Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Reverted to pragmatic football to save himself. 

If the manager isn't confident enough to implement his main style to the team then what is the point? 

All he's focusing on is saving face and keeping his job.

He doesn't care about the fans that have to suffer the ordeal of watching us play.

When your club captain comes out and says he wouldn't watch us on TV what does that say about the fans who go to games and are being mugged off having to pay 40 - 60 quid to watch this crap. 

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

my gripe  with the tactics is, we have to assign/deploy, too many players to the offensive, to make it work, too many of our offensive players need too much help.

This leaves the defensive side of our game exposed.

getting this balance right is key, for me......but I fear, some of our players are not good enough to make the impact on the game, required.

I am not in favour of raiding full backs, unless a team can deal with it, the rest of our team, is not good enough, to live with that, plus the added fact, they are not that impressive, when they get forward anyway.

SG imo, is asking them to do things, they are struggling to do......I fear, that could still be the case with another manager.

Our team, still lacks balance, in terms of individual players, dominating their position, for the good of the team.....too many still get negated, too easily, which disrupts any form of cohesion or galvanisation.

Plyers need to be coming up with 7/8/9's........not 5/6/7's

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

SG imo, is asking them to do things, they are struggling to do......I fear, that could still be the case with another manager.

Our team, still lacks balance, in terms of individual players, dominating their position, for the good of the team.....too many still get negated, too easily, which disrupts any form of cohesion or galvanisation.

Plyers need to be coming up with 7/8/9's........not 5/6/7's

My take on this is Gerrard came to the league hoping to play like Liverpool, to play like Liverpool you need a squad worth triple that ours is. And for too long persisted with it, maybe 10 months too long. Had some success with it at times, against the weaker teams in the league. Gerrard over the last few weeks has shown to me he doesn’t understand the balance of the team and recognise how bad we are in midfield, making the same mistakes over and over again. He’s shown an awful lot of naivety and inexperience since he’s come in and he can come out and give his speech about being more pragmatic etc now but I genuinely don’t believe he has the ability to take the club forward. We’re not seeing changes or improvement! Imo an experienced manager would try and get the best out of the squad he has, and our squad is capable of so much more than what we’ve seen

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well SG should just get fired based on this when you his biggest supporter is critical of him doing the same thing over and over again for 11 months and not learning then he should go.  

If he’s not changing at least give somebody else a go before thinking they’d do exactly the same as SG and not learn or change.  

A new manager may try to get the best out of the tools he has rather than SG trying to put in screw with a hammer as he keeps doing.  You can’t tarnish the next manager with the same criticism as the current manager to suit an argument.  SG is doing the same thing over and over again, he’s not learning, he just blames the players, that’s not going to change.  He needs to go!

Maybe he is Nick, and this is it.......There is nothing in your argument to suggest different.

He has already helped Mings game, by his moves to shift the captaincy.....albeit, not sure McGinn is right, but then, who is, where are our leaders outfield?

He has already, admitted, that he changed things too quick, from his initial start, so he is learning, that is the very essence of learning.....I think you will find, I suggested exactly this in my earlier posts, he went more expansive too quick. mainly after Digne arrived.

So he is not doing the same things, over and over again, so I disagree with that claim.....maybe these things take longer, than us laymen, realise.

What, do you suggest, he walks in BMH and says, "give someone else a go"?🥱 its not working.....1 point behind the much reverred Eddie Howe, with a poor start to the season.

15 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

My take on this is Gerrard came to the league hoping to play like Liverpool, to play like Liverpool you need a squad worth triple that ours is. And for too long persisted with it, maybe 10 months too long. Had some success with it at times, against the weaker teams in the league. Gerrard over the last few weeks has shown to me he doesn’t understand the balance of the team and recognise how bad we are in midfield, making the same mistakes over and over again. He’s shown an awful lot of naivety and inexperience since he’s come in and he can come out and give his speech about being more pragmatic etc now but I genuinely don’t believe he has the ability to take the club forward. We’re not seeing changes or improvement! Imo an experienced manager would try and get the best out of the squad he has, and our squad is capable of so much more than what we’ve seen

I think you make some reasonable points.....He is learning, he has made mistakes, and so far, it doesn't look like its progressing.

Here's the thing for me......I am not as convinced as some, a manager change, with right all our wrongs......If SG was in his late 50's, I would be joing in with the naysayers.....but in manager terms, he is still young.

Look at Potters record, in his last season, he has finally been getting the plaudits.....2 seasons before, he was lower table.......Eddie Howe, is finally raising his profile and I think Frank will too.

It takes time, maybe its time, some of our fans, don't have.....I certainly don't, at my age....but Rome wasn't built in a day.

I look at our team, and I think we over rate, some players, and we think they are better, than what they reall are......I accept, you have to make some of them better as a manager....but balance helps with that too.

As a few have said in here, going down to watch us is boring, if I didn’t have a season ticket I doubt I would even pay to watch the shit currently on display, I used to enjoy going down knowing we would have a go at teams, I couldn’t even tell you what kind of football he is trying to play, but I can see many not renewing next season if he’s still here

Edited by rbcuk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Maybe he is Nick, and this is it.

Where? Southampton was a victory but it was literally two incredibly poor teams and they were just worse than us.  3 points great but nothing else positive from that game.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

So he is not doing the same things, over and over again, so I disagree with that claim.....maybe these things take longer, than us laymen, realise.

Mate you are off with the fairies with this one…

1 hour ago, TRO said:

What, do you suggest, he walks in BMH and says, "give someone else a go"?🥱 its not working.....1 point behind the much reverred Eddie Howe, with a poor start to the season.

No I suggest the owners/CEO fire him.  As for Howe/Newcastle, i couldn’t give a damn about them.  We are very poor at the moment, this season, end of last season, Gerrard can’t get a tune out of this team.  Aside from the draw against City this has been a poor start to the season performance wise, thankfully we have picked up points from two very poor teams/performances in Everton and Southampton and before you try to take positives from that we still only have 7 points from 7 games…1 ppg which continues from the end of last season.  Gerrard can’t get a tune out of this team and even you have highlighted his problems and I don’t see him fixing them and I don’t agree he’s helped Mings, he’s been fine.  McGinn has gone backwards with the captaincy decision.  Also after the Man City game SG went back to his usual team and tactics, just lucky Southampton were awful that day because it certainly wasn’t down to us stopping them.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you make some reasonable points.....He is learning, he has made mistakes, and so far, it doesn't look like its progressing.

Here's the thing for me......I am not as convinced as some, a manager change, with right all our wrongs......If SG was in his late 50's, I would be joing in with the naysayers.....but in manager terms, he is still young.

Look at Potters record, in his last season, he has finally been getting the plaudits.....2 seasons before, he was lower table.......Eddie Howe, is finally raising his profile and I think Frank will too.

It takes time, maybe its time, some of our fans, don't have.....I certainly don't, at my age....but Rome wasn't built in a day.

I look at our team, and I think we over rate, some players, and we think they are better, than what they reall are......I accept, you have to make some of them better as a manager....but balance helps with that too.

Could people stop saying he is learning. As you said yourself there have been no progress over the last 10 months. If he was really learning there should be some improvements by now. Instead we see the same mistake being repeated over and over again.

In other words the Gerrard we have now, will be the Gerrard we will have in the future, people that hopes for Gerrard version 2.0 will be very disappointed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Why does some people use his inexperience as some sort of excuse or get out of jail card. Did they also want Sherwood to have more time for example?

Fair. I would argue Sherwood had us playing more attractive football with much worse players as well.

image.thumb.png.6b144dfc1751633b3b04af74c8b454fc.png

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

15 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Reverted to pragmatic football to save himself. 

If the manager isn't confident enough to implement his main style to the team then what is the point? 

I mean if I’m getting to keep on football manager I am going to shut up shop or at least try too, so I think being more pragmatic when results aren’t going your way is sensible. 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I mean if I’m getting to keep on football manager I am going to shit up shop or at least try too, so I think being more pragmatic when results aren’t going your way is sensible. 

I agree. Getting pragmatic was the right move for the last game, we were desperate for a win. Most managers will get pragmatic when they need to steady the ship occasionally. I dont hold that against Gerrard in fact I approve. What is less forgivable is not having an effective normal style of play after 10 odd months and two transfer windows. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Any reason we didn’t let Deano continue to learn on about £4m a season less?

Â