Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

45 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I **** hope not 

Yeah, I want to be excited about the next manager. Rodgers wouldn't be the worst choice, but he's becoming yesterday's news.

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He certainly won't be going anywhere in a hurry. We have discovered a new 'pragmatic' approach and haven't lost for three games, that's not a record that gets a manager the sack. Whether he should be sacked is a different question (I'm in favour FWIW) but it's pretty clear that Purslow has a lot invested in Gerrard and I think we'll be sticking with him until we're deep in the bottom 3. 

Edens is probably looking at Boehly being cutthroat and thinking maybe it's time for him to be as well. I hope he is.

9 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

honestly, some on here (you know who you are Zatman ;) ) have been hating since the start and that's not very sitty-righty with me either. however it's been a year now and the results are not nearly sufficient after investment on the squad, a full summer to implement ideas and just all around time having been given. I see no improvements or even some semblance of a system and that's where I draw the line. I was patient with him all the way up to this season and a few games in. but we're just going nowhere with him all things considered. I can't see any evidence supporting that he'll magically turn this around. I don't see the point waiting around for things to somehow change for the better when our aim is a top half finish that looks well and truly out of our reach atm.

Fair and reasonable comments. I am giving him more time because he is a younger manager, who is still learning and I accepted that at the start. It is clear he wants to do well for the club too, it is not like he is coming here to be paid compo later down the line - like some we have had. I like his character too, he is defensive and has pride about his job. If people are going to attack him, he is going to give it to them back - I like that. That is a hallmark of a top manager. You need a big ego/personality in the Premier League. 

The board are to blame for appointing SG, especially if the remit was for quick/short term results - he is not experienced enough IMO. That was a misalignment. Go try for somebody like Mancini/Conte and back them. 

He won't magically turn it around but he can definitely improve over time IMO, I think he has adapted well to our poor results this season. We have been okay since Arsenal, I know "okay" is not enough for our club - we have every right and reason to be challenging for Europe given our size and stature. I just don't think it is right to sack him now, while we are unbeaten and building a defensive foundation for better football. I would wait until after Brighton and make a calmer decision on his future. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just **** him out of the club. He is not the manager to take this club forward, and the more I hear about how he is treating people supporting or working to cover this club in the media the more I'm sure he needs to be removed from his position. Just go now.

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think Villa fans have been pretty reasonable. I have been in then out then game by game now back to out again. I just dont see progress on the pitch and he has had long enough.

Its nothing personal. Gerrard seems an intelligent enough chap and has been respectful enough to the club. I just think he is too inexperienced for this club at this time. 

Yep, I don't think he's an *awful* manager, I just don't think there's been any noticeable improvement despite the big investment in the squad, and it's hard to see any long-term vision.

When Gerrard goes "pragmatic" we get ok-ish results, but nothing special. When he tries to implement his "vision" it fails spectacularly every time.

He has been unlucky with the injuries to Diego Carlos and Kamara, but we should still be putting away the bottom half teams regardless.

I just don't see an Arteta style turnaround on the cards, and I don't enjoy watching Villa anymore. I haven't really since Grealish left. I'm not out to get Gerrard at all, and have backed him at various points, but I'm tired of watching this dross, and I don't think there are mitigating circumstances anymore.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Villa87 said:

I mean it is pretty unanimous on here and general social media to want him gone. However, fans at the games haven’t yet made much protest. Still here the odd smattering of SG’s Claret and a blue army. Why?!

It's one of two things: Either (1) we have posters around here with better-than-average football instincts who see things that the general fanbase doesn't, or (2) this place is an echo chamber, the negativity has been infectious, and we're overreacting.

Beware the echo chamber effect around here. I do think that we have a lot of good posters around here (or I wouldn't be here), and I do think that the majority is right on this one, i.e. that SG isn't a very good manager, but the majority isn't always right, and the majority view here might not be the majority view someplace else.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TomC said:

It's one of two things: Either (1) we have posters around here with better-than-average football instincts who see things that the general fanbase doesn't, or (2) this place is an echo chamber, the negativity has been infectious, and we're overreacting.

Beware the echo chamber effect around here. I do think that we have a lot of good posters around here (or I wouldn't be here), and I do think that the majority is right on this one, i.e. that SG isn't a very good manager, but the majority isn't always right, and the majority view here might not be the majority view someplace else.

I think it's (3) he isn't completely embarrassing the club, and hasn't attacked the fans. It takes a lot for the match day fans to turn on the manager. I don't think it's that they actually think Gerrard is a great manager or the answer to our problems. He just hasn't pushed people far enough yet for the cabbage launchers to come out of the attic.

Let's assume for a moment that NSWE can see the problems with SG. Why haven't they sacked him? I can think of a number of rational reasons...

1. We've heard SG say that they're not going to bring in new players just to bring in new players and they want clear upgrades. That policy probably comes from NSWE, not from SG, and they probably think similarly about the manager. Perhaps they've approached the obvious candidates who would be clear upgrades (e.g. Poch) and have gotten negative responses. (That wouldn't surprise me. If you're Poch, even if you're interested in the job. why would you come in now, with European qualification out of the question and a bunch of injuries? The fans would expect an immediate turnaround and you know one isn't possible. Better to come in later.) Meanwhile, they may think that there's no sense in bringing in another untried manager.

2. They don't want to get the reputation for being trigger-happy, particularly given that the club had a trigger-happy owner within recent memory (Deadly Doug) and they don't want the club labeled as a place where managers don't get a fair chance. European qualification is out of the question, so as long SG doesn't get us into a relegation battle, they're better off waiting until late season or the end of the season. When they recruit the next manager, they can tell him that they gave SG time and a fair chance. They have a better chance of getting a better manager if the next manager thinks that he will have a fair chance and will be treated fairly.

3. Money-saving: if we're not going to qualify for Europe and we're not going to get relegated, they see no point in essentially paying two salaries (buyout for SG/new manager) when it makes no significant difference on our position for next year. (Of course, if fans stop coming to the games and they sell fewer tickets, the saved money could be offset.)

Timing is an aspect of all those reasons. In short, NSWE may think that now just isn't the time yet, even if they know what's coming. i wouldn't get frustrated that they're not moving yet. We may disagree about timing (e.g. we may think that it makes sense for the new manager to start teaching new tactics as soon as possible), but I don't think that you can infer that, just because they haven't moved yet, they're blind about what's going on.

EDIT: If SG does get us into a relegation battle, I have no doubt that they will do what it takes to keep us up, i.e. sack him.

Edited by TomC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Such is the apathy Stevie has left me that I watched the game on background today and didn’t even bother checking VT afterwards. 

Same dull dross every week. I almost prefer hate watching Bruce games or the hopelessly outmatched squads of the Lambert teams. 

But nothing worse than watching a talented squad go to waste playing “pragmatic football.”

Not pragmatic enough, when it comes down to it. Pragmatic means you get where you need to go without flash or pretentiousness. We've got no flash, and we're not getting anywhere either. Our pretentiousness is the very conceit of thinking we're so pragmatic, when we're just not very good.    

• Like 3

I said from the start he should be given 12 months, but that is nearly up and if anything, we are probably worse than when he first came in.

I'd rather us pull the trigger now and try and get a reaction to get the 3 points against Forrest. Get the new manager in now and give them time, hopefully the squad will react and get the club in a better position prior to the WC break.

I just don't see how it improves and that should worry those who are making the decisions.

• Like 2

Â