Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This is my favourite Birmingham Mail article https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-owners-steven-gerrard-25270385

Gerrard said ' I took over this team 16th, two points above relegation off the back of five defeats. Five defeats. So, in my eyes, I can see and feel a progression and realise how close we are and we need to change and fire on all cylinders in the final third. But I can see it being close to seeing the progression.'

We are currently 16th in the league and 2pts off relegation. You really can't make this shit up! 😂😂😂

This is comedy genius

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This is my favourite Birmingham Mail article https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-owners-steven-gerrard-25270385

Gerrard said ' I took over this team 16th, two points above relegation off the back of five defeats. Five defeats. So, in my eyes, I can see and feel a progression and realise how close we are and we need to change and fire on all cylinders in the final third. But I can see it being close to seeing the progression.'

We are currently 16th in the league and 2pts off relegation. You really can't make this shit up! 😂😂😂

Mr Winning Personality shining through as usual

Its up with the no excuses culture he tries to install yet constantly makes excuse

Quicker the poison is removed the club can move on to happier times

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He and Purslow really think Dean Smith was a bum who had us circling the drain for 3 years. The reality is we had never seen progression like under him in eons. We had climbed the most positions in the English football ladder during his tenure. This guy didn't move us an inch but will have you believe he's progressing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Pure desperation mode now. Frantically trying to lower expectations.

Lets just ignore the fact we finished 11th the season before and anyone but the most deluded of Gerrard supporters must concede our squad now is considerably stronger than then.

Smith got sacked for not delivering improvement on this. Gerrard desperately trying to move the goal posts so better on 16th is improvement. No one but Purslow and a select few are buying it you charlatan. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

These quotes come after openly acknowledging he's had to go back to basics to save his job and after significant investment  to improve on the situation he took over from that he cites to defend himself. You'd swear he was two weeks in the job. Some of this stuff is embarrassing. 

The ego is through the roof. It's what happens when everyone is blowing smoke up your ass your whole life. Completely incapable of taking a step back and recognizing he's not cut out for this at the moment. He has to claw onto anything he can to stay afloat.

It's why I kind of respect John Terry in a way even though he's an asshole. He knows he's not ready to manage and is taking his time and getting valuable experience. He's taken up a coaching consultancy role now at Chelsea and I imagine if he does start managing it'd be in the lower divisions. Could you ever see Gerrard being an assistant to Steve Cooper or someone? Not a chance.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

That Gerrard is a poor coach

I hear you. But you know if it were entirely that simple, there would be no transfer market. A superb Anyplayer One could be switched out with a failing Anyplayer Two, and no matter how poor Anyplayer Two was, he could theoretically be coached upwards to Anyplayer One’s level of skill. So we could get Haaland and he’d fall down to Watkins’ level under Gerrard, and Pep could turn Watkins’ into a scoring cheat code.

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Right - it’s disgusting. People say “well they both had us 16th in the Prem” - Smith started 13th in the Champ and was throwing in cup finals for good measure. This thread isn’t about Smith but it’s absurd when people compare them - the point of sacking Smith was to apparently get someone *better*

I personally wouldn't have sacked Smith when he was but I still understood the decision the way it was presented at the time. If we were sacking such a successful manager, it just meant that our sights were set even higher and he wasn't delivering on those expectations...which could only be a good thing for Aston Villa. What followed his dismissal seems like some cruel joke. The swiftness in which it was completed too, made you think we had Antonio Conte waiting in the wings or something. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I still think SG’s time is up, But we’re going to need more of than a new manager to stave off relegation. 

There's no way this squad should be anywhere near relegation. A new manager is more than enough to avoid that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I hear you. But you know if it were entirely that simple, there would be no transfer market. A superb Anyplayer One could be switched out with a failing Anyplayer Two, and no matter how poor Anyplayer Two was, he could theoretically be coached upwards to Anyplayer One’s level of skill. So we could get Haaland and he’d fall down to Watkins’ level under Gerrard, and Pep could turn Watkins’ into a scoring cheat code.

In this case, it’s more like SG is slowly turning Watkins into Samatta.

• Like 1

Eerily similar to Bruce. Came in stating about aiming high and going for gold....**** it up with no idea of how to find a solution and instead plays the 'would've been relegated without me' card. 

Shithouse. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Tomorrow will be exactly 1 year since we conceded 3 goals in 15 minutes against Wolves on the back of beating United....

That did suck mightily. If you were looking back for a moment in the last two years where we revealed a core problem, you could make the argument on that.

Â