difference in the players, under SG from what Dean got from them....so if some say, he hasn't improved them, I would accept that as fair criticism.

28 minutes ago, Folski said:

1. SG has completely failed to implement a style of play at this club. Using my eyes I can clearly see that and short of "lads produce a bit of magic every so often", we don't have a game plan.

2. It's the manager who picks the players. We have youth players that have achieved success and he would rather persist with people who are not performing than give these a chance.

3. Nothing from our performances suggests anything is going to change, the players look like they are playing with absolute fear.

Looking at the profile of the squad, I think you are right, its unlikely, things will change, baring divine intervention.

As opposed to keep saying, he doesn't have a plan, or a style, or the system is wrong......Tell us what the the team should be that stands out in your mind, to be so sure its wrong?

Tell us what System, what Plan, or what style SG should be sticking with......what in fact is his best team?

Or should he be changing/ rotating  things every game, like Potter is doing ( albeit with a far superior squad of diverse players to choose from)

Next up we have a team with the worst defence in the premier league.

They have let in 11 goals this season and they have an xGc of over 9.

If we can't score against these we may as well give up.

Heres to hoping we can drum up some "moments of magic".

If Gerrard is still here all i foresee is the usual 20+ crosses that hit nobody and 0 goals scored.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Sad 1

I can see and hear all of the points.

I find myself agreeing with everyone!

What I can’t shake is the feeling that this bad run could be fixed by the players.

We beat Leeds Forest and very possibly Chelsea if chances are taken and errors not made.

Then where do we stand? Well….we are sitting pretty in the top half (in my dream world) can a manager stop Mings soft header to Mount?

Can a manager make McGinn volley instead of header against Forest?

Don't get me wrong here I’m still thinking SG isn’t the man.

I just think the new guy will be like the bloke who walked away with the jackpot after SG has been putting his wages into the machine for the past couple hours.

4 minutes ago, Chap of Steel said:

This needs to be said, sorry.

The Arteta comparison is totally not valid.

He joined Arsenal in December and by the end of that season had won an FA Cup.

There may have been a patch of bad form fans had to endure but he'd already shown far more than Gerrard has. 

...and when they were getting turned over regularly you coudl still see what he was trying to do and they played some very nice football in spells. Our first half against Chelsea was an improvement in terms of player performances, which to Gerrard's credit he's managed to get them motivated but the tactical weirdness was still evident and he had no answer to Potter's two changes. That's poor, and unlike Arteta you don't get the sensation that once the players click with what he wants to do the results will come.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, string28 said:

Arteta thing yeah not a good analogy for trying to explain SG poor record.

It like pointing to somebody that won million on the lottery as a proof that he lottery is a good place to invest all your money. 

It happened once, not like to happen again.

5 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I can see and hear all of the points.

I find myself agreeing with everyone!

What I can’t shake is the feeling that this bad run could be fixed by the players.

We beat Leeds Forest and very possibly Chelsea if chances are taken and errors not made.

Then where do we stand? Well….we are sitting pretty in the top half (in my dream world) can a manager stop Mings soft header to Mount?

Can a manager make McGinn volley instead of header against Forest?

Don't get me wrong here I’m still thinking SG isn’t the man.

I just think the new guy will be like the bloke who walked away with the jackpot after SG has been putting his wages into the machine for the past couple hours.

Make no mistake about it, there are a lot of crap players in our squad, who really should have been replaced - that much is obvious. Why did we only bring in two new players over the summer which were supposed to be improvements on last seasons starting 11? 
However our actual style of play lacks any real coaching. You can clearly see that. I’m not being funny but we appear to be over reliant on crosses and I can’t actually recall the last time we scored from a cross - Dougie shots from corners not included. 
It’s a combination of the players and coaching staff, being as bad as each other. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I can't think of a single good reason to keep him here. He's failing on every level for me, I'd like to say his signings were okay but given wages are up and player resale value is down I'm not even sure on that now.

Get him gone.

Arteta? 

Â